Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgtrack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
East Lansing
I unfortunately fell in the small group of people that had battery issues with my iPhone 4S... iOS 5.0.1 made it a little bit better, but not much. After updating to 5.1 last night I am noticing a HUGE difference today. My battery is working similarly to how my iPhone 4 was working. Anyone else notice this? I know it has only been one day, but it's a good sign.

aldejesus

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
PR
Downloading now. Will post results latter, Hope it works.

Battery life has improve a lot.

Last edited:

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Hopefully it's not just a meter re-calibration. See how it does in terms of actual hours used before fully drained which is the real tell.

Tony

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
This would be awesome? You will have to update us with how long of useage and/or idle battery life you are now getting with 5.1.

I am intrigued for my iPhone 4s and my wife's iPhone 4. She has been complaining for reduced battery life ever since we updated her iPhone 4 to iOS 5.

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
I would love to get some information on what is new with this version that is not in developer speak lol.

Like what fixes? What new features?

You guys that load it on your iPhone's ... let us know if you see anything new and/or fixed!

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I would love to get some information on what is new with this version that is not in developer speak lol.

Like what fixes? What new features?

You guys that load it on your iPhone's ... let us know if you see anything new and/or fixed!

There is really no other way to put it. They fixed some stuff and change the version to 5.1. My device seems snappier and battery seems a tad better. I have no quantifiable evidence other than what I have seen.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
location services seems to be running several seconds after closing a location enabled app on 5.1, previously, the location icon would go away after closing the app, both normally and force closing in the task bar. Also, safari no longer automatically opens bookmarks anymore. just a blank webpage

bgtrack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
East Lansing
Just to clarify a few things...

-There haven't been any mention of new features like there normally are on n.n releases...this might change as they roll out the new betas...

-On iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 I was getting these usages:

use ~ 2 hours 20 minutes (give or take 15-20 minutes)

standby ~ 4 hours 30 minutes (give or take 15-20 minutes)

I know have 17% battery left (starting at 100%) and these are my usage values:

use = 4 hours 40 minutes

standby = 7 hours 30 minutes

I would say that is quite an improvement...again this is one day and one iDevice...but it is nice to see an improvement.

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
location services seems to be running several seconds after closing a location enabled app on 5.1, previously, the location icon would go away after closing the app, both normally and force closing in the task bar. Also, safari no longer automatically opens bookmarks anymore. just a blank webpage

It opens a blank webpage? Fantastic! This has annoyed me for years that it opened bookmarks!

----------

Just to clarify a few things...

-There haven't been any mention of new features like there normally are on n.n releases...this might change as they roll out the new betas...

-On iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 I was getting these usages:

use ~ 2 hours 20 minutes (give or take 15-20 minutes)

standby ~ 4 hours 30 minutes (give or take 15-20 minutes)

use = 4 hours 40 minutes

I would say that is quite an improvement...again this is one day and one iDevice...but it is nice to see an improvement.

Nice improvement for sure! Hopefully this will prove be the norm rather then an exception!

I wonder if any of you have any ideas on how to fix my issue? With 5.01 when I charge my phone up it stops charging at 96%. Then if I unplug it and plug it back in the morning it goes up to 100%. Strange isn't it?

But, I don't want to derail the topic. It would be a tad strange if they didn't add any new features to .1 release. But, if they fix the battery life that much I won't complain :).

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine

use = 4 hours 40 minutes

Think you have some room for improvement...here's my 4S on 5.0.1

Attachments

• IMG_0026.PNG
    IMG_0026.PNG
    105.8 KB · Views: 130

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
I could only just get over a day of standby with my iphone 4 if I barely used it. On my 4S its pretty much dead by night time. Generally see about 5 and half hours usage with about 16 hours standby.

Will see how 5.1 runs today, will be fully discharged today for a proper full test tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.