Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi

Is anyone Final Cut Pro X certified associate? Howto prepare for exam (self study)?

I have no pro experience in video editing. Wish to become a pro.

Recommended Exam Preparation
We recommend the following exam preparation strategies:
• Gain experience with the application.
• Learn from experts: FCP 101: Introduction to Final Cut Pro or FCP 200:
Comprehensive Study of Final Cut Pro.
• Study the Apple Pro Training Series book “Final Cut Pro X” by Diana
Weynand.
• Review the optional study materials.
• Review the objectives and sample questions in this guide.

Source: http://training.apple.com/pdf/fcpx-exam-prep.pdf

I would buy the book, read and practise a lot

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X [Paperback]
Diana Weynand (Author)
Paperback: 544 pages
Publisher: Peachpit Press; 1 edition (October 8, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0321774671
ISBN-13: 978-0321774675

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Tra...4671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322655351&sr=8-1

other hints? Better books?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Thanks, but first I need to learn :)

IMHO this blog posting is SPAM, paid by Orange Training. Orange Training wish that you buy their exam simulator.
Yes your right about the Orange Training, however I didnt post it as SPAM. I copied and pasted from my fave FCP web site http://www.fcp.co.
Best way to learn is to get in it.
I teach it at local college.
Ive had FCP legacy in my blood since v1.
It wasnt easy to break away to FCPX but it was worth it :)
The free online tutorials are helpful too.
There is also an awesome manual rewrite here
http://www.dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Manuals.html

Have fun, its worth learning :)

----------

another good link to learn from
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_homepage_index.html

----------

Hi

Is anyone Final Cut Pro X certified associate? Howto prepare for exam (self study)?
BTW, wouldn't you learn to crawl before running?

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi mBox

thanks for links. But which book from Amazon.com do you recommend me for introduction (and passing the exam)?

----------

Apple certs don't mean squat.

I am not native English speaker. Sorry for that.

Does this means Apple certs are easy?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Yes dont focus on the certificate. Learn it first.
From my experience it doesnt get you anywhere unless you have a killer reel.
Dont just stop at FCP either, look around and get some edit time in Avid and Premiere.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Does this means Apple certs are easy?

It means they're largely unnecessary. I don't begrudge anyone for getting the certification, but simply going through the motions by learning through a book, online tutorials, or a class should be sufficient.

I have yet to run into anyone in the real world that has gone through the certification process. I can see it being beneficial if you ever want to teach a course or something along those lines, but it's a solid demo reel that will be much more valuable in getting work.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
The Apple Cert means you know when to push which button, but that makes you a technician, not an editor. The certificate is cool though to cover a crack in the wall.
Check out all tutorials and books you can find on EDITING, while learning FCP X on the side.

As others said, a demo reel will give you more business than a logo on your business card.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
The Peachpit books are, btw, the "official" Apple certified books for the Apple certification training. You know the book in and out (and can answer all the test questions inside), you have good chances to pass the exam.

If you want to be a pro (what is that in any way?), you should be fluent in more than one software. What happens if your first client asks you to build his project in Premier or Avid? Saying "no can do, sir" to your first client already can give your reputation (the most important thing in this business) a huge hit.

For me it is easy to be married with FCP, as I live on a small Pacific island without much competition (and not much business), but I produce a live talk show a couple of times a year with a local TV station. They use DVStorm, so I have to know my way through DVStorm.

Tip: Besides FCP, learn at least some Premier and a bit Avid.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I never been asked if I'm certified or even if I have a degree. It's all about who you know and how talented you are.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

cgbier said:
The Peachpit books are, btw, the "official" Apple certified books for the Apple certification training. You know the book in and out (and can answer all the test questions inside), you have good chances to pass the exam.

If you want to be a pro (what is that in any way?), you should be fluent in more than one software. What happens if your first client asks you to build his project in Premier or Avid? Saying "no can do, sir" to your first client already can give your reputation (the most important thing in this business) a huge hit.

For me it is easy to be married with FCP, as I live on a small Pacific island without much competition (and not much business), but I produce a live talk show a couple of times a year with a local TV station. They use DVStorm, so I have to know my way through DVStorm.

Tip: Besides FCP, learn at least some Premier and a bit Avid.

No Edius upgrade? DV storm sucks.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
No Edius upgrade? DV storm sucks.
I know it sucks. They are in it to make money, they don't want to upgrade. We've been producing for them before, first with Amigas, then G3 iMacs. When they left us in 2003 or so, they bought a DVStorm hardware package that they never upgraded - still going RCA out from their XL and GL... :rolleyes:

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If you ask me, software certifications rarely mean much in this business. An FCP X certification would tell someone that you're proficient in how the software operates, but says very little about your skills as an actual editor. Being a good editor goes far beyond knowing what buttons to press in an NLE.

If your overall goal is to become an editor that gets paying work, you need to learn the necessary software and the actual craft. Craft is something that isn't easily taught in online classes and books. It takes talent, practice and being open to criticism.

I never been asked if I'm certified or even if I have a degree. It's all about who you know and how talented you are.

I second that. I have a degree in film (and still buried in student loans) and no one has ever asked me if I had a degree or if I was certified in using FCP or Avid. My prior work and references get me jobs.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
There can only be one...

Well my title is obviously wrong ;)
Learn em all! Dont stop at one app.
Check out the industry sites and magazines.
Now of course while your'e learning, pile up the demo reel so that you can edit it down to a good decent 2 to 3 minutes.
Ive been thru the wash as a student, employee and teacher in this field and have had to pleasure and dis-pleasure of a lot of demo reels.
Having a cert doesnt do squat unless the it states that in the job posting.
Which is rare these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.