Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, Best Buy began running a new television ad promoting the chain as the best place to buy Apple products. The ad begins with a woman examining an iPad while talking to a blue-shirted Best Buy employee, saying "I didn't know you guys had all the Apple products." The ad ends with a voiceover: "All the hottest Apple gifts, and the professionals to help. At Best Buy."

Apple has run store-within-a-store concepts at most Best Buy locations in the U.S. for years. Apple crews the locations with Apple-trained and paid staffers to augment the Best Buy employees. With hundreds of locations, Best Buy gives Apple a much larger reach than it would have with only standalone Apple Retail Stores.

Article Link: New TV Ad Promotes "Everything Apple At Best Buy"

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That was hilarious.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Cute ad!

I really enjoy Best Buy's warranty program for the iPhone; a full replacement for any damage to your iPhone. It sure beats Verizon's warranty.

Just goes to show you the power that they have!

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
That was a ********** expensive christmas no matter how cheap BestBuy is.

Let Santa foot the bill.

TheStonepedo

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

At an Apple store you limit shopping choices to screen size, disk capacity, and memory.
A side-by-side comparison of clearly-different products might make selecting the right gizmo a bit easier.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I really enjoy Best Buy's warranty program for the iPhone; a full replacement for any damage to your iPhone.

It must be particular to each store. My son bought an iPhone at our local Best Buy and took out their replacement insurance. He cracked his screen after about six months. Best Buy gave him a hard time about replacing it and finally told him they would repair it for him. They gave him a cheap generic loaner phone for two weeks (and charged his credit card for the loaner). When he picked up his repaired iPhone, Best Buy told him his replacement guarantee was now used up, even though he was still paying the monthly fee. So he was no longer entitled to a free repair. Naturally, he then cancelled his replacement insurance. And he won't be getting another one.

When I've been to that Best Buy, the employees don't seem to know much about Apple products and don't seem to care. They all seem to be using PCs or Android devices. Maybe that's because there's an Apple Store next to them in the mall and they figure people can just go there. But still, it doesn't do much for the Apple brand.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Never heard it used that way before. I-stand-corrected.
I think it's part of the new wave of "We don't like the rules of English so let's use words and grammar improperly until 'they' change them."

I hate it. These people can sleep with the fishes, which is now a word.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No good in the uk! Best buy are shutting down here, there to expensive and no different to comet or currys!

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
At the Best Buy stores by me (Gilbert, AZ) the Apple displays are pretty much ghost towns. I don't think I've ever seen someone with an Apple box in their hands. It may be because we have several Apple stores around the valley and all of them are close to Best Buys. Apple stores are of course just the opposite.

I'm happy and surprised to see Best Buy using Santa in a commercial. Best Buy has always been a very politically correct company around the holidays. Their stores have almost zero decorations.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Ya K. Use to go to besybuy and they scoffed when you asked sales rep for an apple product.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
I do not like Best Buy very much only because of their prices but I broke down today and bought two $50 iTunes cards for $40 each with their cyber monday sale. $10 off was a good deal to me.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I think it's part of the new wave of "We don't like the rules of English so let's use words and grammar improperly until 'they' change them."

I hate it. These people can sleep with the fishes, which is now a word.

Language came first. The "rules" came later, and were made up by self-appointed grammarians. Language is as alive and changing as fashion and technology.

We should correct grammar for clarity, not against arbitrary rules. There is no lack of clarity in the article. Whether or not "crew" had ever been used as a verb before, it's meaning was completely clear.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008

Must be a sign that thunderbolt has killed the need for a Mac Pro.

Either that or professionals don't ask for the equipment for Christmas.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Language came first. The "rules" came later, and were made up by self-appointed grammarians. Language is as alive and changing as fashion and technology.

We should correct grammar for clarity, not against arbitrary rules. There is no lack of clarity in the article. Whether or not "crew" had ever been used as a verb before, it's meaning was completely clear.

Yea, you are absolutely right. Especially in English - a bastard language of German (30% words, 60% of spoken language), Latin and French plus a little Gaelic. These "grammarians" even fight over things like does it have to be Latin rule: "Steve and I was going to the Apple Store." or German rule: "Steve and I were going to the Apple Store." It is so non-sense. Latin wants the verb conjugated after the last substantive (i.e. I, so singular conjugation), German uses the construct (i.e. Steve and I is/are plural, so you conjugate plural). Reality of things is: In the US and A, no one really cares. There is not even an official language. British English is "King's / Queen's English" (depending on who rules) and therefore, if there is a dispute, listen carefully how the current majesty pronounces it and what grammar is used and you have to go by that!

Oh my, don't blame me for getting into detail - I had my Capstone English Linguistics class for a degree in languages... so please, forgive me! ;)

tienathlon

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't understand the Santa part. Can anyone explain it to me, please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.