PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the extra 100$

Bohdiez
Nov 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
I was wondering if it is worth the extra 100$ to upgrade from the 1.7 Core i5 to the 1.8 core i7?
And will it be even noticed through out my daily surfing, emails or watching some YouTube videos...

Just thinking may be with the extra cash for a little extra power.

Spencer Reynen
Nov 24, 2011, 08:13 PM
I was wondering if it is worth the extra 100$ to upgrade from the 1.7 Core i5 to the 1.8 core i7?
And will it be even noticed through out my daily surfing, emails or watching some YouTube videos...

They're not going to charge you $100 for no reason. Of course it's worth it, especially on a MBA, where you'll need it. If it's only 100 I would get it, that's a major upgrade.

glen e
Nov 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
They're not going to charge you $100 for no reason. Of course it's worth it, especially on a MBA, where you'll need it. If it's only 100 I would get it, that's a major upgrade.

that does not answer the question..anyone got an example of why he should spend it?

Abazigal
Nov 24, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hopefully, this article can help shed some light. :)

http://maccrazy.com/macbook-air-2011-i5-vs-i7-is-the-upgrade-worth-it

alust2013
Nov 24, 2011, 08:27 PM

Apple definitely would charge you $100 for nothing. In fact, they overcharge about $150 for an 8GB RAM upgrade. It really isn't that big of a difference in power, and it certainly isn't noticeable for light use such as email, browsing and videos.

Seasought
Nov 24, 2011, 08:33 PM

MacBook Air 2011 i5 vs i7 Is the upgrade worth it? (http://maccrazy.com/macbook-air-2011-i5-vs-i7-is-the-upgrade-worth-it)

Neolithium
Nov 24, 2011, 08:34 PM

For what you described, the upgrade isn't worth the money IMO.

TheRealDamager
Nov 24, 2011, 08:54 PM
If you do extensive video editing or something similar that uses lots of processor cycles, then yes, it's worth it. If not, then you are paying more than you need to AND losing some battery life in the deal.

The money was not an issue for me, but I chose the i5 for the slightly better battery life, as I wasn't going to be doing much to use the i7.

altecXP
Nov 24, 2011, 08:56 PM
I do exactly what OP does plus Xcode on my Air with i5 and I'm perfectly happy.

The i7 is roughly a 9-10% performance difference. I think you will be happy with i5.