PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of an Apple TV

SuperMiguel
Nov 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
So i have an apple tv just stting under my tv... i have an internet tv and and ps3. Trying to find something to do with my apple tv :(

spacepower7
Nov 24, 2011, 01:15 AM
If you don't know... You shouldn't have bought it

Do we really need to explain or can you read the forum and figure the uses and potential?

blueroom
Nov 24, 2011, 01:16 AM
Original Apple TV? Sell it and buy a ATV2.

SuperMiguel
Nov 24, 2011, 01:18 AM
If you don't know... You shouldn't have bought it

Do we really need to explain or can you read the forum and figure the uses and potential?

well when i bought it.. i didnt have a ps3 nor a internet tv so i used it to stream music from my itunes lib, or strem my ipad video or simply just watch netflix.. I can do all those (exept stream my ipad video) using my other devices

----------

Original Apple TV? Sell it and buy a ATV2.

i have the ATV2

miles01110
Nov 24, 2011, 01:20 AM
It sounds like you're asking us to find uses of your ATV for you. We can't do that. If you decide you don't need it, you can decide to sell it, store it, or do nothing.

SuperMiguel
Nov 24, 2011, 01:40 AM
It sounds like you're asking us to find uses of your ATV for you. We can't do that. If you decide you don't need it, you can decide to sell it, store it, or do nothing.

True =) bue if u dont know what other uses it has.. kinda hard to know what to use it for

Ethan513
Nov 24, 2011, 01:51 AM
Steve's dream was/is to have all of our media and technology 'all in one' seamless experience.

I think I read somewhere, though, that Apple admitted to Apple TV being somewhat of a drive in the wrong direction towards the television part of our lives. Obviously it isnt very popular.

Sell it now so that when its an obsolete part of the Apple line and experience, youll at least make a profit off of it and be ready for when Apple launches their television sets with Apple TV built in to it.

hafr
Nov 24, 2011, 01:56 AM
True =) bue if u dont know what other uses it has.. kinda hard to know what to use it for
What other uses? It streams media to your TV. That's it. If you have that covered by other devices, clearly the ATV2 is redundant in your case. Sell it or give it to a family member or a friend.

apunkrockmonk
Nov 24, 2011, 01:58 AM
I'd use it for streaming Netflix/Video/Music over the PS3. PS3s/Xbox 360s use 150w+ of power even when idling. ATV uses 6w or less if I remember correctly. Plus I prefer the interface. Also it's awesome for AirPlay.

The ATV2 is my favorite part of our entertainment system and has been since launch day.

jvmxtra
Nov 24, 2011, 06:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Air play?

Assuming ps3 works with xbmc I guess rest capability is same. E g Hulu streaming. Other than that low power consuming than ps3

VanZan
Nov 24, 2011, 08:08 AM
Well, I wouldn't really want to live without mine, however its a 1st gen. Since the ATV2 is a streaming device it contradicts with my personal needs because I'm using mine basically as one big ipod for my tv/hifi set (I used to have a crappy Synology NAS before which gave me a bad headache hw & sw-wise so I bought a used ATV1 and am one happy user ever since, an experience that even improved with all the firmware releases over time. The basic idea was not to have my pc up & running all the time when listening to music in the living room.). That is the point for me.

IMHO the real ATV (1 & 2) experience starts once you're using one or multiple apple devices running the 'Remote' app which is a must have with any ATV :) . Me or any guests can scroll songs and videos on my iPad, or I can skip songs and select playlists from another room (ie. office) using the iphone. Try that on your PS3.

Furthermore there are firmware extensions availabe allowing you to use the iPad as keyboard which will give you a whole new experience using your tv as an internet station, ie. when browsing youtube. It's brilliant. I never use my tv's internet features.

And then there are all those webradio stations that I love to listen to, you can also add your own. It happens that I'm streaming webradio all day long.

I'm really using mine almost every day and thank Steve it exists :) But if all those needs aren't yours then go sell it.

whooleytoo
Nov 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
IMO, an ATV on its own isn't great.

But an ATV with an iPad is a great combination. Using the iPad as my "music remote" with the ATV is a better experience than any other streaming solution I've used; using Upnp servers with PS3/360 just don't compare if you have a large music library.

Also if I'm browsing on my Mac or iPad (browsing on TV/consoles is, generally, a slow, awkward experience), it's great being able to 'push' content to the larger HDTV at a click.

In fact, for me, that's where the beauty of the ATV lies. It's not a standalone device like a console that I use directly, it's just a wireless adaptor that lets me simply pull/push content onto my home theatre system from my other devices. I just push/pull music and videos from my Mac & iPad to my TV & surround system, without thinking about the ATV.

ncarnall
Nov 24, 2011, 08:29 AM
Why not rent a film? lol

anac
Nov 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Do you know if you can tape a tv show using apple tv?
:confused:

Pressure
Nov 24, 2011, 11:46 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Do you know if you can tape a tv show using apple tv?

No, it's a streaming device.

warvanov
Nov 24, 2011, 01:13 PM

No. Check out the EyeTV: http://www.elgato.com/

Goftrey
Nov 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
Even though I love Macs and iPhones/iPods... I hate Apple TV's, I think they're over priced pieces of equipment that don't do much more (if anything more) than just hooking a Mac up to your TV... Get rid of it I suggest man...

szolr
Nov 24, 2011, 01:36 PM
So i have an apple tv just stting under my tv... i have an internet tv and and ps3. Trying to find something to do with my apple tv :(

http://youtu.be/zQxr4sUfE4g

Well, you obviously can't.

IMO, an ATV on its own isn't great.

Agreed. A 720p TV does help. ;)

hafr
Nov 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
Even though I love Macs and iPhones/iPods... I hate Apple TV's, I think they're over priced pieces of equipment that don't do much more (if anything more) than just hooking a Mac up to your TV... Get rid of it I suggest man...

It's a set top box with which you can access Apple's movie library for rentals, you can access your own iTunes library (including your photos) on your TV and/or stereo, you can airplay things like youtube clips and episodes from TV channel's Play-apps and music from any iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch that's on the same network, you can jailbreak it and have it accessing your network storage through XBMC, in which you can also have the icefilms addon, and so on and so on...

Since you think the Apple TV 2 is overpriced, I'd like to know what solution you use or would recommend.

jackrv
Nov 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
An apple tv paired with a computer running iTunes is golden. If you rent movies ahead of time from iTunes on a Mac or pc, it is downloaded to iTunes, not streamed. The quality is very good in that case. Plus an apple tv is the only device that can play drm protected content from iTunes.

chuffman15
Nov 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
i have an atv2 so i might not up on the up and up and the original apple tv but...
why would you buy "internet tv" if you had an apple tv?
i understand it was your first device and then you purchased the ps3. with those 2 why would need the internet tv?

Nov 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
I regret purchasing the ATV2, I was hoping it would replace my dvd player so I ripped a whole bunch of DVD's, however I cannot store them all in itunes due to lack of space on my laptop, so no movies on demand :(
I'm more in the market for a WDTV i feel, has wifi, streams from PC, can connect two drives to it and plays any file.

Airplay doesnt work like advertised either when plaing Real Racing HD.
Ipad2 - Airport express - ATV2. Set to maximum settings but still jerky even after an instore Genius assisted me with optimal settings, replaced it with another unit but still same issue of jerkiness.

For now its going on CL and throw it on my to consider list down the track.

whooleytoo
Nov 25, 2011, 08:15 AM
Agreed. A 720p TV does help. ;)

Boom boom! :p

Actually, I use my ATV quite a lot now without turning on the TV. Just pick up the iPad, select some music & listen. There's little point in turning on the TV to listen to music, particularly when there are no decent visualisers on the ATV.

(The only snag with doing this is that you don't see any on-screen errors, so sometimes you select a song on the iPad and can't figure out why the ATV isn't playing).

KeithJenner
Nov 25, 2011, 09:19 AM
Again, I'm amazed at the confusion the Apple TV seems to bring. Surely it's quite simple.

Do you want to connect your iTunes library to one or more TV's without having to use wires or move the computer around? Would you like to be able to do other things on your computer whilst watching your films on the TV? Would you like to rent iTunes movies to watch on the TV? Are you interested in Netflix, MLB etc?

If the answer to any of those is yes then the Apple TV will probably do the job for you, and is fairly cheap.

If you don't want to do those things, or have another device that already does what you want then you probably don't need one.

hafr
Nov 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
I regret purchasing the ATV2, I was hoping it would replace my dvd player so I ripped a whole bunch of DVD's, however I cannot store them all in itunes due to lack of space on my laptop, so no movies on demand :(
I'm more in the market for a WDTV i feel, has wifi, streams from PC, can connect two drives to it and plays any file.

Ipad2 - Airport express - ATV2. Set to maximum settings but still jerky even after an instore Genius assisted me with optimal settings, replaced it with another unit but still same issue of jerkiness.

So you regret purchasing the ATV2 because of lack of internal disk space on your computer, but the WDTV is better because you can use external disks? Say what?

whooleytoo
Nov 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
So you regret purchasing the ATV2 because of lack of internal disk space on your computer, but the WDTV is better because you can use external disks? Say what?

Well, it makes sense. Having an external hard drive plugged into the WDTV under the TV is fine, but having to plug an external hard drive into the laptop every time he wants to listen to music/watch videos on the TV would be more awkward.

hafr
Nov 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
Well, it makes sense. Having an external hard drive plugged into the WDTV under the TV is fine, but having to plug an external hard drive into the laptop every time he wants to listen to music/watch videos on the TV would be more awkward.

He doesn't have to connect the external drive to his computer. If he has a router that supports it, he can use a USB disk, if not he can get a cheap NAS solution wired to the router.

Irishman
Nov 25, 2011, 10:23 AM

Maybe someone can let us know know the ATV2 can stream content from either an external USB hard drive or from a NAS?

I don't use mine for that but I imagine it's possible if jailbroken.

hafr
Nov 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
Maybe someone can let us know know the ATV2 can stream content from either an external USB hard drive or from a NAS?

If you have to ask that question, you can't read or you're lazy as ****.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:20 PM

Clearly i cannot use 1tb of internal space to store my movies/tv shows (moving to a 2x1tb drives (2.5") soon so it doesn't take use up any additional power outlets).
Where would I store music/documents/osx/windows/ipad & iphone backups? on my mac?. Only choice is to have all my data on an external drive which means wdtv is the right choice for me, atv2 doesn't support external drives to be connected, it only streams from itunes. For now atv2 doesn't work the way i was expecting it to.

My alternatives is an old PC set up as HTPC, which I'd expect to run me a little bit more than $100 WDTV would. WDTV seems very simple to setup/use and play any format.
Nas also, but I'm trying to keep my setup as simple as possible, with minimal cables etc.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:33 PM
h

benh911f
Nov 26, 2011, 01:57 AM
Clearly i cannot use 1tb of internal space to store my movies/tv shows (moving to a 2x1tb drives (2.5") soon so it doesn't take use up any additional power outlets).
Where would I store music/documents/osx/windows/ipad & iphone backups? on my mac?. Only choice is to have all my data on an external drive which means wdtv is the right choice for me, atv2 doesn't support external drives to be connected, it only streams from itunes. For now atv2 doesn't work the way i was expecting it to.

My alternatives is an old PC set up as HTPC, which I'd expect to run me a little bit more than $100 WDTV would. WDTV seems very simple to setup/use and play any format.
Nas also, but I'm trying to keep my setup as simple as possible, with minimal cables etc.

Your other option is to store your iTunes library on the external hd and transcode your movies to M4V format using Handbrake and the ATV2 preset, store them in iTunes, and have all your movies available and playable on your ATV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.

derbladerunner
Nov 26, 2011, 03:34 AM

Since you have a PS3, you could get a software like

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

and sell the Apple TV - or use it on a second TV set in the bedroom etc.

(Of course, your Mac would then need to be running most of the time for streaming purposes)

hafr
Nov 26, 2011, 04:26 AM

So how did you expect the ATV2 to work?

Is an external drive that's connected to the WDTV accessible as a network drive?

slothrob
Nov 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have a WDTV and an aTV2. I stuck with the WDTV for a long time, but got tired of waiting for them to fix certain problems with the device, but they just abandoned support for the device when they came out with a new version. There was no way I was going to buy a second device from them, only to have them drop support for that before they had it working correctly.

The WDTV was generally fine for watching video, despite the color saturation being off, so that's what I used it for. When I got the aTV2, I got tired of constantly having to eject the hard drive, unplug it, move it to the computer, load a new movie on it, eject it, then move it back to the WDTV. I was having to do this every day and it was a pain compared to being able to simply keep everything in iTunes on the computer and stream it to the aTV2. On top of that, iTunes takes care of keeping it all organized. Now it sits next to the spare TV with cartoons on it for when kids are over, but we use the aTV.

Lancetx
Nov 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
The AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring functionality alone are worth the price of admission IMO.

jt6572
Nov 26, 2011, 11:42 PM

okay, basically i wouldnt have an atv without it being jb'ed. yes, it can be used very well to stream movies from your computer. out of the box the thing is useless, but with atv flash (and i particularly like the plex server) the storage is limited only by how many external drives you have.
i stuck to the first gen for a while because the 2nd gen doesnt have a usb port, but plex server sorts this and now all my drives are in my office.

there are easy ways to obtain movies (for me i hate paying $45 for a ufc ppv) and once they are on your drive away you go. definitely recommend atv flash.
google, research and attain atv joy!

toolbox
Nov 27, 2011, 03:10 AM
Personally i used to watch all my Movies / Tv shows via iTunes which meant i had to sit in front of computer in my office. Now i open up iTunes, go and sit in the lounge with a beer and the cat watch some tv.

I have now got Dad one too, he does the same rather then sitting in front of computer!

Uplift
Nov 27, 2011, 04:44 AM
Picked up an ATV2 yesterday, wouldn't have much of a use of it if it wasn't for Firecore so i'll be buying that too.

Must say i was disgusted to find there was no HDMI cable in the box, it would probably cost Apple like a penny each to mass produce these things...

I picked up a micro USB for 10 and will need to head out and get a HDMI which will be about 5. rip off.

toolbox
Nov 27, 2011, 06:44 AM
I picked up a micro USB for 10 and will need to head out and get a HDMI which will be about 5. rip off.

Are you saying that 5 is a rip off for a hdmi cable? I had to go and buy one recently cost me 50$+ for it. i wish i could get one for 5

slothrob
Nov 27, 2011, 07:07 AM
Are you saying that 5 is a rip off for a hdmi cable? I had to go and buy one recently cost me 50$+ for it. i wish i could get one for 5
That is a rip-off! The last couple HDMI cables I bought from Amazon were ~$5.

toolbox
Nov 27, 2011, 07:08 AM
That is a rip-off! The last couple HDMI cables I bought from Amazon were ~$5.

Yeah well, you can thank the australian dollar for that :mad:

vitzr
Nov 27, 2011, 07:40 AM
I sold my ATV2 due to its limitations.

While fully aware of it's Pro's & Cons before I bought it, I expected it would be more useful than it ended up being. So I sold it and upgraded to the latest Samsung 60" LED 8000 Series Smart TV (UN60D8000YF).

It's an amazing unit that has a smooth, fast and very slick web browser built in. It easily integrated with my home theater gear, which now comprises a very complete and enjoyable system.

Samsung continues to innovate at a very nice pace. I see now why they strike fear into the minds of those who go to great lengths to bash them.

I'm so happy with the gorgeous picture it produces.

hafr
Nov 27, 2011, 08:29 AM

While fully aware of it's Pro's & Cons before I bought it, I expected it would be more useful than it ended up being. So I sold it and upgraded to the latest Samsung 60" LED 8000 Series Smart TV (UN60D8000YF).

It's an amazing unit that has a smooth, fast and very slick web browser built in. It easily integrated with my home theater gear, which now comprises a very complete and enjoyable system.

Samsung continues to innovate at a very nice pace. I see now why they strike fear into the minds of those who go to great lengths to bash them.

I'm so happy with the gorgeous picture it produces.

TV's with streaming possibilities built in > set top boxes :)

Which limitations made you sell the ATV2, if you don't mind me asking?

ftaok
Nov 27, 2011, 08:50 AM
TV's with streaming possibilities built in > set top boxes :)
In theory, I'd agree. In actual practice, I disagree. Here's why.

Typically, TV manufacturers don't update or upgrade their "extras", so you're stuck with the same interface/features that you had when you buy the TV. Is it that big of a deal if the built-in software isn't updated after a few months ... nah, not really. But you kinda pay for something that gets old after a while.

With a set-top box, they're cheap enough that you just get a new one for the main TV and move the old one to another TV.

In the end, the cost is probably a wash. But I put more faith in Apple/Roku/Google to update their software and push it out to older devices over the Sonys/Sammys/Pannys of the world. Don't even get me started with LG ... I read some stuff about them and how quickly they drop support for their devices.

ft

slothrob
Nov 27, 2011, 09:46 AM

That's a fantastic TV, but it is ~$2300 more than an aTV2, if you already happen to own a TV.

Irishman
Nov 29, 2011, 08:34 AM
If you have to ask that question, you can't read or you're lazy as ****.

Excuse me?

imahawki
Nov 29, 2011, 08:52 AM
I love my Apple TV and I can never understand why people either hate it or don't "get it" so frequently. I wish Apple would do more with it but even as is, its fantastic. I had a couple ROKU boxes that I paid over $100 for JUST to stream Netflix. That's ALL it did when it first came out. Now they've added a ton since then and in fact, surpassed ATV, but in the mean-time, I've put most of my vast DVD collection on my hard drive and now have access to over 600 movies plus a way to stream my music collection to my main stereo, plus Netflix, etc. etc. I LOVE it.

hafr
Nov 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
Excuse me?

You're excused. Try google.

Cave Man
Nov 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
You're excused. Try google.

These forums are civilized and we want to keep them that way.

Forum Rules
Instantly Bannable Offenses

These offenses can result in temporary forum suspensions or permanent bans. If you get a warning, heed it!

Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people.

ftaok
Nov 29, 2011, 09:40 AM
I love my Apple TV and I can never understand why people either hate it or don't "get it" so frequently. I wish Apple would do more with it but even as is, its fantastic. I had a couple ROKU boxes that I paid over $100 for JUST to stream Netflix. That's ALL it did when it first came out. Now they've added a ton since then and in fact, surpassed ATV, but in the mean-time, I've put most of my vast DVD collection on my hard drive and now have access to over 600 movies plus a way to stream my music collection to my main stereo, plus Netflix, etc. etc. I LOVE it.
I think the main thing that keeps the aTV from taking off is the availability and cost of content. For me, rentals and purchases for Movies is too costly compared to other options. I'll gladly go to Redbox to rent a movie for $1. We go to the grocery store just about every day and even if we're not, it's not that big a deal to stop by on the way home.

The TV rentals were a good idea, but the networks had other thoughts. Personally, I only watch TV shows once, so buying episodes doesn't make sense for me.

I would prefer seeing a few things on the Apple TV that may separate them from the rest of the pack.

Sign up with Comcast an put the Xfinity app on the aTV. This would allow me to move (or add) an Apple TV to the kitchen TV so that we could view the OnDemand content there. To me, Airplay is a bit of a waste for this in that I tie up an iPad and the TV, not to mention hitting the home network 3 times instead of once.

Alternatively, if Apple could secure deals with the networks (or perhaps the production companies) that allow for monthly subscriptions to certain channels or a block of shows, that could start a new trend in media consumption. Of course, the networks and cable providers would likely poop on this idea.

ft

hafr
Nov 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
These forums are civilized and we want to keep them that way.

Forum Rules
Instantly Bannable Offenses

These offenses can result in temporary forum suspensions or permanent bans. If you get a warning, heed it!

Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people.

That's great, fantastic even. But the answer to his questions are in this thread, and even if he didn't have the time or the energy to read the thread before answering in it, it would take him a few seconds to find the answers on google.

To me, it's a sign of disrespect to ask those kinds of questions in these kinds of situations. I'm glad to help if I can, but why would anyone assume that people want to help them if they're clearly not even interested enough to do a simple google search or read the thread they're posting in?

whooleytoo
Nov 29, 2011, 11:16 AM
That's great, fantastic even. But the answer to his questions are in this thread, and even if he didn't have the time or the energy to read the thread before answering in it, it would take him a few seconds to find the answers on google.

To me, it's a sign of disrespect to ask those kinds of questions in these kinds of situations. I'm glad to help if I can, but why would anyone assume that people want to help them if they're clearly not even interested enough to do a simple google search or read the thread they're posting in?

Strange that you're willing to spend so much time criticising him, but not one second answering his question.

Sure, he should have looked for the answer first; but this is a big, busy forum where a lot of info gets lost, and needlessly duplicated. And for that reason, lots of people are willing to help out.

To answer the original question - you can't attach an external USB drive. To use the USB port you have to unplug the HDMI; so either you only use optical for audio, or have some weird, combined HDMI & micro-USB plug (unlikely). In any case, I don't believe USB storage is supported, even if the device is jailbroken - AFAIK.

On the NAS, no idea. I've only ever streamed from my Mac and iPad.

jmhays
Nov 29, 2011, 11:21 AM

You already ripped all your movies, instead of getting rid of the Apple TV 2, buy a small NAS (Network Attached Storage) device and copy all your movies onto your NAS. You can watch any of the movies on the Apple TV without needing to have your laptop running and you can use the NAS to backup the files on your laptop in case the laptop hard drive fails.

Just be careful because one you have all that empty space on your NAS deivce you will be very tempted to fill it up with more movies...

hafr
Nov 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
Strange that you're willing to spend so much time criticising him, but not one second answering his question.

Sure, he should have looked for the answer first; but this is a big, busy forum where a lot of info gets lost, and needlessly duplicated. And for that reason, lots of people are willing to help out.

To answer the original question - you can't attach an external USB drive. To use the USB port you have to unplug the HDMI; so either you only use optical for audio, or have some weird, combined HDMI & micro-USB plug (unlikely). In any case, I don't believe USB storage is supported, even if the device is jailbroken - AFAIK.

On the NAS, no idea. I've only ever streamed from my Mac and iPad.
I already have, that's kind of the whole point... You mean you haven't read the thread either?

ScottGL1966
Nov 29, 2011, 12:53 PM
Here is the basic answer: iTunes. If you are not an iTunes user or a fan, then you don't need a Apple TV.

Personally I love iTunes. I have over 30GB of music and about 500GB of movies, all accessible from my living room HDTV. The UI is gorgeous and easy to navigate (other than having a full keyboard).

I think the new smart TVs are amazing, but I don't want to pay $500+ and then worry about any issues of compatibility with the content I have purchased off of iTunes. I have looked at other set-top boxes, but until I can confirm full compatability with all my mp4 iTunes content I will stick with the AppleTV.

gooberq
Nov 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
Jailbreak , Install XMBC, then you will know :)

Irishman
Dec 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
I already have, that's kind of the whole point... You mean you haven't read the thread either?

Yes, you're right! It's not you, it's the rest of us who are jerks.

sachman
Dec 18, 2011, 04:58 AM

I have that TV but don't really use it for internet, I want to be able to stream things from my laptop and iPhone - I assume having a smart TV alone won't make possible, I'd still need ATV2?
Also I've heard streaming videos in HD to a HDTV results in loss of quality, is this true?
I also want to stream music to my hifi attached to the TV, can apple TV do this too or do I need something like airport express/extreme?

hafr
Dec 19, 2011, 09:04 AM
Yes, you're right! It's not you, it's the rest of us who are jerks.

I haven't called anyone a jerk, and if you feel I am that's totally fine.

What gets to me is the lack of respect. I can understand not everyone gets how to search in a forum, or that they rather ask a question instead of trying to google for the answer. But what I can't understand is why someone would klick a thread with no more than a handful comments, ignore everything that's been written and then ask a really simple question that has already been answered.

Irishman
Dec 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
I haven't called anyone a jerk, and if you feel I am that's totally fine.

What gets to me is the lack of respect. I can understand not everyone gets how to search in a forum, or that they rather ask a question instead of trying to google for the answer. But what I can't understand is why someone would klick a thread with no more than a handful comments, ignore everything that's been written and then ask a really simple question that has already been answered.

1. I don't have to defend myself to you.

2. The lack of respect gets to me, as well. Is it the question itself you deem disrespectful? Or is it the fact that you feel you have to call me out for having asked it? If it's the former, then that's on you what you choose to be offended by. If it's the latter, noone is forcing you to respond in a negative manner to posters. You're choosing to do that to both myself and whooleytoo. You accused me of two things, including questioning my literacy, my forum competence, and of failing to meet your personal standard for forum etiquette (having read every post in the thread before asking my own question). Take a step back and consider this: of the two of us, whose actions prompted a moderator response?

ajohansson
Dec 19, 2011, 01:26 PM
Really whats not to like!

I have a mac mini (my home computer) with iTunes home sharing on hooked to a 2 TB glyph drive with every DVD I own in m4v format. The mac mini is on the home network so I see all of my movies on the ATV2. I can control the ATV2 with my iPad, touch or iPhone (way better than the remote). I never have to load a dvd or worry about scratching it. My whole library is accessible to the rest of the family on their iPads/itouchs or other ATV2's in other parts of the house. I can put iTunes movies on other devices to be played in my cars video screen (hello 240 GB iPod classic and keeping kids happy).

Granted it took me awhile to rip my entire library but it was easy with handbrake. I love having everything on the glyph drive ready to sync to anything I want.

I have also JB my ATV2 and running VMware on the mac mini so I can use Playon with xbmc for other content like amazon etc.

For 99 buck what else could be better, oh and all my movies in 720 look just fine on a 55" samsung. I don't own a blue ray player because in all honesty the regular movies look just fine.

SurfMacJpMtb
Dec 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
For us the primary point of an Apple TV is to enjoy our computer’s iTunes media library and digital photo collection on our televisions.

We enjoy having random photos and music playing on our TV’s as we take care of our daily business. In addition, we use the ATV to enjoy home via iTunes.

hafr
Dec 20, 2011, 03:07 AM
1. I don't have to defend myself to you.
Yet you seem to feel the need to...

2. The lack of respect gets to me, as well. Is it the question itself you deem disrespectful?
Haha, are you for real? This whole thing started with you ignoring what was written and asked a question to which the answer was just a few posts further back, and now you're asking a question to which the answer is found in the very post you're quoting...

You accused me of two things, including questioning my literacy, my forum competence, and of failing to meet your personal standard for forum etiquette (having read every post in the thread before asking my own question).
Questioning your literacy just became so much easier, considering the previous quote... Let me ask you, do you think you're the first one to ever ask the question you asked? How come you didn't at least google it at first? And how come you didn't read the thread before you asked your question?

dnelms
Dec 20, 2011, 03:26 AM

The content that comes to my ATV from my computer is iTunes stuff. But video, both TV shows and movies that I have ripped come from 2 (2TB) external HD's. Streams fine once you point the movies/tv shows to the right places in iTunes. I do not store the media under the iTunes folder (except music)... I just use the iTunes to provide the path to find them.

Not jailbroken at all. I also have a Roku 2, so I only use the ATV for watching local video content or music.

Irishman
Dec 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
The content that comes to my ATV from my computer is iTunes stuff. But video, both TV shows and movies that I have ripped come from 2 (2TB) external HD's. Streams fine once you point the movies/tv shows to the right places in iTunes. I do not store the media under the iTunes folder (except music)... I just use the iTunes to provide the path to find them.

Not jailbroken at all. I also have a Roku 2, so I only use the ATV for watching local video content or music.

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful!

Have a great holiday.