Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitygraphix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Hi,

I just want to make sure I do this the right way...

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01.
I use iCloud for my back-up for everything.... except my Music

(almost all my music comes from CD... or mix from my brother. I don't use iTunes Match because it will not be able to match my brother mixes)

Can I only sync music form iTunes and everything else from iCloud ? Or will syncing music form iTunes will erase my apps and all ?

How would you do it in order to have everything working right ?

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Hi,

I just want to make sure I do this the right way...

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01.
I use iCloud for my back-up for everything.... except my Music

(almost all my music comes from CD... or mix from my brother. I don't use iTunes Match because it will not be able to match my brother mixes)

Can I only sync music form iTunes and everything else from iCloud ? Or will syncing music form iTunes will erase my apps and all ?

How would you do it in order to have everything working right ?

If iTunes Match can't match your brother's mix, it'll simply upload it to the cloud instead of matching it. ITunes Match is your best tool to use.

Infinitygraphix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
If iTunes Match can't match your brother's mix, it'll simply upload it to the cloud instead of matching it. ITunes Match is your best tool to use.

OK thanks... but it still don't answer my original question.... Can I synch everything with iCloud but sync music from iTunes ?

Infinitygraphix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Yes you can. In fact, if you don't pay for iTunes Match, then the only way to get music onto your iPhone is to buy from iTunes store or sync from your computer using iTunes.

Yes, I know... but syncing music from my iTunes computer library will or will not erase my apps/contacts/calendar/apps sync with iCloud ?

This is what I want to be sure before going ahead with the iTunes syncing.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

iTunes Matches individual songs and will attempt to match anything you throw at it that meets the requirements.

My wifey got a mix CD from her brother about five years ago. They imported as Track1, Track2, etc. Only two didn't match. I then used Shazam to find out what they were and entered the information into iTunes. Easy peasy.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
You're either syncing your info with icloud or your syncing it with iTunes on your computer. Once iCloud is activated, the options to manually sync info in iTunes is greyed out. So, yes, you should be able to sync without any problems from iCloud. iTunes Match has nothing to do with syncing your app and personal information. iCloud has nothing to do with syncing your music unless you're not using iTunes Match and itll sync music bought from iTunes.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Yes, I know... but syncing music from my iTunes computer library will or will not erase my apps/contacts/calendar/apps sync with iCloud ?

This is what I want to be sure before going ahead with the iTunes syncing.

Now what I did was when your iPhone is connected to iTunes, go under the info tab at the top. Make sure "Sync Address book Contacts" "Sync iCal Calenders", and "Sync Mail Accounts" are unchecked, now if you're running Lion or Vista or Windows 7, I am not sure. I am running Snow Leopard sill and it messes things up syncing these items, unless anyone else has any ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.