Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Got the Sword and the Cleave I ordered today!

Overall I'm very impressed with these cases. The craftsmanship on the Sword is the best of any case i've gotten so far. My review isn't going to be super in depth because it's time for finals at school and I've got a TON of work due tonight lol.

Ordered the Sword from Jacky Lin at Aliexpress here and the Cleave from his store here

I got the Sword case as a replacement for fitment issues I had with another case from Jacky. I ordered this and the Deff Cleave on the 10. They were delivered on the 23, but I had left school for Thanksgiving already so I couldn't get it until today. The last thing I ordered from Jacky only took about a week for delivery. Same shipping method, yet my school made me drive to their off-campus mail site to sign for the package. normally they would have just stuck this small of a box in my mailbox.

I noticed very little if any reception issue with the case. The fit is fantastic and the color looks great. The packaging is also top notch; it's in an acrylic box. It also came with a tiny screw driver, 6 silver screws, 4 black screws, and a rough rubber 3M back sticker. (4 screws are required to secure the case). The back sticker feels really nice in the hand, but I don't want to cover up my aluminum backplate just yet :cool: the screws for the case are some of the smallest I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with lol.

Here are the pics for the Sword:
IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
The Cleave was packaged fairly well. Had a sort of thin plastic wrapped around it's plastic box. The case is displayed up to, and the tools are in the space at the bottom. came with a tiny allen wrentch and 4 screws (two are required to secure the case). Also, 2 strips of thin foam padding. I went a little nuts cutting them apart and placing them around the inside of the bumper, but I know it'll keep the bumper from touching the antenna. The fit is great, I just wish the grain/casting of both pieces were the same.

(for those who want covered volume buttons/ mute switch, this case will work. It's the same case designed for the iP4, but it should work with the iP4S)

Pictures for the Cleave:
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Some of the photos were taken with a 3GS, the rest with the 4S. If you have any more questions, post them here!

Last edited:

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Great pictures!

I wonder if on the "original" sword unit, the box states it has a velvit (sic) lining....

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Great pictures!

I wonder if on the "original" sword unit, the box states it has a velvit (sic) lining....

good question.. it's not actually velvet though. it's actually a thin foam. Like what's supplied with the Cleave, except they put it all the way around the inside of the bumper.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
good question.. it's not actually velvet though. it's actually a thin foam. Like what's supplied with the Cleave, except they put it all the way around the inside of the bumper.

You said that on the Cleave, the two pieces had different finishes - is it like a different material? Or maybe was painted a different day...

I really like the look of that bumper...

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
horrible knock-off on the Cleave case, the volume buttons and silent switch should at least be covered like the original! which makes it a dead give away as being a fake.

draco-iv-case-review.png

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
You said that on the Cleave, the two pieces had different finishes - is it like a different material? Or maybe was painted a different day...

I really like the look of that bumper...

No, it appears to be the same material. Just from certain angles, you can tell that they weren't cut from the same piece of metal, or that like you said, they were painted on different days.

horrible knock-off on the Cleave case, the volume buttons and silent switch should at least be covered like the original! which makes it a dead give away as being a fake.

I wouldn't call it a horrible knock off. It's got fantastic fit and pretty good finish. You say that just because it doesn't have the volume buttons covered? I kinda prefer the open side, but that's just me. And no, I'm not trying to just defend my purchase lol. I knew what I was getting coming into it, and I'm quite happy that I paid $19 for it instead of the ~$100 for the real one. I dont think $80 is worth covered volume buttons lol.

Not like someone's gonna come up to me at Ihop and yell at me for having a "fake" Cleave case. I looks great, feels nice in the hand, and adds a little heft to the phone.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
No, it appears to be the same material. Just from certain angles, you can tell that they weren't cut from the same piece of metal, or that like you said, they were painted on different days.

I wouldn't call it a horrible knock off. It's got fantastic fit and pretty good finish. You say that just because it doesn't have the volume buttons covered? I kinda prefer the open side, but that's just me. And no, I'm not trying to just defend my purchase lol. I knew what I was getting coming into it, and I'm quite happy that I paid $19 for it instead of the ~$100 for the real one. I dont think $80 is worth covered volume buttons lol.

Not like someone's gonna come up to me at Ihop and yell at me for having a "fake" Cleave case. I looks great, feels nice in the hand, and adds a little heft to the phone.

I looked at the Jacky Lin Cleave and he includes the button covers...

Not to be obstinate at all - just to note that these knock offs are of varying quality - this review is a good tool to help determine where to shop...

Thanks

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/...ium-Bumper-for-iphone-4-4G-Free-shipping.html

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
ive got a silver sword case on its way, should be here any day now. Glad you have said there are next to no signal issues as imo the sword is the best looking aluminium bumper on the market.

cant wait to receive it.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I looked at the Jacky Lin Cleave and he includes the button covers...

Not to be obstinate at all - just to note that these knock offs are of varying quality - this review is a good tool to help determine where to shop...

Thanks

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/...ium-Bumper-for-iphone-4-4G-Free-shipping.html

Jacky Lin has them set up as two different cases. The one you linked to is classified as an iPhone 4 case, and the one I picked up is an iPhone 4S case. Supposedly the one for the iP4 fits the iP4S but there's a bit of an issue with the mute button? Idk exactly. I just decided I was ok with the open volume buttons :)

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Interesting... didn't spot that - wonder if the one that includes the buttons is GSM iPhone 4 only - as the CDMA has the same button layout as the 4S

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009

Didn't mean any disrispect i'm just saying if your going to buy a knockoff case then you should find one thats of quality and resembles the real product, like the one Ivabign has linked to. I bought a knock of vapor pro and the quality is top notch. If you like the open design then thats all that matters, i was just stating my opinion.

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Sword looks nice...

Let us know after you have used it for a few days on any reception/gps/wifi issues...
Tks...

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Didn't mean any disrispect i'm just saying if your going to buy a knockoff case then you should find one thats of quality and resembles the real product, like the one Ivabign has linked to. I bought a knock of vapor pro and the quality is top notch. If you like the open design then thats all that matters, i was just stating my opinion.

I took your post in the wrong way, my bad. I was thinking "the post has been up maybe ten minutes and I'm already getting zinged" lol.

I agree that most of these knock-off cases are of pretty darn good quality though for how much they're charging. Makes me wonder what the mark ups on the "real" versions are..

Sword looks nice...

Let us know after you have used it for a few days on any reception/gps/wifi issues...
Tks...

Will do.

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
I took your post in the wrong way, my bad. I was thinking "the post has been up maybe ten minutes and I'm already getting zinged" lol.

I agree that most of these knock-off cases are of pretty darn good quality though for how much they're charging. Makes me wonder what the mark ups on the "real" versions are..

No worries. Some of these knock-offs are excellent quality and cheap the only downside is the wait, but worth it.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
No worries. Some of these knock-offs are excellent quality and cheap the only downside is the wait, but worth it.

With the e13ctron knock off case I ordered, I had it in my hands 10 days after ordering. Thats quicker then what half the people in the real e13ctron case thread are having to wait. This time I wasn't as impressed by the speed, but overall, I can't complain. Hong Kong is like 7900+ miles away after all..

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
With the e13ctron knock off case I ordered, I had it in my hands 10 days after ordering. Thats quicker then what half the people in the real e13ctron case thread are having to wait. This time I wasn't as impressed by the speed, but overall, I can't complain. Hong Kong is like 7900+ miles away after all..

i'm looking into purchasing the e13ctron knock off case, this is probably the only exception as far as knock off goes as not being the same because I don't like the way the real ones have the screws on the front instead of the back.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
i'm looking into purchasing the e13ctron knock off case, this is probably the only exception as far as knock off goes as not being the same because I don't like the way the real ones have the screws on the front instead of the back.

that's part of why I bought it. I was contacting a few users about purchasing their real e13ctron cases, but I saw the "fakes" and noticed they had the screws on the back and they were half the price of a used legit one and I jumped on it. worked out alright. fit wasn't prefect unfortunately. I explain that in my review on here.

skiwil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Word of warning

I bought the sword and it absolutely killed the signal of my 4s.
I had high hopes for this case as I really like the minimal design. But the second I put it on my signal crashed.

Without the case -85 with the case -107 enough for me to lose 3G reception entirely where I had full before. Gutted.

I went for the gun metal gray version and it looks amazing feels amazing just kills it though.

If anyone wants to buy it drop me a PM. I'm in the UK.

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
Woulda took a heck of a lot less time if the OP just posted a video instead all them pics.
Looks nice, I can't imagine my 4s signal being any worse than it is now, (my old 3g blows it away) -

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Word of warning

I bought the sword and it absolutely killed the signal of my 4s.
I had high hopes for this case as I really like the minimal design. But the second I put it on my signal crashed.

Without the case -85 with the case -107 enough for me to lose 3G reception entirely where I had full before. Gutted.

I went for the gun metal gray version and it looks amazing feels amazing just kills it though.

If anyone wants to buy it drop me a PM. I'm in the UK.

did you get a real or a knock off? for me, I've noticed an average -2 change from the case. -95 to -97 and -85 to -87 at different places in my building. Max drop I saw was -5.

I'll keep a watchful eye though!

skiwil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I got a knock off one. Only £14 so not complaining
To much and ill go back to the vapour pro for now considering getting the e13tron case to see what that's like.

The sword is IMO the best looking one of the lot though. Unless anyone knows if an alloy case that look like the sword without the reception issues??

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Woulda took a heck of a lot less time if the OP just posted a video instead all them pics.
Looks nice, I can't imagine my 4s signal being any worse than it is now, (my old 3g blows it away) -

true, but they would have needed to be recorded by an iP3GS, and that wouldn't have looked very nice. Plus, I dont like the sound of my voice in video so I wouldn't have wanted to do a review. And, I like using the camera on my iP4S when i can :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.