Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pistonsfan1600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's topic: The Big Picture

To follow up last week's Low and Close competition, the topic this week is much larger in a literal sense: capture the whole scene, either through panoramas, wide angle shots, or just a picture from a unique perspective removed from the action.

As always, the topic is completely up for interpretation, and the suggestions above are merely ideas to get your wheels turning.

Good luck to everyone! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'll go first

3996770949_6355116211_b.jpg

Blakeco123

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Mt.Diablo, local mountain in east San Francisco bay area suburbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 179

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
It actually wasn't possible to get the entire plane in the picture because the wings go over the walls. So I got as much of the big picture as I could.

Douglas-DC-3-XL.jpg

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
The view from my room in Hallstatt, Austria. It was really quite surreal. Life is grand.

Attachments

• IMG_4427.jpg
    IMG_4427.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191

pistonsfan1600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
A Few More Hours

I'm headed to class for the day, so I'll keep the contest open until around 5pm EST. I'll close it as close to that as I can, and try to have the judging completed this evening.

Thanks everyone!

pistonsfan1600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
The Winners Is...

There were some awesome shots this week. Thank you to all who participated!

I'll go first

3996770949_6355116211_b.jpg

I really like the way that this picture moves across the frame. This is a great idea and cool interpretation of the topic.

i'll go second with an old shot of mine.. nothing too recent that would fit this contest :(
attachment.php

This is a great panorama of a beautiful area. I wish the highlights weren't as blown out on the left side, but its a gorgeous image.

here is my entry

DSC_3099 by dspector32, on Flickr

Another gorgeous fall shot. I like the way the clouds rise over the trees in the background.

This is a really striking black and white shot. The boats and shoreline are great. I wish the sky wasn't so bland, but you worked well with the clouds you were given that day.

Mt.Diablo, local mountain in east San Francisco bay area suburbs.
attachment.php

This shot shows up very warm on my monitor, with a nearly yellow sky. The mountain looks almost miniaturized, which is a cool effect.

I love the vibrant blues on this image contrasted to the sharp white of the clouds and the true sand color.

Torrey Pines - Del Mar Beach, Ca.
6407916729_035178a806_b.jpg

This shot is breathtaking. I love how there's no distortion even though its such a wide perspective. The mirror effect also contributes to how great this is.

The blue color in this image really stands out, and the mountain in the background looks majestic. The foreground isn't incredibly exciting, though. Did you take any that were cropped/zoomed closer to the mountain?

It actually wasn't possible to get the entire plane in the picture because the wings go over the walls. So I got as much of the big picture as I could.

Douglas-DC-3-XL.jpg

Really cool shot with limited space to work with. The blue and red accents really jump off the screen. All of the shiny chrome does make it busy, but I like how much of the plane you were able to capture.

The view from my room in Hallstatt, Austria. It was really quite surreal. Life is grand.
attachment.php

I wish I could travel or live somewhere with this view. The background hills and every thing beyond it could be sharper, but I like the framing of the door. Nice work.

Once again, everyone had some great images to submit this week. Thank you again for sharing your work.

Third Place: flosseR

Second Place: Chappers

First Place: coryndiego

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
Great work on judging pistonsfan1600 and thank you for the comments! Congrats to coryndiego- Can't wait for your topic this week!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Big congrats to coryndiego - good win and a nice shot.

There was some great work again this week and I loved flooseR's shot and Keleko's HDR plane. I'm not usually a fan of HDR - but this works on many levels. Also liked the clouds in MacRy's.

Last edited:

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Thanks pistonsfan1600 for a great topic/judging and selecting my Sunsetflection at Del Mar Beach photograph. The tide was lower than usual and lent to a great shot, even with a Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens.

There were some great photos submitted, great job guys!

I'll be posting the next topic in a few minutes.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Great judging and congrats to the, very worthy, winner. That is a great photo and was definitely my winner too, with Chappers a close second.

----------

There were some awesome shots this week. Thank you to all who participated!

The blue color in this image really stands out, and the mountain in the background looks majestic. The foreground isn't incredibly exciting, though. Did you take any that were cropped/zoomed closer to the mountain?

The only other I took that looked any good was this one.

6441952507_7b1feba228_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.