Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports on a new research note from Jeffries analyst Peter Misek suggesting that manufacturers are already "scrambling" to react to claims that Apple is preparing to enter the television set market. And rather than innovating on their own, competitors are reportedly focused on trying to identify what Apple will do to revolutionize the industry.
"Based on our discussions, interestingly other TV manufacturers have begun a scrambling search to identify what iTV will be and do," says Misek. "They hope to avoid the fate of other industries and manufacturers who were caught flat footed by Apple."
Misek notes that Sharp appears to be retooling an LCD production line to suit Apple's needs, with mass production on the line reportedly targeted for February 2012. Such a development could put a product release sometime in the middle of the year. Previous rumors had claimed that Apple could announce its television set by late 2012 and launch the product by early 2013.

Whatever Apple's plans are, Misek suggests that competitors will almost certainly be six to twelve months behind with their own offerings, giving Apple a significant advantage in the marketplace if it truly does offer a revolutionary new product.

apple_tv_favorite_tv_shows-500x336.jpg
Sony has been the most visible company seeking to head off Apple's potential blockbuster entrance into the market, working to develop a "four screen" strategy across TVs, computers, tablets, and phones and investigating Web-based television services that would enable consumers to bypass traditional cable companies.

Apple has dabbled in television with its Apple TV set-top box and TV content available through the iTunes Store, but the company's ultimate plans are said to be much more ambitious, involving actual television sets incorporating Siri functionality that premiered in the iPhone 4S. The company has also reportedly developed a "new technology" for delivering content to TV sets and has expressed interest in offering "best of TV" bundles of shows, although content providers have yet to agree to such a plan.

Article Link: Competitors Already 'Scrambling' to React to Apple's TV Plans

MetalMoon

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
San Jose
Everyone, get ready to copy what Apple does and lets make some Android TV's.

But seriously, I am interested in what Apple has planned in the TV world.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Business as usual from the also-rans.

Steve Jobs mentions something about doing a TV and then everyone suddenly claims to be working on it already.

Look to Apple, try to follow as closely as possible, rinse, repeat.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
It sucks that Sharp makes lousy panels and Plasmas are better than LCDs, although I am interested to see what Apple does here.

TVs are so cheap now that I don't see why people would want to pay an Apple tax for a lousy Sharp television.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I love this. Jobs, not Apple, says he's got an idea for a TV; The industry "scrambles" to catch up and in reality there's no product to speak of. For all we know, there's no R&D either.

The Jobs Effect will exist forever. :p

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I actually wonder if Apples set would offer Cable Card again (as a way to get us away from the cable companies boxes).

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
First thing I thought of after reading the article's title was this:
ScrambledEgg.jpg

Time for breakfast! :cool:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Let's all bookmark this article for the next time someone says "Apple should stop being so secret and just tell us all their future plans. It'll raise sales since we'll all be excited longer!"

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
There are no "significant advantages" in the television domain because nobody has them and Apple won't either.

To be the "best" television out there it would need to be cheap, having multiple streaming services, have a sleek design and most importantly have the best picture quality.

Right now every manufacturer fails or excels in a couple of areas and Apple will be the same. I don't care if a television can read my mind to change channels if the image quality has poor black levels, uniformity and small screen size it has no interest for me and a lot of people.

An Apple brand will not pull videophiles away from their equipment and an Apple price will not pull budget consumers away from their Vizios.

infloopno1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
too late

once I found out that apple was bringing a tv out i decided not to update my flat screen tv. whatever they bring out i'll buy. i won't buy any cheap copies done by sony, samsung, lg, etc. #fanboy

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
And this is why I love Apple. They drive competition like no other company. I've got a Samsung 55" 3DTV and if it weren't for these rumors, the next TV I buy would still have a crappy interface...

If it weren't for Apple, we'd likely still have phones on the market with physical buttons and 2" screens.

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
fantastic! that's the way it should be. But too bad it takes hearing Apple is doing something new in their market to push innovation.

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple has the most affordable ultrabook, a phone that is occasionally cheaper than some of their competitors, and the tablet that brought the industry to its knees trying to match the price.

The idea of an "apple tax" is quickly becoming a myth.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Misek notes that Sharp appears to be retooling an LCD production line to suit Apple's needs, with mass production on the line reportedly targeted for February 2012. Such a development could put a product release sometime in the middle of the year.

40" and larger TVs are _big_, and Apple TV is _small_. It would be very easy to build a TV "made for Apple TV" with space on the back where you can slot in an Apple TV, and very short cables that connect the Apple TV HDMI output directly to the TV, and get power from the TV directly to the Apple TV.

If it weren't for Apple, we'd likely still have phones on the market with physical buttons and 2" screens.

We do still have phones on the market with physical buttons and 2" screens. Most of them are actually quite cheap.

This thing won't be called iTV

We have a awful TV Station in the UK already called ITV

Checkout their website itv.com

It's all a matter of money. For enough money changing hands, ITV wouldn't object if Apple calls a device iTV.

Last edited:

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Wow, and you thought the cell phone law suites were numerous. Wait until this cesspool cover gets removed !!!!!!!!

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
iTunes Ecosystem wasn't built in a day.

It took years for Apple to sell iPods, iPhones, iPads and other devices to create a stage for iTunes. The logic applies the other way too. iTunes helped apple to create a stage to sell iDevices other apple products.

I have been using iTunes to buy music for the past 2 weeks and its unbelievably awesome. I am a collector person; I like buying vinyls, CDs, DVDs but I guess even I have to change with the world changing so fast.
iTunes is so awesomely integrated with all Apple devices and its so easy to buy and transfer music. It's just so seamless. And a lot of music is cheap too. :)

AppleTV is there and is coming sooner than we all thought and its going to change the way people see and listen to music, videos, movies, TV shows etc.
Other companies cannot just dream about all of this in a single day. Apple has everything in its playground. They just need to show it to us. These other companies don't even have a playground; they're just dreaming about it.

We will see where Apple stands.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There are no "significant advantages" in the television domain because nobody has them and Apple won't either.

To be the "best" television out there it would need to be cheap, having multiple streaming services, have a sleek design and most importantly have the best picture quality.

Right now every manufacturer fails or excels in a couple of areas and Apple will be the same. I don't care if a television can read my mind to change channels if the image quality has poor black levels, uniformity and small screen size it has no interest for me and a lot of people.

An Apple brand will not pull videophiles away from their equipment and an Apple price will not pull budget consumers away from their Vizios.

Really I don't think the TV makers themselves may have a whole lot to worry about. Why? Cause from what it sounds like Apple would want to replace your Dish Receiver/Cable Box, TiVo with something that is IP based. I will be interested in seeing Apple be successful, because maybe then the FCC (in the US) will come to its senses and make ISP's separate from content networks (effectively making them dumb pipes) thus bringing prices down. Besides, no one else has been successful in breaking peoples reliance on Cable/Satellite TV in mass. Especially when dealing with live broadcasts (Sports, Local News).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
If Apple releases a complete TV set, count me out. I might be using a Mac mini and iPods but there's no way I'm ditching my current, new-from-last-year 23" widescreen monitor + :apple:TV.

New firmware for my current second-generation :apple:TV is alright.

An updated :apple:TV box, at the current price, maybe if the services are worth it, i.e. low-cost monthly/yearly plans, and if my ISP doesn't lower my monthly cap which is currently at 35GB up+down. And no, I don't have any other alternative for high-speed internet where I live.

tjhenn

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
Apple developing an entire TV makes little sense to me. TVs are purchases that people expect to last 10+ years. I've had my current TV for 6 years and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. Apple's business plan is for users to upgrade their hardware every 2-4 years. People are not going to do that with a TV.

I think they have the right idea with the current Apple TV 2. A box that uses your TV (any HDMI TV you choose) as a monitor. If they would build that idea out a bit (thinking a few more apps) and maybe some streaming deals and allowing Siri like control via their Remote app, then you have everything that a full Apple TV could do in a little, relatively inexpensive box that can be upgraded every 2 years with out much hesitation from the user.

If Apple did build a TV, it would be gorgeous, nicely integrated into the Apple ecosystem, but it would likely cost upwards of $2000 or more and only come in one or two sizes, which may be a turnoff to the TV buying public.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
fantastic! that's the way it should be. But too bad it takes hearing Apple is doing something new in their market to push innovation.

Don't talk crap.

You think television design has been doing nothing since it was invented by Baird? Every couple of years new interfaces, features, display technologies and construction methods appear.

Apple had nothing to do with those.

----------

Really I don't think the TV makers themselves may have a whole lot to worry about. Why? Cause from what it sounds like Apple would want to replace your Dish Receiver/Cable Box, TiVo with something that is IP based.

That's not going to happen either despite our best wishes. Cablecos and providers would rather burn the US to the ground than allow their profits to drop by losing subscribers. So that means either massive increases in broadband pricing or data caps to compensate.

Apple can't even make a set top to work with the normal cable system without it guaranteed to be screwed by poor CableCARD support and the required idiocy of the SDV tuning adapter that cable companies forced on users.

I'm on Time Warner Cable and still can't watch HBO on mobile devices because Time Warner Cable still haven't reached a carriage agreement.

daveheinzel

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The concept of Siri on a TV makes little sense to me. I prefer onscreen menus where I can see what media I have over a voice-controlled system that requires me to know specifically what I already have available. Also, the idea of talking to my TV or a Siri-enabled remote (or iPhone/iPod acting as remote) in the living room environment is much less appealing than how I use Siri on my iPhone. When I'm alone, Siri on the phone is ok. But I find it rude talking over guests or children to use Siri.

I know the TV would also likely have a traditional onscreen menu, but I just don't see Siri being a huge factor in whatever Apple is developing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.