PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Short Name?

Tuned MP5T
May 22, 2005, 10:09 PM
Did a search and didn't find anything, I'm just curious as to what names people have used.

Mines is Anakin for Anakin Skywalker.

Platform
May 22, 2005, 10:50 PM
What has this got to do with Mac computers :confused: :confused:

AliensAreFuzzy
May 22, 2005, 10:57 PM
What has this got to do with Mac computers :confused: :confused:
Your short user name
Mines just Dan.

Platform
May 22, 2005, 11:06 PM
Your short user name
Mines just Dan.

Oh Ok well it was a bit hard to understand that from his/her post ;)

mkrishnan
May 22, 2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I suppose 'tis a security risk.

yg17
May 22, 2005, 11:25 PM
My first name is Todd, so...
Long name is "Todd"
Short name is "todd"

I'm creative, aren't I?

iMeowbot
May 23, 2005, 12:41 AM
My long Mac username is iMeowbot, short is imeowbot. I bet you'd never have guessed that in a bazillion years.

killuminati
May 23, 2005, 12:54 AM

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 23, 2005, 05:55 AM
Mine is lasseh, to match my user name at my University account and thus simplifying ssh to that account.

wrldwzrd89
May 23, 2005, 05:57 AM
Mine's the same as my username here (and just about everywhere else): wrldwzrd89. My long username is the long form of my username here: World Wizard 89.

5300cs
May 23, 2005, 07:30 AM
Sorry, could you all post your passwords .. and uhh, IP address too

yippy
May 23, 2005, 08:03 AM
My short name is kaia. That is my first name with the first letter of my last name tacked on the end.

Opps, forgot to post my password and IP.

My IP: 192. :rolleyes:
and my password looks like this: ******** ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 23, 2005, 08:17 AM
Good password advice:

yellow
May 23, 2005, 09:29 AM
Seriously, why would you give people your short username?

mad jew
May 23, 2005, 09:33 AM
When you try to shorten mad jew you usually end up with something like maj or mew... I use neither of these.

PlaceofDis
May 23, 2005, 09:40 AM
mine is pretty dull, and i try to change it up whenever i re-install OS X

_pb_boi
May 23, 2005, 10:43 AM
Probably shudda been posted in community though, but hey :cool:

andy.

Tuned MP5T
May 23, 2005, 01:38 PM
Seriously, why would you give people your short username?Don't reply then if you don't want to then.

yellow
May 23, 2005, 01:48 PM
Don't reply then if you don't want to then.

Actually no, as other have stated, I will reply and point out that your shortname is NOT something you should be giving out to anyone. It is simply one barrier in your line of protection from cracking/hacking.

Freely giving this away in a Google-able forum is plain stupid.

Balin64
May 23, 2005, 02:19 PM
Actually no, as other have stated, I will reply and point out that your shortname is NOT something you should be giving out to anyone. It is simply one barrier in your line of protection from cracking/hacking.

Freely giving this away in a Google-able forum is plain stupid.

I am not as harsh in my criticism, but I second yours. It is not a good idea to place your account name on the internet.

While the chances that someone will pluck it and try to hack your system is unlikely, why even introduce the miniscule chance that someone may try?

Having said that, mine are normally variations of greek mythology characters.

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 23, 2005, 02:23 PM

Freely giving this away in a Google-able forum is plain stupid.I'm not particularly worried. Even if someone know my username, from googeling it here, they still have to gain access to my iBook, physically or by getting my IP. In the latter case they also has to get by my (default set) router, find my IP address internally in my LAN and guess my password.

Given that my shortname is my first name and the initial of my last name it shouldn't be too hard to guess if you find my name (which should take you less than a minute).

Tuned MP5T
May 23, 2005, 03:18 PM
Sorry didn't know it was that easy for someone to find out personal info.

PLEASE CLOSED THIS THREAD !!

yellow
May 23, 2005, 03:58 PM
I'm not particularly worried. Even if someone know my username, from googeling it here, they still have to gain access to my iBook, physically or by getting my IP.

See, not necessarily..

Some of us may (or may not) have seen that all too common brute force ssh attacks where random usernames are used and multiple guessed passwords attempted. What everyone is doing here is potentially giving the people that write these scripts KNOWN GOOD USERNAMES. I'm sure I don't need to elaborate too much on how this is a Bad Thing™. Yes, it is somewhat paranoid, but I attempt to protect my boxes that are attached to the world, does Joe Public, whose posted username is "joeyp"?

risc
May 23, 2005, 04:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(computer_security)

iMeowbot
May 23, 2005, 04:12 PM
Seriously, why would you give people your short username?
Whatever you do, don't let anyone find out root's username!

yellow
May 23, 2005, 04:17 PM
Whatever you do, don't let anyone find out root's username!

Ha ha!

Please don't get me started on that topic.

MacTruck
May 23, 2005, 08:53 PM
Ha ha ha. I can't believe people are so willing to give out their computers username. This is amazing. Ips are easy to get from this forum, now the usernames have been captured. Finding a password from looking at your past posts is not that hard to figure out. Might as well just post your ip, and password as well.

Oh yeah one more thing, why the heck is this in the macintosh hardware thread?

jeremy.king
May 23, 2005, 09:08 PM
shortname=root
IP=127.0.0.1

If you guess my password correctly using terminal, just execute the following command to let me know you were there.

rm -rf /*

MacTruck
May 23, 2005, 09:45 PM
shortname=root
IP=127.0.0.1

If you guess my password correctly using terminal, just execute the following command to let me know you were there.

rm -rf /*

Is this your password: ******** ?

YEAH! I'm in!

iMeowbot
May 23, 2005, 09:50 PM
Is this your password: ******** ?

Holy moley, that's my password too!

YEAH! I'm in!

W00t!

bousozoku
May 23, 2005, 10:49 PM
It's my long name - "u". :p

Duff-Man
May 23, 2005, 11:12 PM
Duff-Man says....my shortname has nothing to do with my account here, nor any other username I use online...and I am not about to give it out to anyone....oh yeah!

840quadra
May 24, 2005, 01:12 AM
mine is Finnish for;

supercalafragileisticexpialidocius. :D
j/k

I am with 5300cs, giving out your username on a world forum is kinda odd :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 24, 2005, 06:07 AM
See, not necessarily..

Some of us may (or may not) have seen that all too common brute force ssh attacks where random usernames are used and multiple guessed passwords attempted. What everyone is doing here is potentially giving the people that write these scripts KNOWN GOOD USERNAMES. I'm sure I don't need to elaborate too much on how this is a Bad Thing™. Yes, it is somewhat paranoid, but I attempt to protect my boxes that are attached to the world, does Joe Public, whose posted username is "joeyp"?Well, this is why I don't use a dictionary word in any language for my password, but a long enough alpha-numerical password, which is put to the test by a system password checker at my University's network every day. It hasn't been caught as a hazard, yet... ;)

Ha ha ha. I can't believe people are so willing to give out their computers username. This is amazing. Ips are easy to get from this forum, now the usernames have been captured. Finding a password from looking at your past posts is not that hard to figure out. Might as well just post your ip, and password as well.Ok, task/callenge for you: Find my iBook's IP on my internal LAN and my password from past posts...