Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karleaglemac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Simply put, no matter how fancy aluminum bumpers look, it's not worth the degradation in signal. Furthermore, ALL aluminum bumpers will cause this to happen to some degree. That's just the nature of the medium. How can you justify paying money to put something on your phone that doesn't improve what it is fact DESIGNED to do?! It doesn't make sense to me anymore.

I'm just looking for a simple, clean looking, quality, bumper. Is that too hard to find?

Do you all have any suggestions? Please post links/pics.

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Simply put, no matter how fancy aluminum bumpers look, it's not worth the degradation in signal. Furthermore, ALL aluminum bumpers will cause this to happen to some degree. That's just the nature of the medium. How can you justify paying money to put something on your phone that doesn't improve what it is fact DESIGNED to do?! It doesn't make sense to me anymore.

I'm just looking for a simple, clean looking, quality, bumper. Is that too hard to find?

Go naked. You don't' need a bumper. The antenna is made from stainless steel for durability.

stcizzle

macrumors regular
May 20, 2011
NH, USA

You must have AT&T, lol, I'm sure ur sick of hearing it but Verizon has no issues even with an aluminum bumper. I have a few element cases and no issues even in my basement surrounded by wooded areas in a poor reception area. My parents have had AT&T and sprint and they consistently have 2 bars fewer than Verizon. AT&T sux bro, plain and simple.

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
You must have AT&T, lol, I'm sure ur sick of hearing it but Verizon has no issues even with an aluminum bumper. I have a few element cases and no issues even in my basement surrounded by wooded areas in a poor reception area. My parents have had AT&T and sprint and they consistently have 2 bars fewer than Verizon. AT&T sux bro, plain and simple.

No problem with AT&T here with an aluminum bumper.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I can't believe it. Here we go again. There are several Aluminum cases combined with various plastics in different ways that function very well with all carriers. Just read the threads for Element hybrid cases, E13ctron and Atomic hybrid cases and several others. This question has been argued countless times.

radicalDESIGNZ

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010

I have Verizon and I lose reception with an aluminium bumper, it's not carrier dependent. Even if you don't show a loss of bars I'm sure there's a loss of dB that doesn't show on the bars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.