Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Has anyone seen benchmark results for the new powerlogix, sonnet upgrade cards?
I'm interested in seeing results comparing the dual to single cpus of course, but even benchmarks comparing the new 800mhz upgrades and the old sonnet duet cards would be great. Basically, any link that anyone has regarding the performance of these cards I would greatly appreciate. I'm getting quite sick of this 450mhz g4 and with the relatively close costs of the duet sonnet 500 cards and the new powerlogix 800 card... I'm trying to decide.

Thanks for any suggestions or articles!

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: CPU upgrades and benchmarks ^3

Originally posted by cr2sh
Has anyone seen benchmark results for the new powerlogix, sonnet upgrade cards?
I'm interested in seeing results comparing the dual to single cpus of course, but even benchmarks comparing the new 800mhz upgrades and the old sonnet duet cards would be great. Basically, any link that anyone has regarding the performance of these cards I would greatly appreciate. I'm getting quite sick of this 450mhz g4 and with the relatively close costs of the duet sonnet 500 cards and the new powerlogix 800 card... I'm trying to decide.

Thanks for any suggestions or articles!

I assume they give realtive perfornace relative to a true g4 800. I dont know the exact on an add in card but i tested a 800 MHz PB G4 at the apple store and it received a score of 66.35. That tests graphics and hard drive performance also, so your computer's score my vary about 10-15 points in eitehr direction depending on your comfiguaration and ram amount (the pb had 512).

Dual 500s may be a little bit better on things like photoshop and dual proc enabled apps. Other than that.... a dual 500 would be a tad over kill unless u like really snappy osx. but on taht note, if you can afford it, a dual 500 would be great. Unfortunately i have no access to one for testing, so i cannot give an accuarate score to it.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
well thats just it. .. my operations in osX are really limited to webdesign (and video). photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, fireworks.. these are all very taxing on my meager 450. Dual 500 would help me greatly here, but the majority of my audio applications are in (and will remain) in 9.2. Reason, Rebirth, as well as the MOTU items I don't plan to upgrade for quite a while..

This is my predicament, dual 500s are cheap anymore and a single 800 isnt bad at all either. How about hardware conflicts, anyone had problems with either? I've heard the cache enabler on the new powerlogix fixes a lot of issues...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.