PDA

View Full Version : 11 Inch Macbook Air for High School Student

walpear8
Nov 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
I am a high school student and I need a laptop for the next 4 years. Would an 11 inch macbook air with 256 GB and 1.8 Processor be sufficient enough for my needs (word, emails, internet, iTunes, powerpoint)? I will also be getting a 64 gb iPad to be mobile.

Queen of Spades
Nov 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
I am a high school student and I need a laptop for the next 4 years. Would an 11 inch macbook air with 256 GB and 1.8 Processor be sufficient enough for my needs (word, emails, internet, iTunes, powerpoint)? I will also be getting a 64 gb iPad to be mobile.

If you're getting an 11" MBA, you don't need an iPad to be "mobile." That's the smallest/lightest possible computer and they're nearly the same size.

The 11" MBA would be fine for those tasks if you got the 4GB version, the 2GB of RAM will be limiting before 4 years is up. However, I wouldn't pick the 11" as my main computer for 4 years. The small screen isn't that great for typing in documents, powerpoint, etc.

Since you're buying an iPad, maybe consider getting a 13" MBP or MBA.

jterp7
Nov 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
If you're getting an 11" MBA, you don't need an iPad to be "mobile." That's the smallest/lightest possible computer and they're nearly the same size.

The 11" MBA would be fine for those tasks if you got the 4GB version, the 2GB of RAM will be limiting before 4 years is up. However, I wouldn't pick the 11" as my main computer for 4 years. The small screen isn't that great for typing in documents, powerpoint, etc.

Since you're buying an iPad, maybe consider getting a 13" MBP or MBA.

if its for college, I'd recommend an older 15" pro with a high res screen. Then the ipad 3 for being mobile.

Comeagain?
Nov 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
if its for college, I'd recommend an older 15" pro with a high res screen. Then the ipad 3 for being mobile.

From the first post: "I am a high school student". Implies (to me) that they want this for high school. I would say save your money with the iPad and get the 13" or a pro.

johnhurley
Nov 23, 2011, 04:00 PM

Yeah the 11 mba would be fine for that ... you definitely want one that has 4 gb of RAM memory and not just 2 gb if you want something that lasts 4 years. Try out both the 11 inch and 13 inch for a while many of us appreciate the higher resolution screen on the 13.

I would hold off on an iPad purchase for now as the next gen should be out soon.

Sean Dempsey
Nov 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Based on your needs, any laptop made in the last 10 years will suffice.

Why is it almost 2012, and people still ask if a computer can handle the like, 5 most basic computing activities?

- Word Processing?
- Email?
- Internet Browsing?
- Powerpoint?

The ONLY relevant questions anymore are, "Can this computer handle:

- HD video editing
- 3d rendering
- Mass ultra hires photo processing
- Games set to maximum settings"

And L O fricking L at a highschool student needing an Air and a 64gig iPad.

gpat
Nov 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
Get a netbook.

feflower
Nov 23, 2011, 04:13 PM
I would say that a 11" is more than enough for high school work and even humanities undergrad work. This is just as mobile as the iPad.

I know a number of grad students who have the 11" MBA. I would suggest buying the 11" MBA, and forgo the iPad. Later, if you find that 11" is too difficult to work with, buy a mid-priced 22"+ monitor to hook up to your MBA.

I had a MBPro 13" for grad school and didn't even come close to filling up 100 GB on my hard drive. I also did all my work on my laptop.

This is all assuming that this is dedicated to SCHOOL WORK.

If you insist on storing all your movies, music, and non-academic junk or work...then you might need more hard drive space.

An alternative: I would even consider an iPad + BT keyboard combo.

----------

Based on your needs, any laptop made in the last 10 years will suffice.

Why is it almost 2012, and people still ask if a computer can handle the like, 5 most basic computing activities?

- Word Processing?
- Email?
- Internet Browsing?
- Powerpoint?

And L O fricking L at a highschool student needing an Air and a 64gig iPad.

Good point. I didn't even have a computer for high school. For university I had an Apple Clone (yes there were those many years ago). I had a green screen (upgraded later to an amber screen), 8-pin dot matrix printer, and I can't even remember the specs on the computer. I had a top of the line floppy disc drive. And you know what? My marks were still pretty good.

2GB RAM is fine for school work --unless your school work has heaving video/audio editing--or if you insist on having 8 applications open all the time.

ECUpirate44
Nov 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
Save your parents money and just get a Mbp and Stop telling yourself you need an iPad to be "mobile". The 13" is plenty portable let alone an air.

feflower
Nov 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
MBP is MASSIVE overkill for high student.

I would even say overkill for most undergrad students--the "Pro" in Macbook Pro really does mean something.

MBP--portable, yes. But heavy if you are used to MBA.

ECUpirate44
Nov 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
MBP is MASSIVE overkill for high student.

I would even say overkill for most undergrad students--the "Pro" in Macbook Pro really does mean something.

MBP--portable, yes. But heavy if you are used to MBA.

Any computer the OP buys will be massive overkill.

Stein357
Nov 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
In my opinion, the 11" and 13" MBAs are so light that it makes the iPad nothing more than a toy. Do yourself a favor and just get a 13" MBA and call it a day.

feflower
Nov 23, 2011, 04:30 PM

You are right. I stand (slightly) corrected.

jkim3691
Nov 23, 2011, 04:33 PM

This. What does a high schooler need an iPad for? When I was in high school, as long as the computer I was using could type up documents and run the Internet I was fine. Needless to say I had a crappy Dell. Even as an undergrad I've been using my '08 Blackbook that still runs fine. Recently upgraded to a 13" Air cause my parents needed my old laptop.

feflower
Nov 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
OP: it sounds like you have a large budget (lucky you). What I suggest is this: Get the laptop that is appropriate for your needs. Spend the money you were going to use to buy an iPad or an overkill-laptop for one or more of the following:

--books (knowledge more important than empty hard drive space)
--college fund
--a meaningful gift for your generous parents
--Apple stock

Primejimbo
Nov 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
Good point. I didn't even have a computer for high school. For university I had an Apple Clone (yes there were those many years ago). I had a green screen (upgraded later to an amber screen), 8-pin dot matrix printer, and I can't even remember the specs on the computer. I had a top of the line floppy disc drive. And you know what? My marks were still pretty good.

2GB RAM is fine for school work --unless your school work has heaving video/audio editing--or if you insist on having 8 applications open all the time.

Times have changed since you been in high school and the green screen. My friends daughter is in kindergarten and he needed to get his kid a flash drive for everything.
My daughter is going to graduate 8th grade this spring and I want to get her the 11 inch are, but might get her the 13 inch one due to the screen size. I can't wait so her music gets off of my Macbook and I get my about 40GB of my HD back

feflower
Nov 23, 2011, 05:28 PM
Times have changed since you been in high school and the green screen. My friends daughter is in kindergarten and he needed to get his kid a flash drive for everything.
My daughter is going to graduate 8th grade this spring and I want to get her the 11 inch are, but might get her the 13 inch one due to the screen size. I can't wait so her music gets off of my Macbook and I get my about 40GB of my HD back

We are straying from the objective of this post, but...

40GB of music in the 8th grade! I bought my first 45 (the vinyl, not the gun) in grade 8. Even then I had to really think hard about which one I really wanted to spend my hard earned allowance ($2.99 I think was the cost of a 45 back then). Before then I was taping music off the radio, and sometimes off the TV by holding up my cassette player's built in mic to the speaker. But then a good quality blank tape cost about $7.

Do you mean a USB thumb drive for kindergarten?!
It is now expected that everyone has a computer (I think some universities require you to have a computer?). The next move will be handing in all assignments via email/online, if that has not already happened.

Your daughter gets an Air you are stuck with a Macbook?!!?

CyrusKafaiWu
Nov 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
I am in High School with a 4gb, 128gb 2011 macbook air. Oh and guess what? I barely use it for school purposes.

Pen and paper ftw!

jsolares
Nov 23, 2011, 06:02 PM
Get a netbook.

you mean a notebook? :cool::D when i was in highschool that's what i had hehe

Xikum
Nov 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
I bought a 2011 iMac this year, and used a small netbook for University. Then, that netbook broke and I got lucky to buy a 2010 Air pretty cheaply second hand. In total, I spent about 1700 on Apple products.

I do feel a little bad about it, its an unbelievable amount of money. I love the computers, but damn...I suggest you buy the 11" 2 GB RAM (seriously, 4 GB of RAM for the most basic of work? If your computer can do X now, it will do X 5 years time).

A 64 GB iPad to be mobile truly is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard though, especially since you are considering buying the most mobile laptop ever created WITH 256 GB SSD.

Primejimbo
Nov 23, 2011, 06:48 PM
We are straying from the objective of this post, but...

40GB of music in the 8th grade! I bought my first 45 (the vinyl, not the gun) in grade 8. Even then I had to really think hard about which one I really wanted to spend my hard earned allowance ($2.99 I think was the cost of a 45 back then). Before then I was taping music off the radio, and sometimes off the TV by holding up my cassette player's built in mic to the speaker. But then a good quality blank tape cost about $7.

Do you mean a USB thumb drive for kindergarten?!
It is now expected that everyone has a computer (I think some universities require you to have a computer?). The next move will be handing in all assignments via email/online, if that has not already happened.

Your daughter gets an Air you are stuck with a Macbook?!!?

Yes, 40 GB of music. I remember being her age I was playing with my toys and stuff. Now it's her iPod (and other kids too), music and other electronics. She doesn't play with toys at all. She loves to draw and does a lot of writing, and she does play outside a lot too when it's nice, but other than that it's music.

Yes, a USB Thumb Drive for kindergarten (and this was 2 years ago when this happened). If the home doesn't have a computer, the kid and parents can use the one at school or the library. For my daughters school I get to see her grades, assignments on line,and willing to bet in time she or other kids will have to log in for things. If she "forgets" to do her homework, all I have to do is log on and see she didn't hand it in. I am SO happy they didn't have this when I was in school :D

I love my Macbook, it still keeps kicking and I won't give it up. Besides, I like the big HD in mine and I am not ready to use external HD's for my stuff yet.

And we're not really the objective of this post. Times are changing and the need for high school kids needing a computer is becoming more and more common.... and more and more I am feeling older and older.

imswimmin
Nov 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
Go with the base 13" MBP! You might as well save money and get something that will surely last you 4 years!

Lara F
Nov 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
I'm loving my new Air, but I'll still maintain the plastic MacBook had its place - and this is a perfect example. You don't need a "Pro" computer in high school (and heck, I'm in my 30's and don't need one!)

The Samurai
Nov 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
The 11" will be a great machine for university, although the bigger the screen the better :D. If your going to be spending long hours at the library / doing group work - a bigger screen would help for sure.

I would recommend you opting for the 13" MBA - better battery life, SD card and bigger screen. These 3 things in itself will benefit you throughout your years in university.

I wouldn't recommend the MBP - the standard display is horrible, its a mirror. Sure, you can opt for a matte screen (at a premium and only on the 15" and 17") but then do you really want to carry that weight + pay crazy amounts. The lighter the machine, the better it is carrying it from lecture to lecture / seminar to lecture etc... At my university, I had to run between buildings in order to make it on time for the session... I use to lug around a Dell 6400 which didn't help one single bit. Now that I finish uni (and being a Mac user), I wish I had the MBA during my uni days :(, would of been a saviour!

Oh, one more thing... forget about the iPad. Spend that money elsewhere i.e. Applecare for MBP, accessories, upgrades to your Mac (be it whichever).

Happy days!

visim91
Nov 23, 2011, 11:00 PM

"Wellll nah back in ma day we didn't have no fancy-shmancy [insert tech.]

damn ye hootin tootin rabble-rousers and ya complicated shoes!"

thekev
Nov 23, 2011, 11:10 PM
The ONLY relevant questions anymore are, "Can this computer handle:

- HD video editing
- 3d rendering
- Mass ultra hires photo processing
- Games set to maximum settings"

The OP may take you seriously, so you should avoid this kind of exaggeration, especially regarding any computer made in the last decade. If the OP is getting a mac, they may want the ability to use current software which means PowerPC (which was made within the last decade) is a very poor option.

Gaming doesn't run well on a macbook air no matter what. I've seen it, and any game from the past couple years can bog it down at times on normal settings. 3d rendering isn't ideal on a macbook air or pro. The gpus slow down considerably at higher poly counts, although I think it's more of a driver thing (OSX graphics drivers were never designed for 3d work).

My suggestion would be start with a 13" macbook air or pro. If you're having to do homework on it, you will appreciate the extra screen real estate if you're working on something for an extended period of time. I might suggest getting one of these, then getting the ipad later if you feel you need it. I don't see how anyone could perceive themselves as anchored with a macbook air. The ipad seems like an advantage primarily in situations where you cannot place a computer on a stable surface. The weight difference isn't that bad, and neither will fit in your pocket. Going with at least a 256GB drive option is definitely a good idea.

wordoflife
Nov 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
Any computer since 2003 will be more than sufficient for your needs, so all I'm going to say is not to waste your money.

Specifically, drop the loaded Air and drop the loaded iPad.
A $400 PC will do, but if you want a Mac, you don't need a very expensive one. The 13" MBP is ideal.

Sean Dempsey
Nov 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
The OP may take you seriously, so you should avoid this kind of exaggeration, especially regarding any computer made in the last decade. If the OP is getting a mac, they may want the ability to use current software which means PowerPC (which was made within the last decade) is a very poor option.

Gaming doesn't run well on a macbook air no matter what. I've seen it, and any game from the past couple years can bog it down at times on normal settings. 3d rendering isn't ideal on a macbook air or pro. The gpus slow down considerably at higher poly counts, although I think it's more of a driver thing (OSX graphics drivers were never designed for 3d work).

My suggestion would be start with a 13" macbook air or pro. If you're having to do homework on it, you will appreciate the extra screen real estate if you're working on something for an extended period of time. I might suggest getting one of these, then getting the ipad later if you feel you need it. I don't see how anyone could perceive themselves as anchored with a macbook air. The ipad seems like an advantage primarily in situations where you cannot place a computer on a stable surface. The weight difference isn't that bad, and neither will fit in your pocket. Going with at least a 256GB drive option is definitely a good idea.

Way to completely miss the point of what I was saying.

Also - Get the MBP 13", the base model. The Air costs more money for literally nothing that you'll need. It's a little lighter and a little thinner... which really isn't the point for a high school student. You aren't "getting" anything for that extra money.

Also - please realize that a Macbook Air 11" Would need to be charged probably twice throughout the school day. Using it on the battery at my office, I get maybe 2.5 hours of constant use before the battery is dead. It would *never* make it a full day without a charge.

The MBA 11" is a joke when it comes to extended battery usage. You'll be sitting in class and having to charge your laptop after lunch every day.

Take it from me kid, it ain't the computer you want.