PDA

View Full Version : Alright Apple, it's time to kill the iPod photo

MacBytes
May 23, 2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Alright Apple, it's time to kill the iPod photo (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050523100558)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 23, 2005, 09:13 AM
Best article in quite a while. I couldn't agree more... :)

Merging the iPods and the iPod photos just makes sense.

mad jew
May 23, 2005, 09:20 AM
It's really just a matter of time.

narco
May 23, 2005, 09:24 AM
This guy talks a lot of crap, but every once in a (great) while he makes a good point. I've been saying this whole thing with the iPod photo for quite some time, but figured Apple would slowly transfer everything to the iPod photo sooner or later.

The name totally throws people off. When the (brainless) consumers go to a store and see the iPod photo, they're going to assume it doesn't play music. But people know an iPod plays music, so just keep the iPod name and add "view photos" as one of the featured bullet points.

But for me, I DO have thousands of songs (12,655 to be exact) so photos or not, I need the 60GB because I simply don't have enough room.

And yes, I DO need all 12,000+ songs with me at ALL TIMES.

Fishes,
narco.

hob
May 23, 2005, 09:34 AM
And yes, I DO need all 12,000+ songs with me at ALL TIMES.

I know the feeling :)

I think this article was pretty well written - at first I thought it was going to attack the iPod photo overall but when I realised what he was actually trying to say... totally makes sense!

Bear
May 23, 2005, 10:00 AM
The current 30GB & 60GB models are being called "iPod Color" in some places...including on their packaging. I think part of the reason why is they no longer include the dock or the A/V cable needed to display the photos on a TV.

Lancetx
May 23, 2005, 10:31 AM
It's rather obvious that the entire iPod line is moving in this direction. There won't be a need for a "iPod photo" soon enough as they'll all have color screens with the exception of the iPod shuffle.

sillycybin
May 23, 2005, 10:55 AM
Pretty bold to state the obvious, and inevitable. Two weeks before it happens no less. Why not just wait till June 5th to reveal this idea. Whoever woulda thunked.

nbs2
May 23, 2005, 11:02 AM
512 KB shuffle...so compact...twice...need editing...

Savage Henry
May 23, 2005, 11:02 AM
Pretty bold to state the obvious, and inevitable. Two weeks before it happens no less. Why not just wait till June 5th to reveal this idea. Whoever woulda thunked.But this way means thy can produce another article in a fortnight's time in the style of "Told You So" to the fanfare of them blowing their own trumpet.

dornoforpyros
May 23, 2005, 11:12 AM
DUH! of cource apple is going to integrate the colour screen down the line starting with the normal white iPods. I mean eventually the mini will have a colour screen in a year or 2....oohhh maby I should write an article about that so I can take credit for being uber smart in 2 years!

I dunno I completly agree with this guys points and his logic it just kinda seems like he's pointing out the obviose.

SoundGuyDave
May 23, 2005, 11:22 AM
Just bought me a 60GB ipod, haven't put one photo on it but did put 30+ GB of music on it.

Also, RIP my 2G 10gig iPod

nagromme
May 23, 2005, 11:43 AM
I've got my photo library on mine, and music too, and also use it as a large but portable quick-backup/shuttle drive. But most importantly I need 60 GB so I can boot my own OS X and home folder on any Mac. Now THAT'S portable computing!

The photos and TV-out are great, but the main thing is the color UI. I love it.

Of course the color screen will move down the line. That began long ago with the re-branding of the Photo's pakaging, the elimination of the high-end non-Photo model, and the price drops.

One day a 10 GB color Mini will be the ultimate iPod I think! I'd snap one up.

rock6079
May 23, 2005, 11:57 AM
was about to read this until the second paragraph came along... how can you take someones opinion seriously when they make this mistake twice.

"You've got the 512KB iPod shuffle, which is not only priced cheaper than any of its competitors, it's also priced cheaper than most 512 KB keychain drives that don't play music."

iJaz
May 23, 2005, 12:27 PM
Meh, it has already been kind of discussed here... A long time ago. MacForums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=121392)

iJaz
May 23, 2005, 12:28 PM
DUH! of cource apple is going to integrate the colour screen down the line starting with the normal white iPods. I mean eventually the mini will have a colour screen in a year or 2....oohhh maby I should write an article about that so I can take credit for being uber smart in 2 years!

I dunno I completly agree with this guys points and his logic it just kinda seems like he's pointing out the obviose.
Hmm, when they add it to the Shuffle I'll give you credit ;)

dontmatter
May 23, 2005, 12:45 PM
y'know, i'm starting to think I disagree with this line of reasoning. They recently brought the photo majorly down in price, and sales continue to do poorly.

People aren't buying them because 3 times the capacity isn't something unless you can fill it, and it's to the point where few people need any more space.

And, as we've seen, extra features always seems to loose to the cool factor- the shuffle is almost feature-free, and doing wonderfully in the flash market, against competitors with fm tuners, all the rest. why? it's small, simple, and stylish.

The classic ipod isn't stylish anymore. It's just too big. Photos are nice, but not a major draw. That extra capacity-it's a small population that needs it.

What apple needs to do, is get the ipod smaller. They can get hitichi or some other drive maker to make a new size, a bit larger than the mini, larger capacity, but not nearly so big as the classic. Cut the capacity down to 10-30 GB, in the range of far more people's collections, and the size to just a bit larger than the mini. Add a little spice to the look, too.

Of course, you can never decrease capacity, so they might have to keep the old ones around but add video, or something. But the ipod needs to shrink, or else it will be taken over by the mini.

Mord
May 23, 2005, 12:59 PM
this guy must have really small pockets, i keep my 3rd gen 20GB ipod with headphones my bus pass a swiss army knife and a pair of fold up pliers in my left pocket most of the time, heck i even have an ipod sized pocket inside the pocket on most of my pairs of jeans.

nagromme
May 23, 2005, 02:16 PM
They recently brought the photo majorly down in price, and sales continue to do poorly.

I guess it depends on your definition of "poorly." The highest-end player obviously has a smaller audience than lower-end players. That's not "poor" sales, that's natural.

Lacero
May 23, 2005, 02:21 PM
Calling it the iPod photo was a mistake. It's basically a mp3 player with a color screen that happens to also show pictures, but should not be the main selling point. The price is also a bit inflated, considering the money you spend on an iPod photo 60GB, you can get a Mac mini, an XBox 360 or the PS3.

puckhead193
May 23, 2005, 02:22 PM
Anyone think their will be a new design soon/new features like bluetooth, i hate looking for my stupid cable.

James Philp
May 23, 2005, 02:24 PM
a swiss army knife and a pair of fold up pliers in my left pocket most of the time
Get a Leatherman?
It seems obvious to me that all iPods will eventually have colour screens, and with that comes the opportunity to have any iPod as a photographer's tool (extra storage on holiday etc. - VERY useful), and view then on a television.

Big wow pal!

nagromme
May 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
BTW, the iPod Photo 30 is currently the 6th best-selling music player at Amazon. The iPod Photo 60 is the 12th best-selling player.

Both of them beat the top-selling NON-Apple player, a heavily-discounted SanDisk flash player at #14. Above that it's all iPods and iPod-only accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/electronics/13873631/ref=pd_ts_e_nav/

In fact, even if you look at ALL audio/video products combined (everything from DVD players to cameras to CD carry cases to home theater equipment to flash memory and thumb drives), the iPod Photo is still the #9 seller!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/electronics/1065836/ref=pd_ts_ldr/

Re price: the iPod Photo is the cheapest iPod per MB of storage. Miniaturizing that much storage has a price. You may as well compare an eMac to an iBook and say that Apple has inflated the iBook's price.

billystlyes
May 23, 2005, 03:13 PM
It's time for iPod prices to come down. The new round of iPod TV spots have jumped the shark. I wish Apple the best but it's time for some changes.

wrldwzrd89
May 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. The iPod line is definitely in need of a shake-up to eliminate the self-upsell self-destruct that occurs now. Doing so will ultimately result in more iPod sales for Apple.

SilvorX
May 23, 2005, 05:04 PM
wow 512KB iPod.. even less storage than the regular floppy!

Stella
May 24, 2005, 07:12 AM
Poor Article.

Whether the author likes it or not, Colour is here to stay, monochrome is out ( for the originally large iPods).

The author also doesn't think very much, highlighted by the quote below.
Not everyone WANTS to spend "just" another $50 for a music player, thus Apple's current iPod line up is good - if people want to small small amount of money, Shuffles are good, mini and full iPod.

"So you sell yourself on the idea of the $149 iPod shuffle being the better value, but at that point you realize you're just another fifty bucks away from getting yourself an iPod mini, which not only only holds four times as many songs, but actually has a screen on it. The mini is, after, a "real" iPod in just about every way that the shuffle is not."

Lacero
May 24, 2005, 07:16 AM
This only proves people want to pay the least amount of money for what the device does best and that is to play music. People don't want photos or video on their iPods, not as some people on this board are clamoring for. If Apple listened to the wishes on this board, get ready for the iPod to become a bloated mess.

I think Apple should get rid of photo functionality altogether, and instead, drop the price points by about $100 on the high end offerings.

nagromme
May 25, 2005, 02:01 PM
Photo functionality doesn't add $100.

And having features or models that SOME people want is OK, even if you don't want the same thing personally.