Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Short question, I was wondering if there seemed to be a pattern between the 11" Macbook air and the 13' inch...I heard somewhere that the 11" Macbook Air's tend to have the Samsung Drive and the 13" usually have the Toshiba drive...but i just wanted to see what you guys thought?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Short question, I was wondering if there seemed to be a pattern between the 11" Macbook air and the 13' inch...I heard somewhere that the 11" Macbook Air's tend to have the Samsung Drive and the 13" usually have the Toshiba drive...but i just wanted to see what you guys thought?

No. And Frankly, from a day to day use you will never notice. I have the Toshiba and could really care less. The Samsung is only about 20-25% faster in benchmarks and in real life usage you will not notice.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Just picked up a 2011 13" MBA w/256gig SSD shows SMC256C. I wasn't really worried one way or the other, but just thought I"d post what I have in this 13".

As stated above by paulrbeers... I agree, no on will notice in daily tasks. Pushing the SSD to benchmark type performance will be rare anyhow, and while I understand the difference, 1.2 seconds vs 1.4 seconds to open something... I simply don't care and not going to time it. It's freakin' fast either way coming from a 7200rpm HDD. :)

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
No. And Frankly, from a day to day use you will never notice. I have the Toshiba and could really care less. The Samsung is only about 20-25% faster in benchmarks and in real life usage you will not notice.

Really?:confused: Everyone on youtube was saying that there was a HUGE difference. Lol. Guess not :rolleyes: Thank you both for putting my mind at ease. Im getting a MBA for Christmas and Im pretty sure it would be over 14 days by the time i got it so I was scared that i was going to get the Toshiba SSD (Even though I would still be very thankful for the gift, of course). But I'm not so worried about it anymore if I am not going to notice it. Thanks again :)

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Really?:confused: Everyone on youtube was saying that there was a HUGE difference. Lol. Guess not :rolleyes: Thank you both for putting my mind at ease. Im getting a MBA for Christmas and Im pretty sure it would be over 14 days by the time i got it so I was scared that i was going to get the Toshiba SSD (Even though I would still be very thankful for the gift, of course). But I'm not so worried about it anymore if I am not going to notice it. Thanks again :)

Seriously, don't worry about it. I have an 11" with the Toshiba drive and the other day I compared it to my friend's Samsung. There was no difference. Well of course there were differences but nothing you would notice and my Toshiba even performed some tasks faster.

I seriously don't understand what all the fuss is about. People just want to know they have the "best" thing out there even though they wouldn't be able to tell if they had one or the other if they couldn't see which one they had in System Info.

aph3x

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Reno, NV
When I bought my MBA two weeks ago I originally purchased the i5/4GB/256GB model which had the LG screen and the Toshiba SSD. The viewing angles on it were terrible but the speed felt good.

I ended up returning it and getting the i7/4GB/256GB that has a Samsung panel and SSD and it felt noticeably faster in my opinion. Granted it did have the slightly faster processor in it but there was definitely a difference.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Really?:confused: Everyone on youtube was saying that there was a HUGE difference. Lol. Guess not :rolleyes:

That's the problem with the internet. People make mountains out of molehills. There are benchmarks to be found on the internet. Generally the Toshiba had a sequential read speed of 200 mb/s and the samsung had a 250 mb/s and writes are roughly 180mb/s vs 230 mb/s if I remember correctly. Basically any of those blow away a mechanical drive....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.