PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to Repeat old battles!

realitystops
Nov 26, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hello,
I was cured of the dreaded 'technophobia' by a complete MAC transplant about 12 years ago when it saved, not only my sanity but probably my business as well.

The purchase of the beautiful 12"MBP was the beginning of a challenging but enjoyable time.

Most of the challenges, trying to avoid these, came from trying to keep Photoshop working at its fastest without laying out masses of dosh every 10/12 months or so.

I am retired now and want to put my MacPro dependence to rest.

So can you with an honest heart assure me that my CS5 will not only run but run well on an AIR!

It seems to me my ideal system is here with the Air+TB display and storage giving the lightness and power that would have been oh so perfect when I was working.

But I don't want to be playing catchup, have no need to update CS5, or my tech skills - will it be enough/good enough?

My images start out at about the 20mb and end via up to 10 layers at 100/200mb to print.

Come on my experts put me right!

Thank you in advance. ;-)

cluthz
Nov 26, 2011, 09:36 AM
I have a MacBook Air 2011 and I have huge problems with some photoshop functions, it's an issue reported to adobe, but they blame apple:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/brushes_not_working_on_2011_macbook_air

This issue is killing me, and so far there is no solution

edit: seems like 10.7.3 beta is fix't

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16841814#16841814

johnhurley
Nov 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
So can you with an honest heart assure me that my CS5 will not only run but run well on an AIR!

It seems to me my ideal system is here with the Air+TB display and storage giving the lightness and power that would have been oh so perfect when I was working.

The biggest limitation of the current air series is a max of 4 gb of RAM. Not upgradeable just a fixed size maximum.

Is 4 gb going to be enough for you? Does adobe CS5 run ok enough for you in a 4 gb machine?

I would think a more flexible setup for you would be a macbook pro because then you have the choice of upgrading RAM. I think many of the serious photo editors and movie editors go up to 16 gb of RAM and more maybe.

cluthz
Nov 26, 2011, 12:22 PM
4GB can be limiting, but on the good side, when you surpass the 4GB, you'll swap from a SSD, which doesn't make hitting the 4GB ceiling that bad.
Hitting 4GB ceiling on a HDD is a nightmare, but on a SSD it slows down a bit, but it's not a nightmare.

wrkactjob
Nov 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hastings 1066, not worth it.

Xikum
Nov 26, 2011, 05:22 PM
A MacBook Pro sounds more suitable for your needs. Try getting a 13" Pro (its cheaper than a 13" Air), and use the extra money you save to upgrade it to 8 GB RAM. You dont have to buy this directly from Apple, and you can save alot from fitting it yourself (it isnt hard).

If your worried about portability, the 13" Pro is only 700g (give or take) more than the 13" Air, which isnt absurd. Its CPU is also faster, and of course has more storage which could be useful for you.

realitystops
Nov 26, 2011, 05:47 PM
Having read your opinions I think my feeling is one of wait a bit longer.

The extra power of the Pro seems a need at the moment from what you say.

Maybe the next incarnation of the Air will be right.

Thanks again for putting the brakes on when I needed it.