Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Ok, so yesterday I bought the new Michael Jackson "Immortal" CD (don't judge) because it was on sale & cheaper than iTunes.
I imported it and it was instantly matched in the cloud.
The problem is that on my iPhone it shows up as 8 different albums because of the various artists and collaborations. Also, if I go to Artist/Michael Jackson/Immortal it only lists some of the tracks, not all.
So there is no easy way for me to just play the album straight through.
I have tried setting the Sort options in iTunes on my MBP and it's listed correctly there, as well as in iTunes on my work PC, which uses my iTM account.
But I can't get it show up properly on my iPhone.
Any thoughts?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Ok, so yesterday I bought the new Michael Jackson "Immortal" CD (don't judge) because it was on sale & cheaper than iTunes.
The problem is that on my iPhone it shows up as 8 different albums because of the various artists and collaborations. Also, if I go to Artist/Michael Jackson/Immortal it only lists some of the tracks, not all.
I have tried setting the Sort options in iTunes on my MBP and it's listed correctly there, as well as in iTunes on my work PC, which uses my iTM account.
Any thoughts?

Why not just switch the Artist to Michael Jackson?

Then you can sort your library by Album/Artist/By Year, to keep the album together, but the problem that non Michael Jackson artist go to the bottom of the album song list, thus throwing the song tracks out of order.

This is what I do. If the song features another artist, I put it in the song title. It's a PITA and one of the reason I don't like messing with online music (because all the hip-hop artists have 20 billion artists on their albums making a sorting nightmare).

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Why not just switch the Artist to Michael Jackson?

Then you can sort your library by Album/Artist/By Year, to keep the album together, but the problem that non Michael Jackson artist go to the bottom of the album song list, thus throwing the song tracks out of order.

This is what I do. If the song features another artist, I put it in the song title. It's a PITA and one of the reason I don't like messing with online music (because all the hip-hop artists have 20 billion artists on their albums making a sorting nightmare).

I could do that but they way I've fixed it in iTunes before was to tell it to sort by a specific artist.

Now, if I change that in iTunes will Match keep the user-defined artist?

Also, it's frustrating that I can't do this on the iPhone. Even though they are moving towards us using iOS devices without needing a computer, we still can't edit any track info on the iPhone.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
did you try settings>music>group by album artist?

you can also try changing album artist to various artist

or try setting an album to a compilation album.

I still don't know what the proper way is to deal with this...

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Sorting as broke again on iOS 5 with or without match. Hopefully 5.0.2 will address this and the iTM bugs.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Any thoughts?

In iTunes, try setting the album artist for all the tracks to Michael Jackson. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings/Music and switch on "Group By Album Artist".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.