Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
When I got my Air a few days ago it came with 10.7.2. When i closed its lid like most of you it went to sleep as it should, however when i would open it the screen would come on but I would have ~4sec delay before my log in box would show.

Today I installed the 10.7.3 combo thats available to developers, waited for Spotlight to reindex my SSD (took about 5minutes) and after letting my Air sleep for about 5-7min it now only takes 1-2 seconds before my login box is displayed.

If you are in the developer group I would love if you installed 10.7.3 on your Air and let me know if you have the same experience.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's great to hear, though I don't know if that was a specific fix as the developer release notes that were published here last week focused on iCloud matters.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
THe notes are:

Known Issues

- None

Focus Areas

- iCloud document storage
- AddressBook
- iCal
- Mail

I assume the fix is a side effect or just not mentioned.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I just let my Air sleep for the better part of 90min while I went to the mall, got lunch and went comic shopping. I came home, opened it and right to the log in screen.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
When I got my Air a few days ago it came with 10.7.2. When i closed its lid like most of you it went to sleep as it should, however when i would open it the screen would come on but I would have ~4sec delay before my log in box would show.

Today I installed the 10.7.3 combo thats available to developers, waited for Spotlight to reindex my SSD (took about 5minutes) and after letting my Air sleep for about 5-7min it now only takes 1-2 seconds before my login box is displayed.

If you are in the developer group I would love if you installed 10.7.3 on your Air and let me know if you have the same experience.

maybe i'm not picky..but now that I think about it there technically is a small delay, no more than 3 or 4 seconds though.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
India
Hope it solves the mail issue with Gmail. Neither does it work well with Gmail, nor does it remain open for me. Just closes unexpectedly after a few minutes.

NDDL05

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
That would be great. My Air (bought in September) takes about 4 seconds to wake, then another 4 or so before the cursor will respond. Yeah I know 8 seconds isn't a long time, but I can turn on my ipad and check the weather in that amount of time :p

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I wonder if it is a cacheing issue. Mine has slowed down some but not as bad as it was with 10.7.2. Still an improvement.

echo.park

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
try running this in Terminal - it'll wake up faster for sure

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

as for cacheing, run this:

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Who wants to completely turn off hibernate mode?

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
try running this in Terminal - it'll wake up faster for sure

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

as for cacheing, run this:

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

That idea is terrible and you spelled caching wrong.

echo.park

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
as for 'cacheing' I used the OP's spelling ;)

the first part simply allows much faster wake up and you can set it to any number you like - 3 is the default I believe.

the second part significantly reduces startup time.

'terrible' ? - that's your opinion.

over at MacOSXHints they reckon it's pretty sweet

Hibernate mode "0" means no caching on HD at all. Mode "3" means after 60 mins. This time can be changed.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I have had poor results with the whole instant on. From deep sleep it takes up to 15 seconds for me at least. My windows computer woke up nearly as fast with a 7200 hard drive. I feel like something isn't quite right.

Perhaps is the wifi what is holding it back? When I turn that off it wakes up more quickly but still is unresponsive for a 8-10 seconds.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Who wants to completely turn off hibernate mode?

I completely turned off hibernate mode. I don't see why it's needed at all?

My reasoning--

Hibernate mode pros:
- Uses less battery power, compared to sleep mode.
- Alleviates a potential file corruption if you run out of battery in sleep mode.

Hibernate mode cons:
- Takes up 4GB of HD space
- Longer to wake up, compared to sleep mode.

The first pro for hibernate mode is pretty moot. I have left my MBA in sleep mode for days, and have only dropped at most 5% battery. All those cons are not worth the battery savings.

The second pro for hibernate mode is not really applicable these days. With auto-save in lion and automatic backup in MS Office (in addition to almost everything else being online) the odds of getting your work lost or corrupt due to the OS having to hard-reboot from a dead battery is nearly zero. In the one-in-a-billion chance something is messed up, there is always dropbox or timemachine restore. And the only time that might even happen is if you're down to less than 5% battery life, you just close the lid without saving, and then you go a few days without charging it. Realistically how often does that happen?

The cons are real concerns for though. Time to wake-up is something almost everyone bitches about. Sacrificing 4GB of hard drive space (or however much RAM you have) is a high price to pay when we are limited to either 128GB or 256GB total.

So... hibernate is good for those of us who wear their batteries down to the single digit percentages and don't save before closing the lid, in the middle of a desert or forrest with no nearby access to electricity. The rest of us can safely disable hibernate. <3

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Just want to confirm than 10.7.3 also fixed my instant on problem on my 2011 air.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Could it be that this developer beta disabled the hibernate after 60 mins for some reason?

I know it's known to happen when running a VMWare VM - it blocks the machine from hibernating. Maybe this is a similar issue?

the-jobster

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Does anyone know if they definitely brought back "real" instant-on with the official 10.7.3 release?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Does anyone know if they definitely brought back "real" instant-on with the official 10.7.3 release?

It still has the "deep sleep" mode that kicks in after 70 minutes. Recovery from that still takes about 8 seconds. However, if the lid is closed for less than that it should wake up in about 2 seconds, may 1-2 seconds longer if you have FileVault2 enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.