Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Can I change the icons in lion ?
Can lion be themed?
Can I change the dock look?
Can system fonts be changed?
How do I edit launch pad?

I'm not coming from windows I am a Ubuntu Linux user so I'm used to being able to customize pretty much everything. I am enjoying my Mac experience but I'd like to tweak it a lil bit if possible?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Look for Candybar, it's like $29 I think. You can use that to change the Dock and icons. You can also use Geektool to customize your desktop in all sorts of ways. See the thread "Your Geektool Scripts" in MacRumors.

As far as themes in OS X, that cannot be done to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Can I change the icons in lion ?
Can lion be themed?
Can I change the dock look?
Can system fonts be changed?
How do I edit launch pad?

I'm not coming from windows I am a Ubuntu Linux user so I'm used to being able to customize pretty much everything. I am enjoying my Mac experience but I'd like to tweak it a lil bit if possible?

Out of the box, OSX is not nearly as customizable as Ubuntu. And of course, nothing is for free anymore ;)

PS: Google answers most of the above questions, including one or the other trick to at least get a small amount of customization.

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Out of the box, OSX is not nearly as customizable as Ubuntu. And of course, nothing is for free anymore ;)

PS: Google answers most of the above questions, including one or the other trick to at least get a small amount of customization.

I did google and many things don't work for lion. I saw a thread on here where someone posted a screen shot with black menu bar and a white apple icon I googled and it's not an option for lion and the developer has no idea when it will be.

Yes I noticed in Ubuntu and even windows a lot of stuff was free but in os x those very same things cost I was shocked to find out if I want tabs in finder it'd cost me 15 bucks... For tabs?!

I'm fine with these things but it's an adjustment I'm probably gonna mess around its geek tool and wait for the theme developer to release a lion update

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh yes, look up Nocturne for Mac. That is more of a day/night mode app but can be used to just change the menu bar to black or hide it altogether.

Last edited:

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011

Oh yes, look up Nocturne for Mac. That is more of a day/night mode app but can be used to just change the menu bar to black or hide it altogether.

I'll check it out, thanks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Want to get some color back in your Finder sidebar in Lion?

Finder sidebar color

The site was tricky to get the download from. If you can't get it, PM me and I'll see if I still have it on my Mac to send you.

EDIT: I uploaded the files to my server. You also need SIMBL installed to run this.

SIMBL 0.9.9
Colorful Sidebar

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.