PDA

View Full Version : 20-25% Discounts for Students

dabirdwell
Oct 13, 2002, 11:36 PM
Hello all,

I think I have learned something suitable to share with the community here.

Right now, any student who will pay the $99 fee to join the Apple Developer Connection will be able to make (as I understand it) one computer and one peripheral purchase at a rate that is generally 20-25% less than the Apple website. For Example:

Right now through this deal you can get an "Ultimate" Dual 1.25 with a 22" Cinema for $5238.00, which is $2260 less than the same thing would have cost you yesterday through the standard Apple site. Plus you can save the same percentage on Airport, iPod, etc. etc.

Here's how to get there:

Go to http://connect.apple.com and click on membership programs, this will open a new window.

[in the new window]

Click Student Developer.

Click Student Discounts.

Scroll down and click ADC Student Program Hardware Discount.

Click United States Hardware Purchase Program.

Click ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store.

Check it out and tell me what you think,

Dave

dabirdwell
Oct 14, 2002, 09:28 AM
I may try it soon. My student computer loan came in today.

jelloshotsrule
Oct 14, 2002, 09:33 AM
you're supposed to actually be a developer in the making though. i know i was wowed when i first heard about that... and then saw that you are supposed to be enrolled in at least one programming class and whatnot... not sure of the details, but i know there were some things that made it a less guaranteed deal for me (not a programmer).

good for those who are developers... but remember only one per lifetime...... so it may be better to juice into the edu prices now. then when you're out of school, get the real developer deal.... depends on the money situation. and most people can't say "i have more money now than i think i'll have in the future"... tough call.

dabirdwell
Oct 14, 2002, 09:58 AM
Maybe it would be a good idea to wait for the next iteration of notebooks to use this...get 25% off a widescreen iBook?

Dave

dabirdwell
Oct 14, 2002, 12:16 PM
I've been trying to post an image of the apple store with the $3639 Ultimate Dual 1.25, but can't seem to figure it out, oh well.

sprocklingcat
Oct 14, 2002, 12:36 PM
my brother purchased a 17" imac with and adc student membership and he is a film major

my good friend just bought a dual 867 from adc and he is an architecture major

no problems not being a developer

dotcomlarry
Oct 14, 2002, 01:03 PM
I think you have to be enrolled in a developer class (example, C++ Programming), but you don't necessarily have to have a developer-related major.

sprocklingcat
Oct 14, 2002, 10:07 PM
neither one is in any sort of developer related class of any sort

demonx
Oct 27, 2002, 11:26 AM
I just get the Cannot Find Server error, so maybe they don't have this program anymore.:(

RBMaraman
Oct 27, 2002, 03:22 PM
Be careful using this, especially if your not a programming major. My friend signed up and used this discount, then 2 weeks later he received a bill from Apple for the amount of the discount. It seems they do random checks, and when they discovered he wasn't a programming major, they charged him for the discount he was given.

cr2sh
Oct 27, 2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
It seems they do random checks, and when they discovered he wasn't a programming major, they charged him for the discount he was given.

I'm not sure i believe that.. seems pretty far-fetched to me. I'm not even sure how apple would "check" a guy's major... :confused: That's a little too paranoid for my tastes.

RBMaraman
Oct 27, 2002, 04:19 PM
With the coroprate scandals of today, every company checks to make sure someone isn't scamming them out of the money they think they deserve. It's better to be safe then sorry. Apple's been doing checks for years. They also do it when you use education discounts. Each school gets a list of who bought what, then they compare them to school enrollment lists. Remember, fraud is a federal offense, and Apple's just trying to protect themselves.

wdlove
Oct 27, 2002, 05:07 PM
Check it out and tell me what you think,

Dave

Thank you Dave, If I join now how long will the 20 - 25% discount last?

demonx
Oct 27, 2002, 05:13 PM
Well its not a major problem for me, Im a netowkring major and have a few programming classes ahead of me:)