Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericmc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Hi all,
I need some help, and I will try to provide all the background and info I can!

• I have been working on a project for a non-profit and all work is done onsite.
  • Ultimately, all the work is to be used for on-line distribution (no broadcast, or DVD).
  • They have a G5 PowerMac with Final Cut Pro ver.5, a MacBook with iMovie '08, and an AVCHD camera.
  • Because the G5 will not import AVCHD files directly (AVCHD and Pre-Intel don't play together), I am importing the files into iMovie on the MacBook(at the 960x540 setting), transferring the resulting .mov files from the iMovie Events folder (User>Library>Movies>iMovie Events) to the G5; then importing these .mov into Final Cut Pro.

Once the .mov files are placed into the FCP timeline, they have to be rendered. What are the proper sequence settings for these clips? I would think to just set these at "Frame Size: Custom 960x540, square pixels, and have it work? Also, the video that shows in the canvas is always smaller than the canvas itself. The video file says that it is 960x540 using Get Info. I have tried many variations, and nothing seems to work.

So my two main questions are (1) sequence setting so that I don't have to render the timeline on import, and (2) proper frame size that will match the .mov that iMovie imports from camera.

Also, I have tried exporting a FCP XML from iMovie and using this, but get the exact same results.

Thanks in advance.
:apple:

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Wow...that's a lot of hoops to jump through. :p

Anyway, what codec do you have selected in the sequence settings? iMovie transcodes AVCHD material to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), so this should also be selected for the sequence in FCP.

Also, check the field dominance. For most AVCHD camcorders, it's Upper (Odd), if I'm not mistaken.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I wouldn't use the 960x540. Takes a lot of render time. Unscaled export is always fastest (and more compatible with other apps).

ericmc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Anyway, what codec do you have selected in the sequence settings? iMovie transcodes AVCHD material to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), so this should also be selected for the sequence in FCP.

Yes, have selected AIC

Also, check the field dominance. For most AVCHD camcorders, it's Upper (Odd), if I'm not mistaken.

I did not know this about AVCHD, as a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that I have field dominance set to "none". I will try this and report back.

To CGBIER: Yes, I understand the inherent issues of working in 960x540, but when I was brought on board, there were already many location shoots that had been brought into iMovie in this Frame Size, and I figured I should stay consistent. Although, if I can import at full size moving forward and not have to render each clip when I move it to FCP, that might be what I wind up doing... Either way, thanks to both of you for the input. Any idea why the XML files would have to be rendered? Or if there is a different sequence setting that should be used?

Again, thanks in advance.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.