PDA

View Full Version : Trade Macbook Air for Pro

nesu
Nov 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
Greets everyone,

I'm currently a freshman in college. I purchased one of the new 128G 11 inch MacBook Airs right before the start of school. I absolutely love everything about it -- except for the keyboard. It's mushy, shallow, and the keys have almost no travel at all. I really, really, wanted to like it, but it's no use. With as many papers as I have to write, the keyboard is a deal breaker.

Since getting an external keyboard is impractical, my only option is to get the smallest MacBook Pro instead. What would be the best way to somehow trade in my Air for a Pro? My Air is in perfect condition since it had a Spec hardcase around it from the get go. Price wise, they should be about the same, but Apple's trade in program only offers me $700 (for a "like new" $1200 laptop!). Any ideas?

Thanks.

altecXP
Nov 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
I use a mac USB keyboard in my office, a 15in when away from my desk and a 13in air when home. Sometimes with Bluetooth KB. I don't notice any difference in them

nesu
Nov 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
Everyone tells me that until I have them try the two side by side. The Air keys are just too shallow for me; they feel too soft. The MacBook Pro keys have nice tactile, discreet firmness to them that gives way nicely when pressed.

It's probably more of an issue with me than with Apple's design, but my speed and accuracy drop by about 30-40 percent on the Air.

Risasi
Nov 22, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wow, you're pretty sensitive. I've noticed the difference also and pointed it out to all my co-workers. They thought I was crazy until I lined up my 13" MBP against their 13" MBA's. The difference doesn't bother me enough, I could use either one and spend time on other servers and user workstation with a plethora of various keyboards. (I really hate the MS split keyboard).

Anyway, the keyboard, trackpad/mouse and screen are the three most important aspects because it is how you directly interface with your computer. I suppose you could say the keys are akin to the tires on your car. So I'd recommend seeing if you can use a 13" MBP for a couple days and make sure it's really what you want. If so keep it, then sell the Air on craigslist.

joshuaginter
Nov 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
I completely agree with the OP on this one. After playing around with my girlfriend's 13" Air, I felt the difference between the 11" and 13" keyboards. I can only imagine what the difference would be between the 11" and 13" Pro.

socrates key
Nov 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
How about using an external monitor and wireless keyboard/trackpad for those long typing sessions.

Kenny Pollock
Nov 22, 2011, 09:59 PM
I have a 13" MBP and I'd be interested... I just got an iMac for my office so now I need something smaller. Shoot me a message or email, my email address is at http://www.csbykp.com

justaregularjoe
Nov 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
I would also like to throw my name in this trading idea pool. Where are you in the world, OP?

I don't have a fancy website though. ;)

Captain Dynamo
Nov 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
Funny, I traded the other direction! Got my 2011 13" MBP fully dressed w 8gb of RAM and a 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive, then decided I wanted an Air. I don't regret it...Hope your trade works well for you.:)

nesu
Nov 23, 2011, 12:06 AM
I suppose you could say the keys are akin to the tires on your car. So I'd recommend seeing if you can use a 13" MBP for a couple days and make sure it's really what you want.
I managed to get some hands on time with a suitemate's MBP and I'm pretty sure that that's the way I want to go.

How about using an external monitor and wireless keyboard/trackpad for those long typing sessions.
I thought about it, but it would defeat the purpose of having a laptop. I also usually work in libraries and such.

Funny, I traded the other direction! Got my 2011 13" MBP fully dressed w 8gb of RAM and a 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive, then decided I wanted an Air. I don't regret it...Hope your trade works well for you.:)
I completely understand why. I absolutely love the air, but since 80% of what I do on it typing, we must regretfully part.

Where are you in the world, OP?)
Trading would be a more ideal scenario than selling and buying, but I'm not sure if it would be possible when not dealing locally; I currently live in Connecticut.

nesu
Nov 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
Also, If I were to try to sell it on Craigslist, what do you think would be a fair price? I have the 11-inch, 128GB, 1.6GHz i5, 4GB model. It's like new, with all accessories, including the original box. The warranty is good for another 9 months too. Thanks.

Risasi
Nov 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
I would guess $1000-$1100 for the right buyer. Might take a little bit of time to sell it, especially right now because you have all the Black Friday sales coming up.

NutsNGum
Nov 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
Check the refurb store, you're going to be competing with whatever the reduced price of all those models are, and they come with a year's warranty. I'd try and adjust your price accordingly.

Lee Adama
Nov 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
Probably the worst time to sell. I would wait until after the holidays if you can. Or just take a bath on it.

Trade it in to a store, you'll get raped. Sell on Craigslist, you'll get low balled.

justaregularjoe
Nov 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
Trading would be a more ideal scenario than selling and buying, but I'm not sure if it would be possible when not dealing locally; I currently live in Connecticut.

Connecticut, huh? Guess that makes Ottawa a little inaccessible. Sadface.

nesu
Nov 24, 2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I probably should wait at least until the holiday promotions end. Oh well.

Nychot
Nov 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
I got rid of my mba 11" because the keyboard does truly sux and the screen is too small. I bought it as an open box item at best buy. Wound up with a best buy open box early 2011 base 13" mbp and it is the best laptop ive ever had. And the keyboard is as good as the apple bluetooth kb i use with my desktop mini and the mbp trackpad is as good as my bluetooth apple magic trackpad. Luckilly i got rid of my mba on the last day of the 14 day best buy return policy and got my mbp for just $800 when best buy had a speceal open box deal going two weeks ago. Its the greatest trade off if you want a superb laptop with a great keyboard.

gentlefury
Jan 9, 2012, 05:00 PM
If the keyboard is the problem you will be disappointed....all macbook and even the desktop keyboards feel identical now.