PDA

View Full Version : All Macbook Air, iPad 2 and iPhone Owners.

walpear8
Nov 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Calling all Macbook Air, iPad 2 and 4s Owners. You enjoying your ultra mobile setup?

Troneas
Nov 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
why aren't previous versions of iPhone or iPads "ultra-mobile"?

mj1108
Nov 25, 2011, 04:51 PM
What if we have 2 out of the 3?

I have a MBA, iPad 2 and.....a EVO 4G (which I love).

Xikum
Nov 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
I just dont see the point in owning an iPad when you have a MBA. The MBA does its job perfectly. If you want the extra space/battery life, go for the 13. If you want the most portable computer ever made, get the 11. With its SSD, start up times and awake from sleep just aren't a problem. It is also (obviously) alot more powerful than an iPad, and has a dedicated keyboard.

To me, that makes a MBA+iPad a big waste of money. But hey, each to their own; its their money.

Yumunum
Nov 25, 2011, 05:17 PM
I JUST got my iPad 2... Got my iPhone 4, iPad, and MacBook Air on me right now, lol.

I'm hoping to use the iPad more than the other two

Xikum
Nov 25, 2011, 05:18 PM
I JUST got my iPad 2... Got my iPhone 4, iPad, and MacBook Air on me right now, lol.

I'm hoping to use the iPad more than the other two

What made you purchase an iPad, considering you already have a MBA+iPhone? Im curious, not trying to be judgemental or anything.

glen e
Nov 25, 2011, 05:25 PM
I just dont see the point in owning an iPad when you have a MBA. The MBA does its job perfectly. If you want the extra space/battery life, go for the 13. If you want the most portable computer ever made, get the 11. With its SSD, start up times and awake from sleep just aren't a problem. It is also (obviously) alot more powerful than an iPad, and has a dedicated keyboard.

To me, that makes a MBA+iPad a big waste of money. But hey, each to their own; its their money.

once again everyone who has both is stupid, huh?

try and use an MBA walking around when making a presentation, when waiting for a plane, etc...you guys crack me up that know it all and "proclaim" what is right and wrong....grow up....

Dornblaser
Nov 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Yup. I love the iMac/MBA/iPad/iPhone combo. I hope that I will be able to upgrade all in '12.

Xikum
Nov 25, 2011, 05:31 PM

try and use an MBA walking around when making a presentation, when waiting for a plane, etc...you guys crack me up that know it all and "proclaim" what is right and wrong....grow up....

Ha. Grow up? I quite clearly stated ">>I<< dont see the point", "each to their own", and "to me". Im sorry for having a different opinion than you (or more accurately, I'm sorry you haven't received the education necessary for development of basic literacy and reading skills).

I was ASKING what reasons people thought they needed an iPad with a MBA, as I (thats right, me as an individual again) haven't thought of any. That doesn't mean I'm right, and knowing this, I am just curious to find out other peoples opinions. Clearly you aren't .

glen e
Nov 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
cut the crap - this is clearly a sanctimonious statement....you are not "open" to asking when you write this:

Troneas
Nov 25, 2011, 05:39 PM

i think the point is that if you own an iPad, you'd probably go for a more robust laptop such as the macbook pro for your computing needs.

the logic being that people buy the air mostly due to its mobility.

boy-better-know
Nov 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
Currently using macboook air 2011 13"' ipad 2 3g 32gb and iphone 4. Works out really well and they all have their uses.

Dornblaser
Nov 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
Ha. Grow up? I quite clearly stated ">>I<< dont see the point", "each to their own", and "to me". Im sorry for having a different opinion than you (or more accurately, I'm sorry you haven't received the education necessary for development of basic literacy and reading skills).

I was ASKING what reasons people thought they needed an iPad with a MBA, as I (thats right, me as an individual again) haven't thought of any. That doesn't mean I'm right, and knowing this, I am just curious to find out other peoples opinions. Clearly you aren't .

Long flights to other continents. Working on SWA and smaller European airlines. Using real apps, not just the top "something on iTunes". Picking and marking sports on topo maps for stream improvement work (we should all give back). Having easy to pass around pics when someone asks a question that is easily handled with a pic. Real life, post-uni stuff, these are a few of the reasons that an iPad is unmatched. Sharing online material easily, not so good on an iPhone nor a MBA but great on the iPad. Reading the NYT, FJ, WSJ, over coffee in who knows where. Nice GPS, better than the iPhone, when the rental car GPS can't figure out that NJ has multiple towns with the same name. And, because the combo works so well together for those who work.

FWIW - I find there is a serious divide between the youngsters (under 25 or so) and the "older folks" in most threads.

glen e
Nov 25, 2011, 05:46 PM
i think the point is that if you own an iPad, you'd probably go for a more robust laptop such as the macbook pro for your computing needs.

the logic being that people buy the air mostly due to its mobility.

I own both and they do not conflict in any way.. My MBA air is light for packing and when I need to create presentations, the MBA is king, bbut stays in the hotel. However, for moving from point to point, the ipad is clearly superior to a clamshell design that houses a lot more than I need in a reader and presentation tool, which the ipad is. A ipad is also totally perfect for a construction jobsite vs an MBA to view PDF's from the 6th floor when reviewing construction plans.

I have been using the two in partnership for a year or two this way. But many here think they have it all figured out based on the way they use their machine so there can't be any other applications and they issue their edict. That's the crap I'm talking about. Mostly it's kids who write that way.I'm sure they think they have politics figured out too...LOL

Xikum
Nov 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
cut the crap - this is clearly a sanctimonious statement....you are not "open" to asking when you write this:

You will have to explain your logic there. I never saw that point in having them both; therefore, in my opinion, it was a big waste of money. I never said "anybody who owns both a MBA and an iPad is an idiot!", did I? It isnt my right to say whether another person has spent their hard earned cashed rightly or wrongly as a fact, however it is my right to hold an opinion on it.

Feel free to disagree with me, but considering you didn't actually give me any examples...

Long flights to other continents. Working on SWA and smaller European airlines. Using real apps, not just the top "something on iTunes". Picking and marking sports on topo maps for stream improvement work (we should all give back). Having easy to pass around pics when someone asks a question that is easily handled with a pic. Real life, post-uni stuff, these are a few of the reasons that an iPad is unmatched. Sharing online material easily, not so good on an iPhone nor a MBA but great on the iPad. Reading the NYT, FJ, WSJ, over coffee in who knows where. Nice GPS, better than the iPhone, when the rental car GPS can't figure out that NJ has multiple towns with the same name. And, because the combo works so well together for those who work.

FWIW - I find the divide to be between college kids and older folks. Having both makes perfect sense for the traveling professional.

I see. Being a Uni student, I had never considered it from the viewpoint of a professional. All the better if your company pays for it too, huh? ;)

Dornblaser
Nov 25, 2011, 05:49 PM
I see. Being a Uni student, I had never considered it from the viewpoint of a professional. All the better if your company pays for it too, huh? ;)

Not so much if you own the company. :cool:

appleguy123
Nov 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
I have all three. The MacBook Air is the newest addition. I loved the iPad so much when I was using the 17" MacBook Pro. With the 13" Air, I'm really struggling to find a use. The Laptop is really just as portable as the iPad(more if you're also carrying a Bluetooth Keyboard), and does so much more. I'm sure the iPad 3 with Retina display will turn my usage on its heels those. That display will be revolutionary!

entatlrg
Nov 25, 2011, 06:44 PM

The key is don't be narrow minded.

I use my iPad and 11" Air all day every day, work and pleasure.

Yumunum
Nov 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
What made you purchase an iPad, considering you already have a MBA+iPhone? Im curious, not trying to be judgemental or anything.

iPhone screens are insanely small, so doing anything serious on it is a pain. Normal computers can be pretty annoying for quick use, for example, 1. Bad battery life. 2. Waiting for the computer to be usable when waking from sleep (SO annoying), closing all your last windows/applications, and not having Internet unless I have Wifi or turn on my iPhone's hotspot... Very tedious things.

The iPad can be flipped on in the blink of an eye, I can write a note or something, and be done. Then, if 3 seconds later I need to write something else, it's still just as easy!

The iPad will be good for reading; buying school books, reading the Bible. And if I digitize everything, my backpack will weigh practically nothing.

I have AT&T on my iPhone, and Verizon on my iPad. I'll have connection everywhere!

I think I'm gonna keep my iPad on me 24/7. I have a sling, and I can just pull my iPad out when I want it. When I want to google something, I don't wanna use my iPhone, I wanna use the full tabbed browser and large screen of the iPad.

Watching videos and showing people things is easier, editing and creating documents will be easy, and the new split keyboard will allow me to walk and use the iPad at the same time. It's not very fun to walk with a laptop :P

deepakvrao
Nov 25, 2011, 07:50 PM
New to Apple, but got an ipad when the 2 was launched. Loved it, and when my Dell needed to be replaced, got the Air 13. Just 2 days on it now, and I will NEVER go back to Windows.

Like everyone said, ultraportable laptop and ipad serve different purposes. We cycle tour a lot, when we will probably make do with a ipad. Trips where weight is not an issue, one laptop and one ipad. If wife also wants to do work on a trip, 2 Airs. [Ordered one for her too from Best Buy:)] Hers should reach by Christmas.

SDColorado
Nov 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
For me, the 3 have their place. The iPad is great as a portable portfolio, idea book, etc., for photography. Easy to hand to people to have them sign releases, using easy release. I am often using it in places where there is no WiFi, so the 3G is valuable. There are a number of Apps I use with it as well. I really like it a lot.

The MBA 13" fits nicely between the lightweight portability of my iPad and my 17" MBP. it also fits between them in terms of computing power and storage.

The iPhone I use more for texting and phone calls than anything else. If there is really one tool that is maybe a bit redundant for me, it may actually be the iPhone. But that said, it is kind of like the saying about cameras “The best camera is the One That's with You." The best computer is the one that is with you as well, and sometimes thats the iPhone. So I would rather not do without that either.

kas23
Nov 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
I have all 3 and use them all differently. The iPhone is the on-the-go, take everywhere device. The iPad is the device I take out when I'm at a coffee shop or on the couch. I use it mainly as a PDF reader. However, the iPad is near useless when trying to write a paper longer than a half-page, a PowerPoint presentation, or working with multi-page Excel sheets. These are accomplished on my MBA.

Abazigal
Nov 25, 2011, 11:17 PM
You will have to explain your logic there. I never saw that point in having them both; therefore, in my opinion, it was a big waste of money. I never said "anybody who owns both a MBA and an iPad is an idiot!", did I? It isnt my right to say whether another person has spent their hard earned cashed rightly or wrongly as a fact, however it is my right to hold an opinion on it.

Feel free to disagree with me, but considering you didn't actually give me any examples...

I think the issue here is not what you said, but how you said it. I feel it is okay to have your own POV in this matter, you just don't have to sound like a self-righteous arrogant prick when it comes to voicing your opinion. :)

glen e
Nov 25, 2011, 11:20 PM
I think the issue here is not what you said, but how you said it. I feel it is okay to have your own POV in this matter, you just don't have to sound like a self-righteous arrogant prick when it comes to voicing your opinion. :)

thanks for the laugh before I turn it...you nailed it....:):)

We get these "The MBA is the only answer" posts about every 60 days here....and they always come from some sophomore that just got their MBA, and is opining away in their dorm room.....

Lurchdubious
Nov 25, 2011, 11:31 PM
I have all three and I love it. BUT, now that I don't have to take any notes at school, I really don't use the iPad2 much. It mostly sits at my bedside for browsing/reading at night. It also gets used for games, mostly by my 4 yr old ;). As much as I love my iPad2, I really don't need it right now. I know I'll want to upgrade to the new iPad when it's released, but I can't justify it. I really prefer using my Air at night (over the iPad) for recreation/casual browsing in front of the TV.

RealRuler
Nov 26, 2011, 12:52 AM
I got a Samsung galaxy S2 / 13 MBA / iPad 2 / dell xps 15 setup going and I love it. Also looking to upgrade my gaming pc lol.

deepakvrao
Nov 26, 2011, 02:04 AM
I got a Samsung galaxy S2 / 13 MBA / iPad 2 / dell xps 15 setup going and I love it. Also looking to upgrade my gaming pc lol.

Same combo here except that my Dell is long in tooth, and an old Vostro.

Sith Vol
Nov 26, 2011, 02:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yep! iPad 2 at launch...iPhone 4S preordered and now Air. I'm slowly but surely becoming all Apple. Next step to fully break away from Windows/PC is to buy an iMac, which won't be any time soon.

monchiwai
Nov 26, 2011, 04:57 AM

no offense but I don't agree. I have MBA 13" and an iPad and I think both of them serve different purposes. I use my MBA for proper computing stuffs, i.e. for work and to be productive. Not saying that using iPad cannot be productive but it is just not for that purpose. I use my iPad mostly when I am on the bed or sofa, browsing the internet, FB, emails...etc. Though MBA is small, holding iPad on the sofa/bed feels more comfortable. Just my opinion.
I think they compliment each other and I love having them both! :)

mac8867
Nov 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
I have a iPhone 4s, MBP 13" and I just sold my iPad 1st Gen. I sold it because I was made a great offer, and had full intentions of upgrading to the 2nd gen. BUT, I am torn between a new iPad and a MBA. To be completely honest, I like the idea of an 11" MBA simply because I "think" it will fill the iPad void and still offer a little more compute power. I never did get used to the iPad multi-touch keyboard.

So, I open it up to you... fill my personal mobile with new iPad or MBA?

Lurchdubious
Nov 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have a iPhone 4s, MBP 13" and I just sold my iPad 1st Gen. I sold it because I was made a great offer, and had full intentions of upgrading to the 2nd gen. BUT, I am torn between a new iPad and a MBA. To be completely honest, I like the idea of an 11" MBA simply because I "think" it will fill the iPad void and still offer a little more compute power. I never did get used to the iPad multi-touch keyboard.

In your case I'd jump on an Air. $150 off on Amazon yesterday, no tax, free shipping!

joshuaginter
Nov 26, 2011, 10:53 AM

I think you will find that your MBA/MBP will become redundant more than having a MBA/iPad/iPhone combo. iPad apps, I find, often fill the need a lot more than Mac apps. And they are also cheaper.

But, this is just my two cents. I am probably gonna grab the MBA/iPad/ iPhone combo; I may be biased.

orfeas0
Nov 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
I have a 13" MBA and an iPhone 3gs and it's awesome.
I don't need a 4/4s since I have all the apps anyway. But tbh, it's a little slow lately running 4.3.4. Waiting for the iPhone 5 :)

torbjoern
Nov 26, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have 2 out of 3, but I'm getting the iPad 2 for Christmas. And I know I will enjoy that setup. I'm going to use the iPad for watching movies, reading books and playing games in situations where it's too cramped and cumbersome (or downright awkward) to pull out a laptop. I'm also going to use the iPad as an external display with the Air. But of course, there are tasks for which I find the Air far more suitable, such as programming, printing, typing, etc - and don't get me started about Flash.

The iPad does have it shortcomings, but in many cases, it is more convenient to use an iPad than a laptop - even if that laptop is a MacBook Air. You may not need 3G on your iPad if you already have an iPhone, since you can share the 3G connection by using your iPhone as a WiFi-hotspot. Depends on your data plan, though (you will need tethering and a big quota).

Lurchdubious
Nov 26, 2011, 03:26 PM
It's true that the iPad fills needs the Air just can't. I forgot to mention that one of the biggest uses of my iPad is when propped on the display of my elliptical as I'm exercising at home. I HATE cardio, and nothing makes that time fly faster than watching a movie on Netflix/ABC/NBC! I also recently flew to Jamaica and all I took was my iPad2 - she did fine as my only computer for a whole week, not to mention watching movies on the plane.

sporadicMotion
Nov 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
I have an iPhone 4 and an Air. I keep reading opinions on the redundancy between the Air and the iPad and the only way I can see this is if all you use these for is consuming web content and basic content creation. I find myself wanting an iPad every time I switch from the iPhone 4 to the Air for larger screen content consumption. I like the touch screen interaction... it feels so natural and that's something the Air doesn't quite do. The iPad can't host a variety of VM's and handle the heavy lifting that the Air (sometimes surprisingly) can do. I really just don't see how these devices are the same... I guess it just depends on what type of user you are.

Buildbright
Nov 26, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have an iPhone 4, Ipad 2, Macbook Air 2011, and Desktop. Every device has a unique purpose and while some overlap tasks they can not replace each other.

My iPhone is my on the go communicator, and email machine. Also my main camera. To small for long browsing or reading a magazine.

I use my iPad for everything. Still have not found anything that searches the web as wonderfully as the iPad. I use it in the kitchen as my cookbook. Around my house as my portable tv. My magazine rack, book rack, and music hub. My universal remote (my iPhone too) and so much more.

Desktop is my workhorse and it is a pc. Would love a MacPro but the high entry price and limited upgrade options keep me away. I have a Beast of a PC with 6 24" VA panel monitors and two powerful graphics cards. 16 gb of ram, SSD, and a 5 ghz quad core 2600k. Monitors and PC included it was still cheaper then just a baseline Mac Pro. Also with a PC you can upgrade parts as you get money. But the idea of having a computer that is all under warranty and has great resale value is tempting. But if I want to upgrade to next gen components all I have to do is buy a CPU and Motherboard which I can do affordably with the Mac Pro.

Macbook Air is Laptop Nirvana. A gourmet tech product that not everyone can afford but if you have the means I highly recommend it. But it can never replace an Ipad which is great for gaming and works great for browsing in the bathroom..lol