PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CD drive in old iMac

colinet
May 24, 2005, 02:24 AM
I'm just going to replace the 6 gig harddrive in my wife's rev 2 (tray loading G3 333Mhz) iMac with an 80 gig one which i've installed Tiger on. I recently replace the Apple superdive in my Dual G5 with a double layer Pioneer A108 and I was wondering if I could put the old drive in my wife's iMac or is it physically too big? Any way? If not, could I get the DVD burning to work with the drive in an external case (the old iMac only has USB1 not 2 or firewire) - wouldn't mind in it burnt slowly.

rjphoto
May 24, 2005, 02:13 PM
Give it a try. What have you got to lose if you use the external case?

Have you already installed the 80GIG drive on the iMac? If so, did it have any problems?

If you haven't, make sure you update the ROM on the iMac before you try it. I know this has to be done before you upgrade to OSX. (Been there done that.)

pinto32
May 24, 2005, 02:52 PM
It probably won't fit without modifying the case somewhat. Those iMacs use laptop drives, which are are shorter (front to back) and MUCH thinner (top to bottom) than standard desktop drives.

pinto32
May 24, 2005, 02:57 PM
Ignore my last post...I didnt realize until after I posted that you asked about putting the superdrive in an external enclosure.

As far as physically connecting it, I don't see a problem (other than aesthetics). Easiest way would probably be to just get extended IDE and power cables (unless there is a better solution, which there probably is, but at a price). The main concern I forsee is the possibility that the iMac's firmware might not support a superdrive.

colinet
May 24, 2005, 05:42 PM
Give it a try. What have you got to lose if you use the external case?

Have you already installed the 80GIG drive on the iMac? If so, did it have any problems?

If you haven't, make sure you update the ROM on the iMac before you try it. I know this has to be done before you upgrade to OSX. (Been there done that.)
I haven't put the drive in yet, though I did put a 20gig a while ago with no problems - I'll let you know later in the week. It's currently running OSX 10.3.? - naturally pretty slow. Don't remeber updating the ROM - How do I do that or find out if I need to (or indeed if I already have??)

rjphoto
May 25, 2005, 08:38 AM
It's currently running OSX 10.3.? - naturally pretty slow. Don't remeber updating the ROM - How do I do that or find out if I need to (or indeed if I already have??)

It's more accurately called a firmware update. If it's running 10.3 you may have already done it but here's a link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

I don't think you would have been able to run 10.3 with out it.

I'm running 10.3.8 on a G4 400 PB and 10.3.6 on an iMac DV G3 400 both with the same amount of RAM and can see very little difference in normal everyday task like email, web surfing and iChat.

Good lucka nd keep us psoted.

Macmaniac
May 25, 2005, 08:46 AM
You cannot use the the G5s Superdrive, it is physically to large to fit in the iMac's enclosure without modifying the case. The tray loading CD drive is similar to a laptop CD drive it is very thin, some companies make internal SDs for the old iMac G3, do a google search. Its a shame that it can't use standard drives, probably the closest match in drives would be the new iMac G5s they may use a drive similar to the slot loading iMac G3.