PDA

View Full Version : 128GB 1.7GHZ or 256GB 1.8GHZ

snow-munki
Nov 27, 2011, 05:43 AM
hi guys,

Just wondering which you would recommend out of the 2 models mentioned above for my first apple laptop ( windows based user)

with the 1.8 model does any one know what the battery life comparison is with the 1.7 and how much different the performance is ?

Thanks

Macman45
Nov 27, 2011, 05:49 AM
hi guys,

Just wondering which you would recommend out of the 2 models mentioned above for my first apple laptop ( windows based user)

with the 1.8 model does any one know what the battery life comparison is with the 1.7 and how much different the performance is ?

Thanks

Give you a comparison, but I have the top end 13" with 256.....I think thats essential, 128 just isn't enough space. I use the Air for special task's with my MBP 17" doing the really hard in the field work.

If you have to compromise, make sure it's not on space. You might want to consider an external superdrive too....I bought one at the same time. They are not Air specific so it's a portable USB optical drive you can use with any mac. Talk to them nicely and they might throw it in for zip....They did for me.

Hellhammer
Nov 27, 2011, 06:14 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update

Unless you do something CPU intensive, there is no need to go for the i7.

snowwhite007
Nov 27, 2011, 06:43 AM
My opinion is i would opt for the space first 128GB is not enough for most people and i no people say use an external but how practical is that? I would stick wit the 256gb 1.7ghz model its ideal as imo 1.8 aint that different

johnhurley
Nov 27, 2011, 09:21 AM
My opinion is i would opt for the space first 128GB is not enough for most people and i no people say use an external but how practical is that? I would stick wit the 256gb 1.7ghz model its ideal as imo 1.8 aint that different

Completely agree except for those people that will constantly worry that they did not get the fastest possible 256 gb model.

For day to day usage not going to make any significant difference.

For those people that will lose sleep over it then buy the faster machine.

snowwhite007
Nov 27, 2011, 09:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah if ur guna wish u had the best then u should get the 1.8

ZBoater
Nov 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
Get the biggest, fastest MBA you can afford. No one ever complained about having too much disk space or too many GHz. Especially if you plan on running Windows either in Bootcamp or in a virtual machine (Parallels or VM Fusion). Every extra MHz and MB helps.

bossxii
Nov 27, 2011, 03:50 PM
I went for the 13" i5 w/256gig SSD as disk space is more important that a few percentage in CPU speed. Not to mention the i5 has Hyperthreading and Tubro boost so it's pretty rare to max out the CPU unless your doing handbrake or some video editing... which was never my plan on a MBA. I've done some light Photoshop and the bottleneck is 4gigs of ram, not the CPU. It's rare I'll use it for PS, but it's handy if I need to finish up a project at home.