Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drdimento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I have been on M$ Front Page from 2002 till now and since switching to Mac's (MacBook Pro, MacPro, iPad, iPhone, etc.) in 2008 on I am very discouraged to find that I have to keep one Mac with Boot Camp activated so that I can have a Windows XP Pro and M$ Front Page 2003 installed to do some very easy and simple non complicated WYSIWYG edits.

Does anyone know if anything that works similar to Front Page? I've tried RapidWeaver, iWeb, Nvu, Sandvox, and KompoSer (or something like that) and all of them are either "theme based" or they will not recognize or do any changes on Front Page built pages. Oh let me say I've also tried Dreamweaver and I'd rather have wisdom teeth pulled than use that extremely difficult Adobe application which ALSO does not recognize or do much of anything with FP pages.

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

drdimento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
South-Central Ohio
FrontPage does not play well with anything else. Sounds like you would be well-served by actually learning some HTML and making web pages that way.

I actually know HTML and learned it before FrontPage and for the first 3 months of my former web design business I used HTML text editing using M$ NotePad which was a recommendation by a web designer then I came across FP 2002 and installed it and began to use it then upgraded to 2003 and loved it even more (split screen) and use it fluently for time savings and pretty darn WYSIWYG other than a few things.

Thus, I don't have the time to type code and do things so antiquated accordingly and would like a fast way so I don't have to close out Lion by shutting down and rebooting all the time. I have over 200 websites that need updating regularly and typing code is cumbersome. If there is no other blank page non themed editor that is somewhat simple I'll just keep what I have but therein Mac/Lion loses out to Windows which I don't like. Moreover, Dreamweaver is great BUT why would anyone want to complicate web design so much for the average guy? And why isn't there a simple solution from Adobe or someone else?

Just a great app, which means prob M$ didn't design it :D

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Welcome to the year 2001 with the idiotic $ in Micro$oft.... anyway....

You could look at replacing some of the site with a CMS that offers 'online' WYSIWYG editors, My dad runs a website for a band and uses Frontpage 2003, I haven't found anything to replace it without developing a full new PHP system with a admin section for him to edit his site....

Looks like you may be stuck with Frontpage unless you heed what others have said and learn to code in pure HTML and/or ASP/PHP etc.

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
And why isn't there a simple solution from Adobe or someone else?

Why on earth would another company develop and support a product that Microsoft itself dumped 8 years ago? Does it even run on Windows 7? Probably not, so if Microsoft moved on and ditched it and doesn't even support it anymore, why the hell would anyone else?

If you want to run it, and Bootcamp seems a drag invest in one of the virtualisation programs.

Fusion - http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
or Parallels - http://www.parallels.com/au/

Personally I use Fusion, and it works great. I have set up Spaces on my MAC, so OS X is in 1 space and Windows is in the next. I can seamlessly switch between the 2 all day, in seconds.

I have never used Parallels, but do some research and see if either of these would suit your needs.

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I have been on M$ Front Page from 2002 till now and since switching to Mac's (MacBook Pro, MacPro, iPad, iPhone, etc.) in 2008 on I am very discouraged to find that I have to keep one Mac with Boot Camp activated so that I can have a Windows XP Pro and M$ Front Page 2003 installed to do some very easy and simple non complicated WYSIWYG edits.

Does anyone know if anything that works similar to Front Page? I've tried RapidWeaver, iWeb, Nvu, Sandvox, and KompoSer (or something like that) and all of them are either "theme based" or they will not recognize or do any changes on Front Page built pages. Oh let me say I've also tried Dreamweaver and I'd rather have wisdom teeth pulled than use that extremely difficult Adobe application which ALSO does not recognize or do much of anything with FP pages.

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dude, you should consider to upgrade to any other editor.
And since you are so lucky to be in this situation, do a complete rebuild of your webpages built with that /crap/.
Seriously, it would be good for the/you future.

Use Espresso if you want a WYSIWYG editor.
Or consider to pay the debt to review once for the next 10 years your workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.