PDA

View Full Version : 4' Screen on next gen iPod Touch?

fictionaldeity
Nov 29, 2011, 03:25 AM
As it has been rumoured the iPhone 5 shall come equipped with a 4' screen.
Inorder to avoid fragmentation of the iOS system it is logical to give the next ipod touch a 4' screen as well.

While the older 3.5' models such as the iPod touch 4th gen and iPhone 4s will still receive two major software updates and then be left in the dark

since the iPod touch's screen has mimicked both the size and resolution of the iPhone for multiple generations (see retina display), i fail to see why it wouldn't in the next update.

A larger screen would allow for more area for internals such as an expanded battery to power an upgraded processor (since the ipod touch has a thinner form factor it also has less room for a larger battery. Expanded battery capacity will open the doors for an A5 processor in the iPod Touch). Likewise the iPhone 5 will receive a larger battery to power its upgraded A6 processor.

as of 29th of November 2011 this is just an educated guess

Thoughts/Rebuttals/Questions?

TheSuperSteve
Nov 29, 2011, 04:16 AM
Sorry, but i'm just gonna voice some of my opinions:

My only issue with the whole 4 inch screen craze is how apps will look like on the new screen. Will Apple stretch it to fit, making the retina display not look as good? Will developers have to make versions of their apps that support the new screen, making us suffer through a transition period like we did when we got the retina display? Try playing Fruit Ninja on a Samsung Galaxy S2. It looks like bull excrement. All streched out and blurry. I dont want that for the next iPhone at all.

I mean, if Apple can make a solution to this that is good and logical, then bring on the 4 inch screens. Otherwise, i wouldn't really miss a 4 inch screen. Playing with a Samsung Galaxy S2 made me realize that while the screen is huge and beautiful, its still Android underneath it. So for me, the 4.5 inch screen on the SGS2 does not make the phone any better, the software does. At least for me.

But then at the same time, i cant imagine any logical way to improve the next iPhone other than give it LTE and a bigger screen. So it might be inevitable. I just hope the integration is swift and elegant. Seeing how iOS 5 is doing so far... i doubt it.

I got an iPhone 4S so i'll be getting the "S" version of the next iPhone on 2013 which is good thing. I'll get the bugs free version with battery issues. :p

And yes, if they don't discontinue the iPod touch, it will have a 4 inch screen if the iPhone also has it. The current iPod touch needs a refresh badly. My 4th gen is slow and crashy on iOS 5.

Thetonyk123
Nov 29, 2011, 06:57 AM
My 4th gen is slow and crashy on iOS 5.

Maybe clear the apps from the multitasking bar

BrunoWill
Nov 30, 2011, 12:09 AM
Actually it shows that the next iPhone will be 4 inch from ios 5.1.

Mlrollin91
Nov 30, 2011, 12:59 AM

I'm sorry... What?

I would love to see that considering what MacRumors posted was stating there has been merely speculation the next iPhone will carry a 4" screen. Nothing in code states that, nor do I think that is even possible.

hodaka
Nov 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
As it has been rumoured the iPhone 5 shall come equipped with a 4' screen.
Inorder to avoid fragmentation of the iOS system it is logical to give the next ipod touch a 4' screen as well.

WOW! That would be incredible. But . . .
how do they expect us to fit a 4' screen in our pocket? I mean, that's 4 feet! Forty-eight inches! (48")

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_(unit))

Chi-mex
Nov 30, 2011, 03:22 PM
WOW! That would be incredible. But . . .
how do they expect us to fit a 4' screen in our pocket? I mean, that's 4 feet! Forty-eight inches! (48")

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_(unit))

Come on man we knew what person meant.

jinxednuance
Dec 1, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'll be the first to venture and buy an iPod Touch if 4 inch would be available. I'm a BlackBerry fan so this would be a perfect size-reading device for me.

Thetonyk123
Dec 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
I'll be the first to venture and buy an iPod Touch if 4 inch would be available. I'm a BlackBerry fan so this would be a perfect size-reading device for me.

I plan on using my current iPod touch 4, for another 2 years...... if it survives.

Siq®
Dec 1, 2011, 11:55 AM
Admiting it as just a wild guess, when do you think this new version Ipod Touch could be released?
I was thinking of buying the Ipod Touch 4G in January but I'm now not sure if I should wait until the next gen...

WLS
Dec 1, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiting it as just a wild guess, when do you think this new version Ipod Touch could be released?
I was thinking of buying the Ipod Touch 4G in January but I'm now not sure if I should wait until the next gen...
We just don't know but it is more likely to come next September than in Jan. The Touch always has followed after the new iPhone and that probably won't be out until July. Buy what you need and be willing to upgrade later. I got a refurbed Touch and will be in the market for the new one come the 2012 Black Friday sale. There were some nice discounts this year's BF sale so that was the time to get one.

Thetonyk123
Dec 1, 2011, 01:42 PM

Amazon currently has the best prices on iPods, thats where I got my iPod touch last year for only $270! (32gb [supposed to be $300])

Chi-mex
Dec 1, 2011, 02:17 PM

I want to say it is not until Sept when it comes out. Mainly because i waited since July to see if a new one would come out in Oct. But they did not so i went ahead and bought a white 4th gen. Also because there have not been any leaked designs or rumors about a A5 chip in it, or a new design, or anything. Also, from a marketing stand point they would make more money releasing it before Christmas than after.
But, Hey, it is Apple, they can do what ever they want and almost all the time it turns out well.

Michael383
Dec 2, 2011, 01:04 AM
Since they had such a minor change to the 4th gen iPod touch in 2011 I'm hoping Apple gives the iPod touch a major refresh in 2012. I wouldn't mind a 4" screen.

MythicFrost
Dec 2, 2011, 03:01 AM
Since they had such a minor change to the 4th gen iPod touch in 2011 I'm hoping Apple gives the iPod touch a major refresh in 2012. I wouldn't mind a 4" screen.
They didn't change it at all, aside from being available in white. I agree, I hope they do a major refresh. I think the thinness of the iPod touch is quite limiting with the A5, considering Infinity Blade 2 sets my 4S on fire even after 20 minutes of playing.

I think a design with a four inch screen and a thickness in line with that of the iPhone, coupled with the A6 which for the iPod touch could have a dual core Cortex A15 1GHz processor, an SGX543MP2 (or newer), and 512MB LPDDR2 RAM. That'd be a nice device!

IUSman775
Dec 3, 2011, 08:37 AM
I was wondering when the iPod 5th generation would be realeased and is the 4''
sceen one!

danahn17
Dec 3, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm beginning to think these 4' iPhone /iPod Touch threads are the new PowerBook G5 threads :p

But going back to topic, I hadn't really thought about the implications a 4" iPhone would have on the iPod line. I suppose the logical thing would be to release a 4" iPod line at the same time. But I'm not sure since the current iPod Touch has a different design than the current iPhone and I'd assume Apple would want to keep different designs for both products? It would also mean that Apple would have to produce a lot of 4" screens to satisfy the demands from both the iPod and iPhone.

I wonder if its possible to scale the Retina display to fit a 4" screen at a 300dpi resolution. Then Apple wouldn't have to worry about fragmenting. Why 300 dpi? That's typically the resolution of print and is the resolution most digital photographers print at. I'm sure others may disagree but I'm not 100% convinced the Retina display offers much more significant details anyways. There's a law of diminishing returns with resolution, especially at small dimensions like an iPhone screen.

But i suppose the lower-res / bigger screen is just a temporary fix and would probably hurt Apple's ability to market the product. If, in the future, Apple decides to make 4"+ screens (be it for another phones or another iPad), this approach would just hurt them in the long term. I know currently making another iPad or a 4"+ iPhone seems unlikely or impossible but it's hard to imagine what the future would be like. I mean when the first iPhone came out, who'd have thought that in a few years, some of the hottest (non-Apple) phones would have 4"+ screens?

It'll be interesting to see what apple does in the future :)

Tech Elementz
Dec 3, 2011, 06:42 PM

I'm sorry... What?

I would love to see that considering what MacRumors posted was stating there has been merely speculation the next iPhone will carry a 4" screen. Nothing in code states that, nor do I think that is even possible.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396968,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396961,00.asp

It's simply rumors. In iOS 5.1, the code only tells us the new revamped models, which tells us that there must be a 4 inch screen. ]Unless that codename for the revamped iPhone and iPad are minor - difference between 2,1 to 2,2 than 2,1 to 3,1]

Firestar
Dec 3, 2011, 06:54 PM
Didn't people hope for this on the release of the 4th gen?

I doubt it's going to happen. It's .5 inches.

BrunoWill
Dec 5, 2011, 02:48 AM
Didn't people hope for this on the release of the 4th gen?

I doubt it's going to happen. It's .5 inches.

That's could be named mini pad.

Mlrollin91
Dec 5, 2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396968,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396961,00.asp

It's simply rumors. In iOS 5.1, the code only tells us the new revamped models, which tells us that there must be a 4 inch screen. ]Unless that codename for the revamped iPhone and iPad are minor - difference between 2,1 to 2,2 than 2,1 to 3,1]

Model numbers mean nothing about screen size. There could easily be an entire refresh on the way, but that doesn't mean it will include a larger screen. 3GS->4, 2,1->3,1; production model number changed.

iEvolution
Dec 5, 2011, 06:19 PM
Well with the samsung galaxy player coming with a minimum of 4" (up to 5") and smart phones coming with 4" screens its not too unthinkable that the iPod Touch wouldn't come with one.

WLS
Dec 6, 2011, 07:57 AM
That's could be named mini pad.
no it won't be named that! It could be called the Phat Touch though. :p

sracer
Dec 6, 2011, 08:29 AM
Well with the samsung galaxy player coming with a minimum of 4" (up to 5") and smart phones coming with 4" screens its not too unthinkable that the iPod Touch wouldn't come with one.
I have seen nothing (rumors or otherwise) to sway me from my belief that the iPod Touch 4G will be the last model. While everyone else was speculating about a new 5G model being released this Fall, I pointed to the signs that made it clear that there wouldn't be a new model.

I know that this isn't a popular viewpoint. I would've rather had a new 5G Touch with (iPhone 4-quality camera) and been proven wrong. I get no enjoyment in having my prediction turn out to be true. :(

super michael
Dec 6, 2011, 08:46 AM
I wasn't aware that there was a Samsung galaxy Player, this is good, this will give Apple competition. This way we might see improvement in the Ipod touch lines.

The only reason there was no upgrade this year is because the ipod touch has no competition.

Its like the internet in my country, it cost expensive since there is only 1 company in my country.

The more competition the better.