Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
My new MBA doesn't seem to want to wake up from a long sleep !
If it sleeps during the day (1-2 hours between wake-ups), then it's OK. If it sleeps overnight (8 hours or so), then when I open the lid there is a faint glow from the screen but little else. I usually have to reboot via the power button.

How long should I wait after waking it from a long sleep before using the power button ? Are there two different sleep modes - fast wake up and slow wake up ?

Last edited:

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
After an hour or so the computer goes into hibernation, which is deep sleep, and that is why it has such a long stand by time.

However, it shouldn't take more than a second for the screen to turn on and maybe 2-4 seconds for the computer to be completely awake and usable.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Thanks.
So if I wait a minute or so and nothing has lit up, then is the MBA faulty or is there something else I should be checking ?
I unchecked the "Put the Drive to Sleep" box in the Power Options, that might also have been a cause.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
mine wakes from a couple of hours' sleep in about 5 to 8 seconds. It really isn't close to "Instant on" which was heavily advertised, but still not too long.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
UPDATE : Today's wake up time = 10 secs. So I guess I was just impatient before.

KONK7000

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
When I first got mine about a year ago, it woke up in about a couple of seconds or so. Now it wakes in about four five seconds or something like that...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.