PDA

View Full Version : When will these 'price drops' on 2011 MBAs happen?

gummy3
Nov 29, 2011, 12:41 PM
With recent news of the new line of MBAs expected for arrival sometime Q1 of 2012, there's been a lot of word that the current line MBAs (2011) will get a price drop to make room for the new line to come in.

Just wondering - when do you guys think we can expect these price drops to happen? And how much of a discount do you think we'll see, to make room for the roll-out of the new 2012 MBAs?

I'm contemplating waiting it out for the price drop to happen, but not sure how much longer I can wait and continue using my crummy old PC laptop :D

Thanks!

pgiguere1
Nov 29, 2011, 01:08 PM
I would guess only once the new models are out, which IMO will more likely be in Q2 2012.

Resellers usually have good discounts, and Apple will sell discounted older generations as refurbished.

paulrbeers
Nov 29, 2011, 01:18 PM
I would guess only once the new models are out, which IMO will more likely be in Q2 2012.

Resellers usually have good discounts, and Apple will sell discounted older generations as refurbished.

Exactly. Apple does not discount their hardware until the next generation comes out (see Mac Pros which haven't had an upgrade in over a year still priced as they were).

komoornik
Nov 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
I really don't believe in those rumors about complete new models in Q1 2012. I guess they can just launch 15" Air.

Most recent news for Ivy Bridge are saying that they will launch in April. And as of mobile CPUs, it will only be Core i7's.

gummy3
Nov 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've got a discount that's eligible for 12% off retail right now ($1050 marked down from $1199) - do you think that's worth taking the plunge now?

I'd thought we'd see price drops before the new MBAs come out, but I guess not until they're released eh? Which could be another 4-6 months from now...

cedwhatev
Nov 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
How about 2010 refurbs? I wonder if they will drop even more so when the 2012 models come out....

nooboob
Nov 29, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've got a discount that's eligible for 12% off retail right now ($1050 marked down from $1199) - do you think that's worth taking the plunge now?

From where? I'd like to get that discount too...

old-wiz
Nov 29, 2011, 02:59 PM
Apple never drops prices until new models are out and then only a limited number are available. It's not like they keep producing the old models. The discounts are not huge either.

iWolfie
Nov 29, 2011, 03:26 PM

I'd thought we'd see price drops before the new MBAs come out, but I guess not until they're released eh? Which could be another 4-6 months from now...

Tell me too where to get this discount... I'm looking for some but money is very short :/

gummy3
Nov 29, 2011, 04:06 PM
haha I just have personal hook-ups... combined with a modest sale right now at Future Shop.

thanks for all the comments - I guess I'll take the plunge and go for it!

heyloo
Nov 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
I personally don't hold my breath for Apple-deals really. Most of the time they're mediocre at best and usually not worth the wait for me... My guess is if there's any further price decrease, it'll be after the new MBAs are out.

jvmxtra
Nov 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
I think you should have just jumped on best buy $1099 price drop for mba 13 (lowest model).

I don't think you can beat that deal for long time now(if ever). IF it does, I would be all over it.

jamesryanbell
Nov 30, 2011, 12:40 AM
I'm still shocked that 2011 Refurb MBAs haven't appeared yet.

jvmxtra
Nov 30, 2011, 07:23 AM
I am surprised as well.. however I don't see 13 inch base model mba 2011 dropping below $1099(refurb) anytime soon.. you should have gotten it from best buy if you wanted one..

jvmxtra
Nov 30, 2011, 07:31 PM
Now the bigger question is whether we gonna see same price drop from best buy before year is over. I hope so as if they do, I will jump on it.(along w/ their buyback program)

Scottsdale
Dec 1, 2011, 01:13 AM
Best Buy had the 13" MBA discounted by $200 the four days before Thanksgiving... that was a pretty good discount for any Apple product.

GekkePrutser
Dec 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm still shocked that 2011 Refurb MBAs haven't appeared yet.

Yes they have! They've been up for a few weeks, they just go out of stock almost immediately so you have to be quick. And it's only the 13" so far.

You can use refurb.me (http://www.refurb.me/us/) to get notified when they come in stock again, the last time was 3 days ago.

Wicked1
Dec 1, 2011, 09:07 AM
I for one have not even seen a 2011 MBA Refurb on Apple's Site, so not sure when and if they will even get on the Refurb Lists? All I see is 13" and 11" 2010 MBA's

paulrbeers
Dec 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
Yes they have! They've been up for a few weeks, they just go out of stock almost immediately so you have to be quick. And it's only the 13" so far.

You can use refurb.me (http://www.refurb.me/us/) to get notified when they come in stock again, the last time was 3 days ago.

Exactly. I have seen them as well. Because they are so much better than last year's models (and the refurbed prices really aren't that much better for the 2010's over the 2011's) they disappear almost as fast as they show up.

Just waiting for the Mac Mini Server to show back up... Grrrr....