Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnlove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
I have a fully functional iOS app based on the UITabBarController with 11 UIViewControllers.

Now, I think I want to convert just one of these 11 to a UITableViewController?

What I really want to do is to keep this one UIViewController as is and add a UITableView as one of the NSObject components .. the other components include a UIWebView. The idea here is to be able to click on each row of the UITableView and thereby go to a different UIViewController. I definitely do not want the UITableView rows to occupy the height of the entire window.

Using this last approach, I go from one UIViewController to another by clicking on a UITableView row, rather than clicking on a item in the UITabBarController.

I believe that I've determined that 11 UIViewControllers is enough for the UITabBarController and I need a supplemental way of going to another UIViewController.

I know what I want to do, but can't grasp how. So, I'm running to you folk.

Thanks,

John Love

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
11 UIViewControllers, for just showing UIWebview, you know you can just load 1? and just reset the link? (also apple doesn't like apps that just have some webviews), according to the HIG though.
You can just have 1 UITableviewController, or kind of a GRID view as main screen, and when you click one, just load the same viewController,but with another parameter, which will be your link, and load it into the webview.
That way you can give it cute icons or something if it's a grid.
Problem, it's all depending on your setup. because 11 tabs is a tad too much.. Not userfriendly at all.

cbougher

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sounds to me like you need to make one of your tabbar view controllers a navigation controller. That type of controller works well with tableviews that push on a related view based on the cell selected

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.