PDA

View Full Version : Sawtooth/Blank Screen

stickenhoffen
Nov 25, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hi, new here, but been using Macs since System 6! Those were the days... anyway.

Anyone seen this before? Weird sawtooth effect at the bottom of the screen.

The wife tells me this happens then the screen goes blank; as I'm typing this it's just gone blank and I cannot get the screen to light up again. It's running, just nothing on the display.

Check the attachment.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

eman
Nov 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
I've never seen this before. Is this one of the unibody white macbooks (2.26 processor)? Looks like a problem with the LED backlight.

stickenhoffen
Nov 25, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hi, yes I'm sure it's a MacBook7,1. I will check when it comes back to life. It feels pretty hot. I'm going to let it finish the diagnostics and wait and see if it comes back to life.

Do you know, is the backlight a separate component? Or does it mean a full screen replacement? It's just out of warranty. I always suspect there's some timer at work when stuff like this happens! ;)

ezramoore
Nov 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
Hi, yes I'm sure it's a MacBook7,1. I will check when it comes back to life. It feels pretty hot. I'm going to let it finish the diagnostics and wait and see if it comes back to life.

Do you know, is the backlight a separate component? Or does it mean a full screen replacement? It's just out of warranty. I always suspect there's some timer at work when stuff like this happens! ;)

Full panel replacement, usually the entire clamshell. The LCDs are a bear to get out of those tops.