PDA

View Full Version : Weird temperature problem

TheJing
Nov 29, 2011, 12:06 PM
I noticed that this has happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks.

What happens is I watch a video online and the temperature rapidly goes up, so far nothing to worry about. But it goes all the way up to 95C. Around there it stops. If I stop watching the video and basically only leave the Activity Monitor open it will remain that hot or maybe go down to 85-90C.

But, if I put the computer to sleep for literally 2 seconds and wake it up and keep watching that same video that made it go up to 95C it will go down to normal temperature. Right now it's at 54C watching that same video that got it to 95C a few minutes ago before putting it to sleep for 2 seconds.

It's like something, that isn't seen in the activity monitor, is keeping the CPU at work but will stop and go back to normal if the computer is put to sleep for even a second.

Is there anything I can reset or has anyone noticed this happening on their computers?

Appreciate all the advice and help I can get.

GuitarG20
Nov 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
my guess is your issue is related to a browser process that doesn't stop processing even when you close the video. flash does this a lot. what browser do you use/what's the specs of your mbp?

TheJing
Nov 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oh ****. This is actually happening on my Air not on my Pro. Posted it in the wrong forum. My bad.

I'm using Safari. But isn't is weird that it doesn't show up in the Activity Monitor? The CPU is at 99% idle and the temp stays the same.

GuitarG20
Nov 29, 2011, 12:21 PM
Oh ****. This is actually happening on my Air not on my Pro. Posted it in the wrong forum. My bad.

I'm using Safari. But isn't is weird that it doesn't show up in the Activity Monitor? The CPU is at 99% idle and the temp stays the same.

yes that is. are air's any good at dissipating heat? usually after i take my MBP off load it cools back down fairly quickly...

TheJing
Nov 29, 2011, 12:27 PM
yes that is. are air's any good at dissipating heat? usually after i take my MBP off load it cools back down fairly quickly...

So does the Air, 95% of the time. I don't understand what the problem is.

GuitarG20
Nov 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
So does the Air, 95% of the time. I don't understand what the problem is.

i'm assuming you can audibly hear that your fans are spooling up for the additional heat and staying that way after you stop the video (when your CPU is still hot)?

what program do you use to monitor temps/fan speed?

amoda
Nov 30, 2011, 12:44 PM
Similar thing happening to me, may be related.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/28/activitymonitor.png

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/855/tempgd.png