Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
This was raised in another thread but not definitively answered. Suppose I've got an iPod with 500 songs on it. I turn iTunes Match on, giving that iPod wifi access to my library of 19,000 songs.

My wife uses this iPod; she's out doing a workout without wifi access. Will her 500 songs still be there? Or is there a brand new huge library from which we have to start over and download songs?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
no, the songs stay on the device. The songs in your iCloud are also added to the device with a cloud icon next to them so that you can dl them to the device.

Your original songs will stay on the device though so that you can still have access to that music when not connected to 3G or Wi-Fi.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Thanks, that helps. I am assuming that when you are not connected to wifi, it just shows the artists/albums/songs that have been downloaded to the device. When you are connected to wifi, how are the downloaded songs shown? Is there a separate playlist or category for them?

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Last night I tried it on my wife's iPod Touch. It seems to be working, and it does not appear to have deleted any existing music on the iPod.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
FWIW, I read (I think) on Macworld that apparently iOS 5 does delete songs that are older to make room for more. I personally can't confirm this as I haven't noticed any songs actually removed from my device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.