Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcash1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Well - I'm making the switch tomorrow. I have a 3 year old C2D mac book pro 15" and I'm moving to a 13" MBA with 256GB.

I need some external storage to fit my Aperture RAW libraries. Any advice for which SSD to pop into a 3.5" enclosure? I'm not going to get anything larger 128GB.

Thanks!

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I wouldn't worry about it too much - you're going to be limited by the USB 2.0 port which is only capable of 40MB/s.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't worry about it too much - you're going to be limited by the USB 2.0 port which is only capable of 40MB/s.
This is definitely worth thinking about. You're going to be paying a significant premium for an SSD, while the performance difference between an external SSD vs platter drive is going to be minimal.

What kind of enclosure/connector are you going to be using to connect the external drive?

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Do you need a mobile storage solution or is this just for at home? I find banging redundant files and all my iTunes library on a NAS gives my air plenty of free space.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The only connection on a Macbook Air that is even possibly capable of accepting the full bandwidth of an external SSD would be thunderbolt, and I don't know of any thunderbolt SSDs. Even then you'd have to test it, but the potential for bandwidth would be there. SSDs do break just like mechanical drives. The lack of moving parts isn't a complete and automatic fix for hard drive reliability issues.

If you're popping a drive into an enclosure, you should do your homework on enclosures. I've seen some decent ones, and some very bad ones. I've got a fanless icydock firewire enclosure (it runs surprisingly cool) that's worked okay for a very long time, but many people have complained about dead power supplies on them. Then I've seen others with noisy fans that still ran hotter. A good design goes quite a long way on these.

mcash1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Totally huge thanks for the replies. I'm going to get a 1tb drive for now and see where the ssd market goes. Obviously a thunderbolt ssd solution will be what I'll want when it's ready to sell.

Thx!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.