PDA

View Full Version : Next Generation Apple TV Identified as Codename J33

MacRumors
Nov 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/28/next-generation-apple-tv-identified-as-codename-j33/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/j33.png
9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/28/apples-next-generation-apple-tv-moves-closer-to-reality-assigned-j33-codename/) identifies the next generation Apple TV as codename "J33" based on newly found references from the iOS 5.1 beta. Previous references (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/08/next-generation-appletv-references-found-in-ios-5-but-when/) had pinpointed the "AppleTV3,1" in earlier versions of iOS 5, which appears to be the corresponding product id. The "J33" codename doesn't provide any more information about the device, but just provides an extra little hint that Apple is working on a next generation device.

A new Apple TV could integrate Apple's new A5 processor, which offers much faster graphics processing, and include true 1080p support. But unless Apple plans on offering 1080p content on iTunes, that feature would be of limited use to the majority of consumers. Fortunately, Apple has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/08/apple-to-debut-hd-1080p-itunes-movie-services-later-this-year/) to be prepping movie studios to start submitting 1080p content to iTunes.

Article Link: Next Generation Apple TV Identified as Codename J33 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/28/next-generation-apple-tv-identified-as-codename-j33/)

SandboxGeneral
Nov 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet. Looking forward to the next ATV as I am in the market for an additional one. I hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

Thanatoast
Nov 28, 2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe that's why we didn't get AirTunes movies, they were waiting for 1080P to come available. Now we don't need TB's of hard drive space to store them on. I'm liking this fantasy of mine.

basesloaded190
Nov 28, 2011, 09:59 PM
Meh. I would much rather them wait and throw an A6 in there!

pancakedrawer
Nov 28, 2011, 10:02 PM
The next generation model would have to have more than 1080p support for me to upgrade. I don't have much 1080p content as it doesn't play on the current generation ATV, takes up too much hard drive space and doesn't look too much better that 720p to me.

People who buy movies/tv shows etc from iTunes should be given the option to download them in SD, 720p or 1080p and re-download them in a different quality should they feel the need.

With all that said, I think Apple should focus on the sound quality of the files they sell. 256kps max is a joke. Anyone with decent speakers needs 320min and preferably lossless. Again content you buy should be available in all qualities with the option to change at any time.

OregonSasquatch
Nov 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
This is just what I wanted to hear!

Hopefully they start renting/selling movies in 1080p and selling music in Apple Lossless.

pheenix11
Nov 28, 2011, 10:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPad2,1;FBMD/iPad;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/1; FBCR/;FBID/tablet;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

I agree with pancake. I would buy a lot more movies on iTunes if I knew I could upgrade them to 1080p at a later date for a small fee. Kinda like they did with the music. It would also be sweet if these movies could be stored in the cloud like TV shows and streamed whenever. Of course Apple might need a server farm the size of Texas for that lol.

Icaras
Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
The next generation model would have to have more than 1080p support for me to upgrade. I don't have much 1080p content as it doesn't play on the current generation ATV, takes up too much hard drive space and doesn't look too much better that 720p to me.

People who buy movies/tv shows etc from iTunes should be given the option to download them in SD, 720p or 1080p and re-download them in a different quality should they feel the need.

With all that said, I think Apple should focus on the sound quality of the files they sell. 256kps max is a joke. Anyone with decent speakers needs 320min and preferably lossless. Again content you buy should be available in all qualities with the option to change at any time.

I totally agree with you on both points: On having the freedom to download your HD movie in whatever resolution flavor you'd like to the higher quality audio. Lossless would just be exquisite, but as much as I would LOVE for this to happen, I honestly don't see Apple jumping on lossless for a few years at the least. The amount of bandwidth of lossless audio + 1080p content is going to be uber massive and I just don't think thats practical with today's broadband infrastructure. There's also 7.1 to consider too, as many blu-ray TV shows and newer films feature it.

But whatever they deliver, I'm all for the higher audio bitrate!

justperry
Nov 29, 2011, 02:37 AM
As long as there is no Appstore, Local storage and little use for it outside of the states I won't be buying this.

I've got the AppleTv 1 and its much better then this one.

1goodidea
Nov 29, 2011, 05:37 AM
An AppleTV app store is what I want before upgrading from my 1st gen.

wackymacky
Nov 29, 2011, 07:14 AM
As long as there is no Appstore, Local storage and little use for it outside of the states I won't be buying this.

How useful is AppleTV at Pitcarin? What are the data costs for internet? I though it was all satcom there.

guzhogi
Nov 29, 2011, 07:34 AM

I agree with local storage. I don't want to have to keep my computer open with iTunes running just to watch my shows. iCloud might be okay, but that would still eat up a lot of people's internet caps having to stream it all. Besides, is the internet infrastructure in the US really fast enough for 1080P videos, 7.1 sound (assuming it becomes available)?

justperry
Nov 29, 2011, 08:10 AM
How useful is AppleTV at Pitcarin? What are the data costs for internet? I though it was all satcom there.

Internet: There is one Government-sponsored satellite internet connection, with networking provided to the inhabitants of the island.
Residents pay NZ$100 (about USD$75) for 2 GB of data per month, at a rate of 256 kbit/s.:D

----------

I agree with local storage. I don't want to have to keep my computer open with iTunes running just to watch my shows. iCloud might be okay, but that would still eat up a lot of people's internet caps having to stream it all. Besides, is the internet infrastructure in the US really fast enough for 1080P videos, 7.1 sound (assuming it becomes available)?

I can play 1080p with local storage or just stream it from my Laptop

eye
Nov 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yawn. No ATV app store, no upgrade for me.

Mad-B-One
Nov 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
The new Apple TV set top box would be what I am waiting for. For about $100, I would like to switch from XBOX360 to something else for Netflix & Co. This way, don't have to look for a remote having 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in the house :cool:

jmille44
Nov 29, 2011, 10:25 AM
Wait, the new AppleTV will run the new software and then older units will not. Then we all have to upgrade. Isn't that how it works?

Chris9999
Nov 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
All my media is centrally stored on my NAS. Why can't Apple TV access this directly without needing a PC or Mac running iTunes?

theSeb
Nov 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
If iTunes started selling 96 kHz/24 bit (or higher) music, I would be all over it.

theSeb
Nov 29, 2011, 11:49 AM
All my media is centrally stored on my NAS. Why can't Apple TV access this directly without needing a PC or Mac running iTunes?

Some NAS devices come with an iTunes server, but it only serves music. You cannot use it for any other media and Apple won't license this functionality to 3rd parties. :mad:

Richdmoore
Nov 29, 2011, 01:31 PM
I have a boxee box, it is an ok media player now, but was very beta at launch. I would love to replace it with a 1080p apple tv (w app store support).

At the least, official 1080p support would allow me to start to handbrake bluray videos into a computer format, until I know the specs that will work I don't want to waste my time converting into a possibly incompatible format.

damir00
Nov 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
1080p, a "real" GPU, and iOS appstore, and I'd be a buyer for sure.

No question about it.

Especially if someone sold a wireless gamepad for it. :)

notjustjay
Nov 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
Some NAS devices come with an iTunes server, but it only serves music. You cannot use it for any other media and Apple won't license this functionality to 3rd parties. :mad:

If the new Apple TV could do this, and be 1080p, it would be the perfect device. I would upgrade my existing one and buy more for every TV in the house. If Apple is so insistent on tying it into their own ecosystem then they could restrict the integration to the Time Capsule. I don't care, I'd still buy one. Then Apple gets to sell me two devices instead of just one. Everyone wins.

brianbauer04
Nov 30, 2011, 07:55 PM

If your NAS can run a simple web server, Apple TV 2 has always been able to do this. All you need to do is host your media as podcasts and subscribe to it from your ATV2:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html

The podcast file is just a simple XML file, and the above link gives you all the info you need to make it format nicely on the ATV2.

PS - ignore the part about submitting it to iTunes. You host it on your own private network and tell ATV2 where it is.

photographypro
Dec 4, 2011, 01:10 AM

True. I love that the 1st gen can now BOTH store and stream content at the same time. Yes, I wish I could do Netflix, but if I get a new BluRay player with that, then the 2 HDMI ports on my 50" plasma will be happy.

I don't want to HAVE to have my laptop on to watch a movie. My 1st gen is great for that, and I can still stream content if I don't want to sync first!

Kilamite
Dec 4, 2011, 06:24 AM
Please please please have a hard drive inside it!

Streaming is great, but I like to have all my content stored locally, available in an instant without my Mac having to be running. I have a laptop, so have all my movies and tv shows on my external hard drive. If I want to watch something on my Apple TV, I have to plug my external hard drive into my laptop - so I'm not able to watch something on my Apple TV and have my laptop in the living room at the same time. Or if my laptop broke, then my Apple TV would be useless for the time being.

I rent movies occasionally, and the streaming aspects of that are great. But for my own content, I want that stored on the Apple TV.

And if Apple does decide to put in a hard drive on the more expensive models, please let it be a SATA drive so we can easily upgrade it..

kokako
Dec 4, 2011, 02:32 PM

No question about it.

iphone = wireless gamepad for appletv

lexusford
Dec 5, 2011, 09:54 PM
Regardless, what they do with the next Apple TV. As long as they keep it at the same price point, I'll buy more. It's a addiction.

MattInOz
Dec 5, 2011, 11:36 PM

No question about it.

A full blown AppStore would be great but as a minimum it really needs an Apps channel so that at least the streaming services that are in the AppStore can get on to the AppleTV.

I'd really like to buy one but in Australia the useful is really limited, if i could get all the content I can get on the iPad, then I'd buy for sure.

Billy Boo Bob
Dec 6, 2011, 06:01 AM
iphone = wireless gamepad for appletv

If you want it as an option, but it would suck as the only option. A tactile controller is much better (don't have to keep looking at the controller to see where your fingers/thumb should be)... And if you want more than one??? Pretty expensive controllers.