Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowychick2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
I am rather confused on the type of external battery there is in the market. Can someone tell me what is the difference between the 5500Mah and other values? What does the value means and which value is the best for iPhone 4s and iPad 2? Thanks..

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
A higher mAh rating gives a longer battery life, for example a 2200mAh battery will last twice as long compared to a 1100mAh battery.
An iphone 4S has about 1300mAh IIRC, so you have something to compare with, if you for example get a 1300mAh battery you'll have double the battery time with it, if you get for example a 2600mAh battery you will have 3 times the battery life.. and so on!

So what is best for you is for you to decide as the price may vary greatly on the ones that a lower rated vs the higher rated batteries. Ofcourse the higher the mAh rating the longer the battery life, but if it's any good is up to you. Ofcourse a bigger battery that holds a charge longer will also weigh much more and be bigger if you know what i'm saying.

snowychick2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
A higher mAh rating gives a longer battery life, for example a 2200mAh battery will last twice as long compared to a 1100mAh battery.
An iphone 4S has about 1300mAh IIRC, so you have something to compare with, if you for example get a 1300mAh battery you'll have double the battery time with it, if you get for example a 2600mAh battery you will have 3 times the battery life.. and so on!

So what is best for you is for you to decide as the price may vary greatly on the ones that a lower rated vs the higher rated batteries. Ofcourse the higher the mAh rating the longer the battery life, but if it's any good is up to you. Ofcourse a bigger battery that holds a charge longer will also weigh much more and be bigger if you know what i'm saying.

Oh.. But if i buy a higher mAh will it spoil the iPhone battery? So if I just want an external battery as a backup in case my iPhone battery is drain, i'll just need a lower mAh, for example, 1300mAh to help me last till I get home and charge right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.