PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get MBA. Is it due for refresh anytime soon?




elle49
Nov 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
One question (or 4 or 5): I'm wondering what the rumor mill looks like for the MBA, is there a new one coming out soon? Should I hold out a little longer? I'm not interested in a 15" (which I know was a rumor circulating). I'm wanting the light portability, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting the 11" (wish it had the SD card slot though...) The only reason I'd wait is if there was a major performance upgrade. I know Ivy Bridge is supposed to be coming to the air next year, but are we talking end of next year?? Is it worth is to wait? Or is it new enough that it won't be updated for a while... (I just hate buying a new apple product, only to have a shiny newer version released a few months later...)



Risasi
Nov 24, 2011, 10:38 PM
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

elle49
Nov 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
oh wow what a great resource! I had no idea. This tells me all the things I already know... I was actually more interested in an opinion, or if anyone had any updated news...

Trav29
Nov 24, 2011, 11:06 PM
oh wow what a great resource! I had no idea. This tells me all the things I already know... I was actually more interested in an opinion, or if anyone had any updated news...
In that case my opinion is the refresh happens tomorrow...just kidding.
But if you knew the answer to your question why post it? Everyone is going to have their own different opinion so it wouldn't really be helpful.

jsolares
Nov 25, 2011, 02:04 AM
oh wow what a great resource! I had no idea. This tells me all the things I already know... I was actually more interested in an opinion, or if anyone had any updated news...

fact #1: ivy bridge is not out

how will a refresh come out if the new cpu is not out yet?

old-wiz
Nov 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
No update for a while and a current MBA is still going to be a good computer in a few years.

paulrbeers
Nov 25, 2011, 11:43 AM
As stated, the next true refresh will occur when Ivy Bridge comes out. And even after Ivy Bridge initially comes out (sometime probably Q1 of next year), it will take several months before a processor suitable enough for the MBA is released (it took 4-5 months after initial Sandy Bridge was released before we saw CPU's for MBA be released).

There always could be a spec bump at some point (like the MBP's just went thru), but I doubt it. And even then it was only about 10% faster processors used. Nothing to get excited about or delay your purchase because of.

I was going to wait for Ivy Bridge, but my wife wanted to go Mac (finally converted) and the deal at Best Buy before Thanksgiving was too good to pass up.

TheJing
Nov 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
Probably nothing new before next summer. The latest model will last you a while.

Internaut
Nov 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'd hazard a guess that nothing revolutionary is due soon. That said, I bought my White MacBook days before they announced the unibody MacBook (Doh!!!) but I've been perfectly happy with it. Had I come to a place like this, I'd have seen the inevitable rumours and conjecture about the new model (and at the moment, we see none for the MacBook Air)!

boy-better-know
Nov 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
mid 2011 air is fantastic, it may take a while for an ivy bridge chip to be ready for the air, and if it is design you are bothered about, Looking at previous cycles, it won't change with the next refresh. If it follows the same cycle as the last MBA, there shouldn't be a new design refresh until 2013.

elle49
Nov 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks guys. Just what I wanted/needed to hear. Im just always so paranoid when buying a new apple product. But I guess a MBA purchase is safe for now. I can't wait!!!

regan20
Nov 25, 2011, 12:57 PM
The Ivy Bridge processors are already being manufactured.

Hopefully the next revision with IB is gonna produce less heat and less fan noise than the current.

boy-better-know
Nov 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks guys. Just what I wanted/needed to hear. Im just always so paranoid when buying a new apple product. But I guess a MBA purchase is safe for now. I can't wait!!!

Do it, enjoy it, and ******* everything else. 

johnhurley
Nov 25, 2011, 01:47 PM
One question (or 4 or 5): I'm wondering what the rumor mill looks like for the MBA, is there a new one coming out soon? Should I hold out a little longer?

Everyone ( or most everyone ) expects changes in March 2012 but no one has a clear idea of what that means.

One shot in the wild is that if indeed apple does put out an ipad3 with a much higher resolution that upgrades to resolution on other non pads may also roll out next year.

If you need a machine now the mba is a great choice now.

vivithemage
Nov 25, 2011, 11:46 PM
I am in your shoes OP...hard to wait...wish 11" had higher res, but i'll snag a 13.3" and be happy :).

jterp7
Nov 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
I am in your shoes OP...hard to wait...wish 11" had higher res, but i'll snag a 13.3" and be happy :).

lol both the 11 and 13 have crazy resolutions at their respective sizes...the only reason to wait is if you're hoping for the 15" air/pro in march