PDA

View Full Version : RIM Branches Out with Enterprise Management Tools for iOS and Android Devices

MacRumors
Nov 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/29/rim-branches-out-with-enterprise-management-tools-for-ios-and-android-devices/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/research_in_motion_logo-150x45.jpg

Research in Motion (RIM), seeking to stabilize its enterprise business amid continued challenges from iOS and Android, today announced (http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=5285) a new package of enterprise tools known as Mobile Fusion designed to support a broad range of devices at the corporate level."We are pleased to introduce BlackBerry Mobile Fusion - RIM's next generation enterprise mobility solution - to make it easier for our business and government customers to manage the diversity of devices in their operations today," said Alan Panezic, Vice President, Enterprise Product Management and Marketing at Research In Motion. "BlackBerry Mobile Fusion brings together our industry-leading BlackBerry Enterprise Server technology for BlackBerry devices with mobile device management capabilities for iOS and Android devices, all managed from one web-based console. It provides the necessary management capabilities to allow IT departments to confidently oversee the use of both company-owned and employee-owned mobile devices within their organizations."Mobile Fusion will provide corporate customers with an array of device management tools, including centralized remote locking and/or wiping of lost devices and enforcement of password requirements.

Apple offers a number of enterprise tools and capabilities (http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/integration/) for iOS to help companies manage their device deployments, but cross-platform device management services such as RIM's Mobile Fusion target increasingly diverse mobile deployments as companies offer their employees new levels of flexibility in choosing their mobile platforms.

RIM has long been a leader in business mobile platforms, but has been losing ground to iOS and Android as those platforms have caught on with both consumers and enterprise customers. With Apple also gaining traction in enterprise markets with the iPad, RIM has tried to respond with new devices including its PlayBook tablet device, but has so far been unable to slow the momentum of iOS and Android. The company's new Mobile Fusion tools, which are in early beta testing now and scheduled for public launch in March, demonstrate that diversification in enterprise and highlight RIM's efforts to hold on to its relevancy in its key markets.

Article Link: RIM Branches Out with Enterprise Management Tools for iOS and Android Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/29/rim-branches-out-with-enterprise-management-tools-for-ios-and-android-devices/)

kylebshr
Nov 29, 2011, 09:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think they'll be dead within 4 years

Skika
Nov 29, 2011, 09:20 AM
RIM should focus heavily on corporate services.

Only way i see them survive.

*LTD*
Nov 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Probably buyout bait before then.

Jbrumz85
Nov 29, 2011, 09:36 AM

I give them 2yrs lol

Unggoy Murderer
Nov 29, 2011, 09:37 AM

I honestly don't see RIM going bust, but their market share will continue to shrink until it barely registers and nobody notices. However, if they get their finger out and do something truly awesome for corporate users, then I see them remaining where they are.

They're never going to get bigger, it's too late for that. iOS, Andriod and even Windows Phone Seven, have overtaken them.

ugahairydawgs
Nov 29, 2011, 09:42 AM
Probably gives you a hint about how they feel internally about the long term viability of their hardware business.

BlueHedgehog
Nov 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
Now they just need to release BBM for iOS and Android (so that it becomes cross-platform), even though I wouldn't use or wait for that.

And no, RIM shouldn't worry about doing that (their market share is shrinking anyway)

eNcrypTioN
Nov 29, 2011, 10:54 AM

What's RIM? Lol

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 29, 2011, 11:05 AM
I give them 2yrs lol

Don't forget people were saying the same thing as Apple was working on the first iPod.

But yeah, they're going to need a miraculously good and popular product here soon or they're screwed.

nagromme
Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
So I assume this lets you remotely wipe a BlackBerry from an iPhone... but can you use it to remotely wipe an iPhone from an iPhone? How much does it really help "manage the diversity of devices”?

Hastings101
Nov 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
If the Android or Windows Phone 7 manufacturers brought out some phones with decent hard keyboards (none of that sideways slide out crap or bizarre key spacings) I'm pretty sure Blackberry would lose the users it has left.

*LTD*
Nov 29, 2011, 12:20 PM
Don't forget people were saying the same thing as Apple was working on the first iPod.

Apple had Steve Jobs.

RIM has two turkeys that saw the avalanche coming four years ago but went on clucking. All they actually did was deny, deny, deny, and verbally downplay Apple's direction as best they could. Are these two to be trusted at all?

Somehow they'll just "grow" vision miraculously years later? I'm afraid we've seen the best Ballsilie and Laziridis can do already. And there doesn't seem to be a Steve Jobs-type visionary in sight to help them.

bigjnyc
Nov 29, 2011, 12:34 PM
This is a good move, I can't see RIM creating any device or OS that will slow down iOS or Android..... By starting to move in the direction of licensing out their enterprise infrastructure and possibly BBM, they will be prepared to still make money when their market share shrinks to a level where they cant make a profit.

dBeats
Nov 29, 2011, 01:19 PM
Next step is they split the hardware and software divisions, calling them Blackberry Source and Blackberry One. We all know what happens next....

morespce54
Nov 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
I give them 2yrs lol

They'll most likely still be there in four years, unless they screw up big time with their servers and security. Don't forget that RIM's market is (still) mainly big businesses like banks and law firms. The IT people from these businesses are usually quite slow in changing everything upside down (unless there is a security issue, of course).

If the Android or Windows Phone 7 manufacturers brought out some phones with decent hard keyboards (none of that sideways slide out crap or bizarre key spacings) I'm pretty sure Blackberry would lose the users it has left.

Well that's the thing. RIM tried to get a grasp of the non-business market and they probably failed at that because there got late in the game (iOS, Android and even Win7 were already far away).

A few years ago, people used to bring their BB home to work and to get access to their emails. Now, people want to bring their personal phone at work to work and to get access to their emails. Apple figured that out a long time ago.

notjustjay
Nov 29, 2011, 01:47 PM
I give them 2yrs lol

I really should just stop reading any RIM-related articles here. This sort of "Apple rocks, everyone else must die" attitude makes me sick. Do you think that the engineers that work at Apple are just naturally smarter or hard-working as those elsewhere? Do you really wish layoffs on thousands of people?

I know a bunch of guys who work at RIM and QNX, they are hard working, passionate people. When my job was threatened by layoffs at my company, I was reassured by the fact that RIM and QNX were hiring. A lot of my ex-coworkers ended up over there. They have families to feed and mortgages to pay off, just like everyone else.

I guess the best hope for my friends and the rest of the employees at RIM is that upper management will figure it out and put the company on track for some successes. I feel like they need it after some of the recent bad press.

A few years ago, people used to bring their BB home to work and to get access to their emails. Now, people want to bring their personal phone at work to work and to get access to their emails. Apple figured that out a long time ago.

Apple "figured that out" by being the one to make it happen. Before Apple, smartphones like Blackberries, Nokia N95, Palm Treo, etc. were for business people and power users only. Your average mom or teenager had no use for one.

You might say the two companies went at it from opposite approaches. Smartphones for consumers (with limited penetration into enterprise markets) and vice versa. The race is on to see which will reach the other side quicker.

justinfreid
Nov 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
Probably gives you a hint about how they feel internally about the long term viability of their hardware business.

I hope so, it'd mean they're seeing things clearly.

They need an overhaul of their hardware and software philosophies to compete going forward.

morespce54
Nov 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
...Apple "figured that out" by being the one to make it happen.

That's what I meant, basically.

You might say the two companies went at it from opposite approaches. Smartphones for consumers (with limited penetration into enterprise markets) and vice versa. The race is on to see which will reach the other side quicker.

Yep but it seems (so far) that the smartphone market was easier to get for Apple than for RIM. Maybe it's because "your average mom and teenager" thought that BB was essentially for business use. RIM did (and still do) a great job in the enterprise market.

hchung
Nov 29, 2011, 02:40 PM
I really should just stop reading any RIM-related articles here. This sort of "Apple rocks, everyone else must die" attitude makes me sick. Do you think that the engineers that work at Apple are just naturally smarter or hard-working as those elsewhere? Do you really wish layoffs on thousands of people?

I know a bunch of guys who work at RIM and QNX, they are hard working, passionate people. When my job was threatened by layoffs at my company, I was reassured by the fact that RIM and QNX were hiring. A lot of my ex-coworkers ended up over there. They have families to feed and mortgages to pay off, just like everyone else.

I guess the best hope for my friends and the rest of the employees at RIM is that upper management will figure it out and put the company on track for some successes. I feel like they need it after some of the recent bad press.

Apple "figured that out" by being the one to make it happen. Before Apple, smartphones like Blackberries, Nokia N95, Palm Treo, etc. were for business people and power users only. Your average mom or teenager had no use for one.

Yes, there's some people here who will always be cheering for Apple and deriding other companies. But there's many of us who are simply being realistic.

The real problem is that RIM has very little chance of survival. As much as I'd like to see them turn around (mostly because QNX is freakin' awesome), I have little confidence that they will figure out a new plan before going out of business.

Apple was once the beleaguered company. Except during their turnaround, they had a few things they could rely on that together helped them stay afloat:
1) entrenched markets that were not being met well by competitors : film, computer graphics, audio
2) die-hard fanbase
3) willingness to make hard decisions; willingness to cut products that didn't help the recovery; willingness to focus
4) willingness to try to branch out and try new things; willingness to try new markets; internal research groups doing actual research
5) a consumer market to market to (amongst the other markets)

RIM doesn't have nearly the same resources to utilize in order to turn themselves around.

The release of tools that involve the use of iOS and Android is an example of trying something different. But this doesn't stem the bleeding of customers, nor does it easily translate to a reliable income stream. (remind you of Sun and Java?)

They have a fanbase. But unfortunately, it's shrinking.

They don't do general consumer devices, which would be the bigger market. Just business-oriented devices. But iOS and Android is eating away at them there. Even then, HP/Palm and MS shows how difficult going for the general consumer is.

Unless they feel like going an all-in on a completely new product category that just blows everybody out of the water, I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone in 3 years.

(and yes, I used to own a blackberry too)

Consultant
Nov 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
...Smartphones for consumers (with limited penetration into enterprise markets) and vice versa. The race is on to see which will reach the other side quicker.

In reality, iPhone won both the consumer and enterprise market.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 29, 2011, 04:07 PM
No surprised by them bring this out. Something like 50% of there revenue came off the enterprise tools.

Supa_Fly
Nov 29, 2011, 06:04 PM
Apple had Steve Jobs.

RIM has two turkeys that saw the avalanche coming four years ago but went on clucking. All they actually did was deny, deny, deny, and verbally downplay Apple's direction as best they could. Are these two to be trusted at all?

Somehow they'll just "grow" vision miraculously years later? I'm afraid we've seen the best Ballsilie and Laziridis can do already. And there doesn't seem to be a Steve Jobs-type visionary in sight to help them.

There is a LOT of criticism over RIM and its only recent (1.5yrs) due to dwindling consumer marketshare.

Some key points:

1. It took Apple and Android to finally surpass Nokia in shipments of OS (S60 vs the rest) roughly 3yrs!!

2. RIM has 40billion in cash, although their credit rating is taking quarter drops (3qtrs long now).

3. RIM, one of the co-founders, pioneered the data compression - although the NOC was a patent loosing battle against NTP (Good Technologies as well, took Motorola 2yrs after to drop Good Inc). This and as well as many other firsts have RIM's patent a sweet pool for takeovers!!

Irregardless of how we all feel about RIM's consumer/corporate hardware devices ... their implementation is still the majority in worldwide corporate user base (I'm talking OVER 2000 employees for a corp worldwide).

keyboard shortcuts STILL beat endless scrolling (we still use it for faster navigation and executing on PC/Macs/Linux/Unix computers)! But I love my iOS device.

I still don't think RIM will offer anything significant with Fusion:
- it'll be offered as an additional price to an already expensive BES solution
- MVS is still an expensive implementation for corporate voip pbx deployments to BB's. iPhone & Droid's are FREE to implement.

- there is NOTHING that Trellia, MobileIron, Good, or the others can't do that Fusion will be able to do ... except PlayBook management. Right now any CIO that has their wits and their balls should NEVER touch that thing (not until ANdroid gets ported).

RLesko
Nov 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
Honestly I believe the lack of consumer development/poor marketing of the "Blackberry World" led to their foreseeable demise. There is nothing wrong with the OS, and I loved having a keyboard, but when 9/10 apps are for android/iOS only and a crappy web-app for those without really is a turn off. Their hardware is not poor either, but when I see an iPhone/Apple App store with endless game, productivity, and social apps versus a blackberry/blackberry world that barely can get a facebook app to work properly, the decision is clear.

SandynJosh
Nov 30, 2011, 02:28 AM
RIM will survive. HP's about ready to buy something again. The two-headed clown that run's rim currently however doesn't have a chance.

kyjaotkb
Nov 30, 2011, 06:51 AM

According to Nielsen, they're still the #2 smartphone manufacturer in the US with BB OS having almost 3x the market share of Win Phone 7.

Bluefusion
Nov 30, 2011, 09:55 AM
Well, good luck with that, RIM.

It astounds me that a company run so badly for so many years, producing third-rate sequels to third-rate products everyone stopped caring about four years ago, is still around.

RIM's failure would be good for everyone. Get corporate drones to get their heads out of their asses, and move the money towards innovative and modern solutions. (I remember powering on a girlfriend's Blackberry once-- "why does it take 10 minutes to start up? Isn't it supposed to be a phone, not a Windows ME laptop?")

----------

According to Nielsen, they're still the #2 smartphone manufacturer in the US with BB OS having almost 3x the market share of Win Phone 7.

Windows Phone 7 also has had terrible luck, terrible marketing, a bad product strategy, and is relatively new.
I'll bet you a good 80% of those BB devices were bought for people by their company. People are not choosing them.

RLesko
Nov 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
I remember powering on a girlfriend's Blackberry once-- "why does it take 10 minutes to start up?

You should consider that fast. Mine took upwards of 25 minutes to boot near the end of its life cycle. It truly is astonishing how RIM could knowingly release a product with such a glaring short coming in this area. But as for everything else, I actually enjoyed the blackberry phones and OS.

itsamacthing
Dec 1, 2011, 01:20 AM
RIM is going to get bought by google for their patents, google will then look for ways to envelope their tech into The Googleverse.

As far as people carrying around a BB... it's not going away tomorrow but they clearly have no vision. There are people who are addicted to the BB, people who won't leave an actual keyboard, and their international market in places like Indonesia, Thailand, and India is growing. People love BBM there as it's a cheap replacement for the SMS they have had to pay for for 20 years. Come to Asia and you will see flocks of girls with BBs hanging around their necks from necklaces with bling all over it. The BB is a big thing out here... and it just got here a few years ago. iMessage is awesome, but the rollout is terrible and people are confused on how to sign up and use it. BBM on the other hand is simple and PIN based. Apple really needs to work on how iMessage works and goes viral.

The QNX based handsets on the horizon look abysmal and RIM is seriously like Detroit in the sense that they can't seem to design a decent handset. With Asia and Europe running circles around them design wise.

The talent left the RIM boat over the last year or so and that doesn't help. They seem to be a slow boat toward a new reality... their market in the US, EU will never be the same... they have a future in 3rd world markets where they can push backed on BBM...but they will never dominate again. Clearly those two guys who were running that company were very closed minded and egotistical. Not visionary and open minded like SJ. Maybe they should have taken LSD and study medication in India like the MAN!

I am a MacHead and still carry a BB 9700 because the iPhone was a disappointment. The email always has to download, which takes a moment, the contacts seem to be constantly syncing... and that slows me down. The BB handles changes quick and effectively. I had iPhone 1, 3G, skipped 3GS and 4... I will have my 4S in a few days and I really hope that it does what I hope it can do...so I can finally, after 15 years, get away from the BB and go 100% Apple

Just my two cents

J hit&runner
Dec 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
RIM should focus heavily on corporate services.

Only way i see them survive.

But still most f500 companies have already deployed iPhones... Even if they bank heavily on that, it's not a long term game changer

I dun see anyway which they can survive... Unless they offer the phones for free, and have corporations pay a annual charge for their services...

Even then, it's hard to say that companies will chosen RIM over apple and google, since theyremworking really hard too to bite into this market

MarkCollette
Dec 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
RIM needs to split their products into one that worries about backwards compatibility and the truly horrid user interface mechanisms they rely on, and a second product line that's completely unencumbered by all that, has the touch screen and the slide out keyboard. Market the first to all the legacy corporate customers, and the second to consumers. Get BBM and all the corporate software running on the consumer device though, and have two pincers that meet in the middle.

I'm a software developer, but when I try to use a BlackBerry device, I'm mostly lost. Endless context menus are exactly what you should not use from a HCI perspective. And the key apps like google maps don't seem to work right or at all. Even on the useless small screen. I think it's mostly a software problem, that they could fix if they learned HCI 101, and threw out backwards compatibility.

Supa_Fly
Dec 4, 2011, 08:55 PM
RIM is going to get bought by google for their patents, google will then look for ways to envelope their tech into The Googleverse.

As far as people carrying around a BB... it's not going away tomorrow but they clearly have no vision. There are people who are addicted to the BB, people who won't leave an actual keyboard, and their international market in places like Indonesia, Thailand, and India is growing. People love BBM there as it's a cheap replacement for the SMS they have had to pay for for 20 years. Come to Asia and you will see flocks of girls with BBs hanging around their necks from necklaces with bling all over it. The BB is a big thing out here... and it just got here a few years ago. iMessage is awesome, but the rollout is terrible and people are confused on how to sign up and use it. BBM on the other hand is simple and PIN based. Apple really needs to work on how iMessage works and goes viral.

The QNX based handsets on the horizon look abysmal and RIM is seriously like Detroit in the sense that they can't seem to design a decent handset. With Asia and Europe running circles around them design wise.

The talent left the RIM boat over the last year or so and that doesn't help. They seem to be a slow boat toward a new reality... their market in the US, EU will never be the same... they have a future in 3rd world markets where they can push backed on BBM...but they will never dominate again. Clearly those two guys who were running that company were very closed minded and egotistical. Not visionary and open minded like SJ. Maybe they should have taken LSD and study medication in India like the MAN!

I am a MacHead and still carry a BB 9700 because the iPhone was a disappointment. The email always has to download, which takes a moment, the contacts seem to be constantly syncing... and that slows me down. The BB handles changes quick and effectively. I had iPhone 1, 3G, skipped 3GS and 4... I will have my 4S in a few days and I really hope that it does what I hope it can do...so I can finally, after 15 years, get away from the BB and go 100% Apple

Just my two cents

First bit of advice on iPhone or iOS.
USE Exchange Settings for your email (Gmail/Hotmail/Exchange Server all support ActiveSync or compatible settings and their immediate. I actually receive, read and file over 300 emails a day and I receive them on my iP4/IP4S seconds or up to 1min before my BB. Guess whats going? BB< Too many benefits on a real smartphone OS (iOS/Android) to count to compare where RIM has fallen.