Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vorsicht!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
I currently own the Speck Pixelskin HD and the Burton Fitted (as well as a candy shell). I was getting annoyed with the bulk that the Candyshell added (though I love the case) and was looking for something a little slimmer which still offered half decent protection.

I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on which would protect better against a drop, the fitted or the Pixelskin HD?

I know the fitted does not have the volume/silent ringers covered, but I am not overly concerned with those. I like how the fitted has a hard plastic shell and a fairly deep bevel around the screen to hopefully keep it from contacting the ground. However I am a little worried that the case might pop into two pieces upon dropping it.

The Pixelskin HD, although it is one piece and has button protection, the TPU seems quite thin, and the bevel is quite shallow. I know that Speck rates the Pixelskin HD higher at "extra protection" than the Fitted at "strong protection" but I am somewhat skeptical.

What does everyone else think? Do you have any other suggestions for a case that offers decent protection but is slimmer than a candyshell?

Thanks

-Vorsicht!

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't have any experience with the burton case but both my wife and I have used the pixelskin hd on our iPhones for a while. I am very pleased with the drop protection, we've both dropped our phones multiple times without any problems. Also, I love that the pixelskin hd is easy to get on and off, I have a battery case that I switch between occasionally and they're no concerns with the case ever "wearing out" in any sense. It also makes it easy to take off to clean your phone if you want. I've found it to be the perfect bland of hard and soft as well as the grip being good without being sticky or tacky is anyway. Lastly, I am very anal about the fit of my cases and the pixelskin hd fits perfect.

I just ordered the new version for my 4S and I'm looking forward to the larger camera cutout for the flash.

With all that being said, I vote for the pixelskin hd:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.