Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
I am only 14 but learn fast and am excellent with any kind of technolgical thing,I have built robots and computers,taken apart things and also have various computer skills with a Mac and PC.I want to learn how to use X11(never even installed it) and learn how to use C or c++,maybe even use the terminal,what is the best what to go about this? Are there any good books that will teach me? Thanks for all your help guys...BTW I want to learn on Mac not PC

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
iQuit said:
I am only 14 but learn fast and am excellent with any kind of technolgical thing,I have built robots and computers,taken apart things and also have various computer skills with a Mac and PC.I want to learn how to use X11(never even installed it) and learn how to use C or c++,maybe even use the terminal,what is the best what to go about this? Are there any good books that will teach me? Thanks for all your help guys...BTW I want to learn on Mac not PC

X11 and terminal are not really developer related and if you wanted to learn them I would get Linux.

As for C or C++, grab Xcode and learn C using C Programming Language.

If you want to program Mac OS X applications I would advise learning Objective-C also through Xcode.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
Re:

So I go about it by buying some books,learning C,then C++,then objective C? On Xtools what all do I install and what doe each program do?what one do I need to learn on? thanks.Any other help would be appreciated.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
iQuit said:
So I go about it by buying some books,learning C,then C++,then objective C? On Xtools what all do I install and what doe each program do?what one do I need to learn on? thanks.Any other help would be appreciated.

C++ isn't necessary in the chain. Learn C, then Objective-C. If you want to be developing on the OS X platform, I'd recommend installing all of the options in the Xcode installer. Xcode will be your IDE (integrated development environment), and along with Xcode, you will use Interface Builder to develop your UI.

I've dabbled in Cocoa (objective-c with nextstep UI elements) and I would recommend the book Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass. He was originally a programmer at NeXT and taught the Apple programmers how to write Cocoa applications after Apple bought NeXT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.