PDA

View Full Version : Apple Posts New iPod Touch TV Ad: Share The Fun

MacRumors
Nov 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/24/apple-posts-new-ipod-touch-tv-ad-share-the-fun/)

gGrDMVk2isc
A day before the start of the holiday shopping season, Apple has posted a new iPod Touch TV ad to its YouTube page titled "Share The Fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGrDMVk2isc)".
With iMessage, Game Center, FaceTime and more, you can share the fun on iPod Touch.By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans.

Article Link: Apple Posts New iPod Touch TV Ad: Share The Fun (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/24/apple-posts-new-ipod-touch-tv-ad-share-the-fun/)

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
The song used is 'Tongue Tied' by Grouplove is anyone was wondering.

bmms8
Nov 24, 2011, 02:20 PM
what football game was that?

Slix
Nov 24, 2011, 02:23 PM
I liked the ad. Reminded me of the past iPod touch ads that were fun and made you want to get one right away. :)

buckers
Nov 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans.

Interesting idea. As long as there's WiFi, you're set.

MasterHowl
Nov 24, 2011, 02:34 PM
Brilliant ad :)

acslater017
Nov 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
These remind me of those more raucous, fun iPod ads of ages past. :D

Having said that, it also looks like an Urban Outfitters ad. :rolleyes:

roocka
Nov 24, 2011, 03:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree that it looks like an Urban Outfitter ad. I don't think Steve would like this. Then again, maybe he approved it.

Sardonick007
Nov 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
Guess I'm too old and not enough of a hippy to own one. Gotta sell my Touch now. Oh well, it was a good run.

wikus
Nov 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree that it looks like an Urban Outfitter ad. I don't think Steve would like this. Then again, maybe he approved it.

I'm pretty sure the ad took at least a month to create from Apple's request to whichever agency to actually being aired on television.

Its probable it was in the works when steve was still alive.

----------

Also, to add my 2 cents, at the 3-5 second mark you can see a difference in the white balance between the dude walking and the girl sitting. It seems like they skipped polishing up that transition.

bmms8
Nov 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Also, to add my 2 cents, at the 3-5 second mark you can see a difference in the white balance between the dude walking and the girl sitting. It seems like they skipped polishing up that transition.

i think they did that on purpose to portray a wall, instead of him just disappearing?

isoMorpheus
Nov 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Borderline lame.

Gubbz
Nov 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
what football game was that?

Looks like a PikPok game, so I'm guessing Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff

*LTD*
Nov 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
Apple doesn't even need ads for these things to sell.

Hastings101
Nov 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Borderline lame.

Anything is better than the cheesy iPad ads, those make me want to puke.

Thetonyk123
Nov 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
Oh cool I posted this in the iPod touch forum even before you posted it. How do you submit things to macrumors?

slope
Nov 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
"By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans"

LOL... for the last few generations of the iPod, the marketing has been aimed at teenagers. If you look at the Facetime images on the Store. iPod images are teens, iPhone have been 20 to 30 somethings.

The subliminal message has been....... iPod touch is for youth.

tablo13
Nov 24, 2011, 05:41 PM
Would've been much cooler if the person typed "omw" instead of "on my way" in 0:23 to show the new iOS 5 keyboard shortcut feature.

"By showing teenagers using the iPod Touch to play and communicate with their friends, Apple seems to be advertising the iPod Touch to parents as an alternative to smartphones with expensive data plans"

LOL... for the last few generations of the iPod, the marketing has been aimed at teenagers. If you look at the Facetime images on the Store. iPod images are teens, iPhone have been 20 to 30 somethings.

The subliminal message has been....... iPod touch is for youth.
It is the truth, not just a subliminal message.

tarasis
Nov 24, 2011, 05:45 PM

Interesting that the iPod appeared to have a yellow tinted screen. (the greys certainly looked that way)

Thetonyk123
Nov 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
I saw this when watching tv this afternoon to

tarasis
Nov 24, 2011, 05:53 PM

I saw this when watching tv this afternoon to

The ad or tint?

SilentLoner
Nov 24, 2011, 05:54 PM

Weirdly I might send a link of this to my dads email so he can message me for free in the uk (he doesn't get contracts)

backinblack875
Nov 24, 2011, 06:29 PM

ya and i suppose you love the droid commercial with giant alien ships, talking about wives loving tegra 2 chips :rolleyes:

isoMorpheus
Nov 24, 2011, 07:55 PM

I'm more bugged by the notion of a targeted audience, in this respect, are they saying the touch is not as universally appealing as the iPad? I think not, I mean I hope not.

bettaboy123
Nov 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm actually a teen, and I thought that was a really awesome ad. :) It was new, fresh, and trendy in my opinion. They showed off the new white iPod touch a ton, which is super popular in iPhones and iPod touches at my school and stuff.

Plus they showed off FaceTime and iMessage a lot, which everyone with iPods (4th gen) and iPhones (4 or 4S) use all time. I kinda want one of the white ones actually... ;)

These things will fly off the shelves this Christmas, no problem. :)

P.S. This commercial surprised me when I was watching the Lions game today since it's so much different than most Apple commercials...

BJB Productions
Nov 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
Totally random question, but do you think they shoot on green screen then key in the white for more control? Or are they actually shooting this on white seamless? (I know there's multiple video layers going on--but for just shooting everything...was wondering what they do)

NY Guitarist
Nov 24, 2011, 09:55 PM
Totally random question, but do you think they shoot on green screen then key in the white for more control? Or are they actually shooting this on white seamless? (I know there's multiple video layers going on--but for just shooting everything...was wondering what they do)

I have no idea how they shot these but using a white cyc is common and gives great results in post without the additional concerns when shooting for a chroma key.

alchemistmuffin
Nov 24, 2011, 10:05 PM

By the way, this song is available for free, as part of SPIN November Playlist, for those who are wondering:

http://www.spin.com/itunes-november

PS: It ends on November 30. So download now.

isoMorpheus
Nov 24, 2011, 10:29 PM
By the way, this song is available for free, as part of SPIN November Playlist, for those who are wondering:

http://www.spin.com/itunes-november

PS: It ends on November 30. So download now.

Does Spin give away free music monthly?

writingdevil
Nov 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'm actually a teen, and I thought that was a really awesome ad. :) It was new, fresh, and trendy in my opinion. They showed off the new white iPod touch a ton, which is super popular in iPhones and iPod touches at my school and stuff.

Plus they showed off FaceTime and iMessage a lot, which everyone with iPods (4th gen) and iPhones (4 or 4S) use all time. I kinda want one of the white ones actually... ;)

These things will fly off the shelves this Christmas, no problem. :)

P.S. This commercial surprised me when I was watching the Lions game today since it's so much different than most Apple commercials...

I think it works for the demographic they are going for. Looks like a winner for Christmas, too. I imagine people that don't like it may not be who they're going for in this particular one, but hopefully the rents buy it for the kids from this. More than a few buds are hoping (hint, hint). Amazing how many people know how to market Apple stuff better than Apple...lol.

johnhw
Nov 25, 2011, 03:48 AM
I could play this ad over and over again.

erijkgabriel
Nov 25, 2011, 07:36 AM

in addition to that, you see the 'Bibio - Mind Bokeh' album cover at 00:23

Zunjine
Nov 25, 2011, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure the ad took at least a month to create from Apple's request to whichever agency to actually being aired on television.

Its probable it was in the works when steve was still alive.[COLOR="#808080"]

Actually, Apple owns its own agency. I didn't know this until very recently when it was featured in an edition of the London Evening Standard.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/markets/article-23996389-apples-own-ad-agency-and-other-secrets-of-a-stellar-brand.do

Thetonyk123
Nov 25, 2011, 09:33 AM

The ad or tint?

ad

ombrenelcielo
Nov 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
nice, except that kids portrayed in the ad are absolutely detached from the reality

ezkimo
Nov 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
Actually, Apple owns its own agency. I didn't know this until very recently when it was featured in an edition of the London Evening Standard.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/markets/article-23996389-apples-own-ad-agency-and-other-secrets-of-a-stellar-brand.do

Pretty sure that TBWA owns Media Arts Lab.

rwilliams
Nov 25, 2011, 12:21 PM

I suppose if you're a teenage hipster, this ad was right up your alley. For the rest of the population, not so much.

APlotdevice
Nov 25, 2011, 10:39 PM
Apple has done some pretty amazing things in regards to their products. Some people may say they are just great marketers but either way, products like the iPhone and the iPad has not changed how people connect with each other but it has done wonders for businesses. Any have any more news on the iTV? I can imagine some of the features this will have. I found this article talking more about the iTV and how it may change the industry. http://www.hula-hub.com/2011/11/23/what-to-expect-in-the-new-apple-itv-apple/

I'd just like to point out that if Apple does actually make a TV, it almost certainly won't be called "iTV". That's what the AppleTV was originally going to be called. Until the UK television broadcaster "ITV" threatened legal action.

RubenTheys
Nov 26, 2011, 04:28 AM
Hipsters! They're everywhere!

Jmclark
Nov 26, 2011, 07:07 PM
I love this ad.

adder7712
Nov 27, 2011, 01:47 AM
The subliminal message has been....... iPod touch is for youth. That's true.

Mum and dad won't allow a smartphone? Simple, get an iPod touch. It does everything an iPhone can do, except calling. ;)

iEvolution
Nov 27, 2011, 04:59 PM
Makes me laugh a device that is essentially a iPhone without the phone (though less like it this year with the lack of upgrades for the Touch) yet some how people think the iPod Touch is a "kid's" toy and the iPhone is a "man's" toy..

They essentially have the same functions and operating system so I fail to see how one is more geared towards adults and the other is geared towards teens. I think both of them can be used by any demographic.

pcmxa
Nov 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
That's true.

Mum and dad won't allow a smartphone? Simple, get an iPod touch. It does everything an iPhone can do, except calling. ;)

Jailbreak it and get an apple peel and you've got a slightly underpowered pay as you go iPhone.

hexcalibur
Nov 27, 2011, 11:21 PM
nice, except that kids portrayed in the ad are absolutely detached from the reality

I take it you're new to marketing?

Wordsmithmac
Nov 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
Kids now a days look stupid and I hate skinny jeans, they are meant for women. Males should not wear them but this commercial makes it seem ok so now hipsters will grow larger in influence. Bastards already make it hard for a man to buy decent clothing all the clothes makers make skinny clothes because of them.
Damn you apple and damn you hipsters!

zipster
Nov 28, 2011, 12:31 AM
Kids now a days look stupid and I hate skinny jeans, they are meant for women. Males should not wear them but this commercial makes it seem ok so now hipsters will grow larger in influence. Bastards already make it hard for a man to buy decent clothing all the clothes makers make skinny clothes because of them.
Damn you apple and damn you hipsters!

You sound pressed and overweight, tbh.

http://i.imgur.com/IWU9il.jpg

Wordsmithmac
Nov 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
You sound pressed and overweight, tbh.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/IWU9il.jpg)

Not at all I like my clothing to fit .... The companies I used to buy clothing from switched to cutting their clothing smaller and making jeans skinny as well as regular clothing for casual that arent jeans. I like to be able to move randomly without worry about ripping clothes or injuring myself.

I guess ur a skinny jean wearing hipster huh?

EmbraceTheOne
Nov 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm not really a big fan of this Commercial.

Seems too…….Not Apple.

derickdub
Nov 28, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hipsters! They're everywhere!

Apple is too "mainstream" for hipsters now. They've all switched to droid and sold the MBP their parents bought them. Well at least the ones where I live.