PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday.. Buy Macbook Air?

thriii
Nov 25, 2011, 09:01 AM
I have an apple gift card I have been waiting to use and I planned on waiting until the next macbook air until I use it but I'm thinking about using it today.

Are there any known upgrades on the macbook air coming out next?

Any issues with the current macbook air?

How difficult would it be to sell the macbook air if I bought it today is there an estimate to how much I could sell it for when the next one comes out?

TheJing
Nov 25, 2011, 09:04 AM
If you want it now, buy it now.

Macs have a pretty high resale value so don't worry about it.

Weaselboy
Nov 25, 2011, 09:37 AM

It is not likely there will be any updates until the new Intel Ivy Bridge chipset hits in March/April 2012. If you need the machine, there is no compelling reason not to buy now.

thriii
Nov 25, 2011, 10:55 AM
thanks for the replys!

It is not somethign I need but somethign I been waiting to get since I will only need it to travel or when i work in other locations. If it will take that long for an update I might as well get it now and save some money

Thanks!

GTANJ
Nov 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
Buy anything but the base model MBA, which in my opinion is utterly useless.

thriii
Nov 25, 2011, 11:16 AM
Buy anything but the base model MBA, which in my opinion is utterly useless.

I was taking a look at the 13" and tryin to max it out but it seems the only thing i can change as far as the macbook air is the processor to i7.. so is this all I can change or si there more b4 i purchase?

kjlake
Nov 25, 2011, 11:19 AM
I was taking a look at the 13" and tryin to max it out but it seems the only thing i can change as far as the macbook air is the processor to i7.. so is this all I can change or si there more b4 i purchase?

Basically the only options are the processor, SSD size and RAM - and IMHO more is better...

paulrbeers
Nov 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
Processor: Processor upgrade on the 13" will only gain you about 10% in benchmarks (do a google search you'll find it). Whether this is worth upgrading is entirely up to you. To me it was not. On the 11" models it is a gain of about 25% so it is worth it there.

RAM: 4GB is the only option on all but the base 11" model (which only comes with 2GB). OSX is surprising good at making use of RAM so 4GB should be plenty at least for the next few years unless you are doing video editing or something (which the AIR is not intended/suited for!).

SSD: 128GB isn't terrible, but I do wish I had the 256GB. I am now storing a lot of suff in the "cloud" so I don't have to carry as much on my hard drive. This approach works, but it isn't as nice as having it on the hard drive. I got such a good deal on my Air that I figured I could always upgrade with an OWC drive down the line if I really needed to.

cedwhatev
Nov 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, go with 4GB of RAM and at least 128GB SSD... but you can't go wrong with buying one today.

SDColorado
Nov 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
The fact that you can get $101 off today, would help off-set a hit you would take if you decide you want to re-sell/upgrade it down the road. The current machines are great, no reason not to buy today if you want one today.

Seasought
Nov 25, 2011, 12:37 PM

Mac Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)

Any issues with the current macbook air?

The complaints I've read (and not experienced myself) is that the battery doesn't last for hundreds of hours and that it runs hot, like any laptop, at times.

How difficult would it be to sell the macbook air if I bought it today is there an estimate to how much I could sell it for when the next one comes out?

Difficult is relative really. I've read that others have sold their old machines without a problem. As for estimate, why not do some research on the numbers and see what turns up? It's going to vary depending on when you sell, the condition of it, etc.