Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLastNinja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
I'm deciding to upgrade my RAM, 256mb is just not enough and I can't afford a new machine yet. My eMac has a PowerPC 1.42GHz G4 processor.

The problem I'm facing is that I'm not sure if I can just use 1x 1GB RAM. I was planning on buying this 1GB stick from PNY

I used the Crucial System Scanner to find out what I needed. The scan returned this:
Your eMac (1.42GHz) System Specs

Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 1GB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

However, I've read reviews where people stated that they upgraded their eMac 1.42GHz to 2x 1GB for a total of 2GB. Plus this site also says that the 1GB stick is compatible with my eMac. But then at the same time, the site says that the G4 eMac 1.42GHz can support only 1GB max using 256mb or 512mb, but then you scroll down and they confirmed it themselves that you can have 2GB max at 1GB per slot.

The system scanner on the other hand, says you can only have a max of 512mb per slot and a 1GB max? Apple's support page also states this. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP44 [I have a Combo Drive, if it's important.]

I've also read the Buying RAM guide from this site, which states my eMac can handle 2GB max. It also says my eMac should have USB2.0, but System Profiler tells me I have 3x AppleUSBOCHI USB buses and 1 AppleUSBEHCI high-speed USB bus, but there's only 3 slots on my machine, and I'm pretty sure OCHI is USB 1.1. So, I'm confused as to what I really have and what I can use. SP also says my 256mb stick speed is PC3200 instead of PC2700.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
The 1.25 GHz & 1.42 GHz eMacs can unofficially take up to 2 GB of RAM, they take PC2700 RAM, the module you've linked in your post will work with your eMac. You can stick two 1 GB sticks in there and it'll work. The 1.42 GHz, 1.25 GHz & 1 GHz education models have USB 2.0 as well. I highly recommend upgrading to 2 GB if I were you, my 1ghz eMac has 512mb and it runs leopard, it's a bit sluggish, I'm upgrading mine to 1gb. When you upgarde the Mac, I would install Leopard, it'll run great on a 1.42ghz, 2gb machine.Hope this helps! :)

TheLastNinja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply!

Think I'm just gonna use 1GB for now.

As for USB2.0, I'm guessing that means I don't have an education model? :(

I was actually planning on upgrading to Leopard as well! But then, I came across the $129+ price tag. I thought it would have been cheap by now given that Snow Leopard is merely $29. :rolleyes:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Thanks for the quick reply!

Think I'm just gonna use 1GB for now.

As for USB2.0, I'm guessing that means I don't have an education model? :(

I was actually planning on upgrading to Leopard as well! But then, I came across the $129+ price tag. I thought it would have been cheap by now given that Snow Leopard is merely $29. :rolleyes:

Yeah.. Leopard is a ridiculous price, I bought my eMac and PowerBook with Leopard pre-installed, so I've never bought a copy of Leopard and never will! :D ...And you don't have the education model, there was a 1.25ghz eMac under clocked to 1ghz that was only sold to the education market, the 1.25ghz & 1.42ghz that were sold to the public have USB 2.0. You have the 1.42ghz which was the latest revision of the eMac which was sold to the public. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.