Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank_Reardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Forgive me if this is condescending, but has anyone else noticed the occasionally disturbing similarities between Apple aficionado'ism and North American evangelical Christianity? Both groups seem to consist of the same gradient of indoctrination/mindlessness.

1. There are those people who have allowed themselves and their personal identity to become intertwined with the movement that they cannot allow themselves to even doubt for a moment the legitimacy of their purpose for fear of losing all purpose in life.

2. There are those who more or less understand what it is they've gotten themselves in to and believe on the whole it has improved their life in some tangible way. As such, they seek to share their discoveries with those who are important to them. When, however, the targets of their evangelism do not respond as they had anticipated, they often grow irritable, prideful or all together indignant.

3. There are those who have had a near death experience (or blue screen of death) living without it, and have since changed their ways.

4. There are those who have been brought into the fold, but aren't quite comfortable admitting it yet. They don't let their friends know, or at least haven't yet, but are gradually easing them in to the idea by dropping hints now and then (gee, your computer seems to crash a lot).

Try this: Buy a tape recorder. Put it in your pocket. Drive to your nearest Apple Store or CompUSA, press record, and then tell a sales rep you are thinking of switching to a Mac. 30 minutes later when you are able to escape stop the recorder, replace the tape and drive to your nearest Baptist Church. Press record and tell one of the faithful you are thinking about converting to Christianity. 30 minutes later when you are able to escape stop the recorder. Now go home, put both tapes in a bag, shake it, chose one at random, and while listening to it try to determine which it is.

The scary thing is, I find myself slowing becoming part of the faithful (the Mac faithful that is). I've never been good at the blind faith thing, but Mac OS 10.4 may have been all the evidence I need. God does exist! Er, I mean, not God, Steve... er, no. Wait. Where am I?

--Hank Reardon

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
You could substitute anything into your experiment that people feel strongly about, football, baseball, cars, fishing...

Anyone who's fanatical about a subject will run off at the mouth when confronted with someone professing interest but no knowledge.

Try it with a Microsoft fanboy, tell him you can't decide between the new x-box and the PS3, if you have enough tape in your recorder I'd be amazed... ;)

Apple are a company worth getting a bit bent out of shape over, they do some amazing things.

You are right however, some people take it too far.

Hank_Reardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
I don't disagree

I don't disagree with you at all. If anything my post is introspective, as I have found myself becoming more and more militant as well! I am a pretty even-kilter guy. I've been a lot of places, seen a lot of thing and am quite thoroughly desensitized. Like most kids of the 80's and 90's, I consider myself immune to all the propaganda of the multinational corporations of the world that spews out of my stereo, television and web browser each day, even the more sinister viral marketing campaigns some have recently resorted to (we won't mention names). Nonetheless, I find myself willing to march in the streets over this cheap little iBook. I had no idea life could be so much better. Command+Space, Command+M, Command+W, Command+Tab, Command+~, Command+Ctrl+D, Command+I, Command+Ctrl+I, F8, F9, F10, F11, need I go on? It makes me sad I can't articulate the joy I have found to all my PC-idiot friends. If that is not religion, I don't know what is.

--Hank Reardon

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
1,000 years from now, we would be going to the Apple Store for worship, and we worship Steve Jobs the Perfect, who came to our world to teach us what Perfect computing is, and if we worship Him, we will die and go to the Apple iLife, where we will experience the Perfect computer that could never be conceived by mere humans. Until then we could rejoice with the computers that got the closest to Perfection: Apple Computer, Inc.

How's that for a Materialist religion? :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hank_Reardon said:
Drive to your nearest Apple Store or CompUSA, press record, and then tell a sales rep you are thinking of switching to a Mac. 30 minutes later when you are able to escape stop the recorder, replace the tape and drive to your nearest Baptist Church.

Do you really get 30 minute conversations on the benefits of a mac in a CompUSA? Wow.... I guess I've made it a practice to not go inside one for a long time now! :eek:

What I wonder is...is it possible to have switched because of the community and not be a zealot? That's where I want to fit in.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Hmm... as of yet I haven't had my weekend mornings interrupted by an SUV-full of people who knock on my door and ask if I've heard about the good news regarding Apple. :D

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
"I Know that my redeemer Liveth..."

Creepy thread. I hope the OP meant all this in jest; I am a spiritual person but Evangelical Christians in America have me quite put off at the moment. So no, I will not allow myself, a computer user, to be compared to their ranks.

I think that the fact that Mac users actually enjoy using the tools they chose to complete their work actually bewilders most people using Windows. PC's are uninteresting, at times obdurate machines to work on. To most people, their PC is a combination typewriter/TV/Phone/Game Console.

For most of us that use our Macs for productivity, they are more than that.

Ha ha... I'm having a good day; otherwise I would have probably spewed forth some very unkind words about this thread... I have maintained my serenity.

I wonder what our fellow Pod People (I mean Christian) members will think of this thread...

Damn! So close. Sorry.... :D

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
And to think I was internally interested in Macs because of it's satanic implications. Such as the bite out of the apple, the Darwinism, virgin sacrifices and the like...you know, the good stuff.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
FistfulofAngst said:
And to think I was internally interested in Macs because of it's satanic implications. Such as the bite out of the apple, the Darwinism, virgin sacrifices and the like...you know, the good stuff.

Come on, byte Apple, Apple bite? I myself find it hilarious marketing at it's punniest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.