PDA

View Full Version : battery draining when lid closed

Snoopy007
Nov 29, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hi,
i5, 256GB SSD, Air latest-model, Lion 10.7.2
whenver i close the lid and the Air sitsa few days battery is complete empty, any hints?
...this seems to happen all the times, even not sure if i have same when i shutdown the system...

a)any hints, as this really sucks...?
b)and way to change behaviour when lid is closed, would prefer to have shutdown done?

tried the SMC-reset, not sure if it does sthg and has changed....

beside that i love the system extreme, but for a laptop this is really freaking me out...

thanks in adv for any hints,
Juergen

Internaut
Nov 29, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hi,
i5, 256GB SSD, Air latest-model, Lion 10.7.2
whenver i close the lid and the Air sitsa few days battery is complete empty, any hints?
...this seems to happen all the times, even not sure if i have same when i shutdown the system...

a)any hints, as this really sucks...?
b)and way to change behaviour when lid is closed, would prefer to have shutdown done?

tried the SMC-reset, not sure if it does sthg and has changed....

beside that i love the system extreme, but for a laptop this is really freaking me out...

thanks in adv for any hints,
Juergen

Does it do this if you shut the laptop down properly?

Snoopy007
Nov 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
Does it do this if you shut the laptop down properly?

not sure, i need to check....

i am 100% sure it does this when the lid is normally closed....happened now 7times and freaks me out....
as last user was my girlfriend i was not sure about today....even as i told her to do for now (till fixed) a shudwon manually before closing the lid...

paulrbeers
Nov 29, 2011, 12:08 PM
Sounds like something is running in the background keeping your MBA from going to complete hibernation....

Consultant
Nov 29, 2011, 12:17 PM
Have you tried this?

After closing lid, wait until sleep light comes up before moving it.

Internaut
Nov 29, 2011, 12:17 PM
Sounds like something is running in the background keeping your MBA from going to complete hibernation....

Either that are the MacBook doesn't know that the lid has been shut (i.e. fault with a sensor, perhaps).

Snoopy007
Nov 29, 2011, 02:33 PM
Have you tried this?

thanks for your response:
confused, which sleep-light, little bit unfortunate that there is no hdd(SSD)light or i missed sthg?

----------

Either that are the MacBook doesn't know that the lid has been shut (i.e. fault with a sensor, perhaps).

i would think to exclude this as a root-cause as the Air direct shuts down screen, would assume sensor ect works...

here my latest finding: i think the Air is supposed to go after one hour lid closed into deep-sleep, before i read and found for sthtg like one hour in some sleep...

after 2 hours i openend the lid and a space-button woke the system up direct...
that would tell me no deep-sleep at all and that woudl explains that after some days the battery is empty?

any ideas?

Snoopy007
Nov 29, 2011, 02:56 PM
this is output; does that look normal on a new AIR?
..., seems what i read with googles help:
Last login: Tue Nov 29 21:37:34 on console
Juergens-MacBook-Air:~ Juergen$ pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power 1*
AC Power 2
Currently in use:
standbydelay 4200
standby 1
halfdim 1
panicrestart 157680000
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
disksleep 10
sleep 10
hibernatemode 3
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 2
acwake 0
lidwake 1

schatzair
Nov 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
Juergen, I had the exact same problem. Fully charged, logged off, closed lid and after 4 days the battery was empty. This was out-of-the box.
I waited for OS 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 with no change.

Finally, I took the MBA to the Apple store where a faulty motherboard and SD-card slot were diagnosed. It was all fixed and after a week I got the MBA back. Now it works as it should. I have an MBA 13', i7, 256GB.

Snoopy007
Nov 29, 2011, 04:31 PM
Juergen, I had the exact same problem. Fully charged, logged off, closed lid and after 4 days the battery was empty. This was out-of-the box.
I waited for OS 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 with no change.

Finally, I took the MBA to the Apple store where a faulty motherboard and SD-card slot were diagnosed. It was all fixed and after a week I got the MBA back. Now it works as it should. I have an MBA 13', i7, 256MB.

ouch, that would be bad, got my AIR in US, but back in Germany now..not sure if there is another trip and got mine from Amazon.com...
have they told you how they found out? and indicators?....i have emailed Apple-support one week ago...seems a black-hole...no response...

i still have hope - but that would be bad solution....

thinking about it, i could try to check in worst-case with a win7-install and hw-issue should have same affect in Win7...

schatzair
Nov 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
Well, at first I also called the Apple help line as I was still in the 90 days warranty time. After a 30 minute wait they would have me do some checks that I had already done. They could not find anything wrong, the battery health seemed okay, which in fact it was.
I then tried a fresh re-install but no still no change. That's when I decided to take it to the Apple store. At the Genius bar they ran a diagnosis software which took about 10 minutes to run. I could watch while the mobo and SD-card slot icons showed up with an x over it. All other components were fine.

I think you should take it to the Apple store and have it tested. My guess is they will repair it no matter where it was purchased, the guarantee is worldwide I think. Give it a try. Good luck.

Internaut
Nov 30, 2011, 02:02 AM
If you buy AppleCare and activate it some time before you want to get the MacBook repaired, I would think you should be able to take it into any Apple Store in Germany. Only snag is, I suspect you will need to source the AppleCare from the US.

tonfisk
Nov 30, 2011, 03:44 AM
I have exactly the same problem. I notice that my mba 11'' never goes into deep sleep. Although I read somewhere on Apple site that after one hour normal sleep one will need to wake up the computer by pressing any button, mine wakes up whenever I open the lid, no matter how long it has been closed. I lose about 12% battery after one night sleep.

I brought the computer to the local apple store, but they didn't find any hardware issue after running a test. So I took it back, freshly installed the system. Before migrating data and software from a previous TimeMachine backup, I realized that the computer loses 5% battery after 24 hour sleep ~ which seems to be normal. Then I did the migration ... surprise! Now the computer loses again 15% power after one day sleep. I think it might be some software issue.

Could someone tell me how to see the ActivityMonitor CPU log? I want to know what is up and running during the sleep. Otherwise I will have to try to reinstall and observe one by one.

Thanks in advance.

GekkePrutser
Nov 30, 2011, 05:25 AM
A running VMWare Fusion VM (or the equivalent for Parallels) is known to keep the laptop from entering deep sleep. So if you use VMWare that may be the problem, you'd have to suspend your VMs before sleeping the laptop.

matrix07
Nov 30, 2011, 05:43 AM
I have exactly the same problem. I notice that my mba 11'' never goes into deep sleep. Although I read somewhere on Apple site that after one hour normal sleep one will need to wake up the computer by pressing any button, mine wakes up whenever I open the lid, no matter how long it has been closed. I lose about 12% battery after one night sleep.

I brought the computer to the local apple store, but they didn't find any hardware issue after running a test. So I took it back, freshly installed the system. Before migrating data and software from a previous TimeMachine backup, I realized that the computer loses 5% battery after 24 hour sleep ~ which seems to be normal. Then I did the migration ... surprise! Now the computer loses again 15% power after one day sleep. I think it might be some software issue.

Could someone tell me how to see the ActivityMonitor CPU log? I want to know what is up and running during the sleep. Otherwise I will have to try to reinstall and observe one by one.

Thanks in advance.

That's definitely not normal. my AIR would lose around 2% all night (if it'd lose it at all) and I don't have to even quit the applications before closing the lid.

ZipZap
Nov 30, 2011, 05:43 AM
Did any of you disable hibernation?

tonfisk
Nov 30, 2011, 07:14 AM

Is that "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible"? I remember that I had it clicked before reinstalling the system. I choose it now again to see if this helps.

----------

A running VMWare Fusion VM (or the equivalent for Parallels) is known to keep the laptop from entering deep sleep. So if you use VMWare that may be the problem, you'd have to suspend your VMs before sleeping the laptop.

Apparently only Mail and Safari is running. Oh there is also Dropbox in the backstage. Could this be the problem?

Snoopy007
Nov 30, 2011, 07:48 AM

not as i am aware...does someone know how to check if the AIR was in hibernate?
i wonder in which state the Air is, i can wake it up with space-bar all the time, would think power-on would be normal, but new to the MAC-world...

even if i say manual hibernate it seems for me its with space-bar that fast back (2-3seconds) that i consider it as amazing and it was never in hibernate at all, more some kind of suspend only...

a)is there a dedicated command i could tell the air to hibernate?
b)how the air is suposed to wake up, is it space-bar or power-button?

anyway, awaiting Apples call on Friday

all VM (Fusion) closed

daonesteven
Nov 30, 2011, 08:53 AM

I did.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/22/why-hibernate-or-safe-sleep-mode-is-no-longer-necessary-in-os/

MacModMachine
Nov 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
Have you tried this?

huh ?

there is no sleep light .....

ZipZap
Nov 30, 2011, 11:26 AM
If Hibernation is disabled it will never go into deep sleep. So closing the lid is essenatially the same as leaving it on (less the display).

Apple only says you'll get 30 days of standby if hibernation is active.

hfg
Nov 30, 2011, 11:42 AM
This might help (although doesn't list Lion specifically):

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
Last Modified: November 07, 2011
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1776

Snoopy007
Nov 30, 2011, 12:20 PM
i pretty much google all day, some sharing, tried this, SMC, some printers...

does anyone now what this means, assume the assertions should be clean?

Juergens-MacBook-Air:~ Juergen$ pmset -g assertions
30.11.11 19:08:31 MEZ
Assertion status system-wide:
ChargeInhibit 0
PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
NoRealPowerSources_debug 0
CPUBoundAssertion 0
EnableIdleSleep 1
PreventSystemSleep 0
DisableInflow 0
DisableLowPowerBatteryWarnings 0