Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asuqb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have been using Final Cut Studio 2 since 2009. One of my primary cameras is a Sony HVR-HD 1000U. I love the camera, bought it the same time as I switched to MAC/Final Cut. Both have worked perfectly til now. Now Final Cut will not recognize the Sony. I can hook up my old Canon XL-1S and Final Cut recognizes it instantly and I am able to capture video (as long as I am not wanting to capture HDV)

I have tried changing all of the Audio/Video setting I can think of or try. I have downloaded and installed the most current updates. I am extremely frustrated at this point.

The Sony recognizes the iLink connection in it's menu and the firewire is the same one I used with the Canon... Any Suggestions???

Thanks, Joe

asuqb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thank you. I tried both deleting the files then I tried to un-istall/re-install. To know avail. I still can not capture. Final Cut is not recognizing the Sony HDV camera.

Any other thoughts?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
If the cam doesn't show up in the System Profiler, I'd think of a wonky FW cable or a fried port.
I had a cable that didn't let me capture from a specific camera, but without issue from the others.

asuqb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have tried three different firewire cables. two different 800 port connections 1 400 port connection. Still the same. I am now going to try to unistall all of FCP Studio 2 and re-install.

If you have any other recommendations, I am definitely all ears... so to speak

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Can you try a different computer? It might not be the Mac at fault. You seem to have tried everything else apart from the last two things (FCP and the Sony) so it might be worth a shot before going through the hassle of a reinstall.

I hope it works out for you.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
If the XL works and you tested several cables, then I'd assume your cam's FW port is dead. As MartinX said, try a different computer first, before you go into drastic measures.

Re-install? This is Mac, not Windows ;)

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
If the XL works and you tested several cables, then I'd assume your cam's FW port is dead.
Deadish, maybe. Like the parrot.
The Sony recognizes the iLink connection in it's menu

Re-install? This is Mac, not Windows
Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no...
Bad things can still happen to good computers. Reinstalling software is still a valid option for troubleshooting problems with a Mac. Unlike Windows, however, I would put reinstalling Mac SW at the end of the list of things to try (like the OP has), rather than at the beginning, like Steve Ballmer does.

talkindrum

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I have been using Final Cut Studio 2 since 2009. One of my primary cameras is a Sony HVR-HD 1000U. I love the camera, bought it the same time as I switched to MAC/Final Cut. Both have worked perfectly til now. Now Final Cut will not recognize the Sony. I can hook up my old Canon XL-1S and Final Cut recognizes it instantly and I am able to capture video (as long as I am not wanting to capture HDV)

I have tried changing all of the Audio/Video setting I can think of or try. I have downloaded and installed the most current updates. I am extremely frustrated at this point.

The Sony recognizes the iLink connection in it's menu and the firewire is the same one I used with the Canon... Any Suggestions???

Thanks, Joe

Joe, i had the same issue with my Panasonic pvdv-953 ... i was about to pull my hair out, so i just let it sit for a month or so before i tried again ha ha, i tried all the things mentioned here and then some... in the end i think it had something to do with the firewire connection because it is now working again ! i suggest power down with camera disconnected, power back up, then plug in camera to its play movie setting "vcr" or "play" etc... then open FCP, and click - file - log & capture, you should get the color bars and be good to go...
it worked for me, good luck!

careypo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Try connecting the camera to the free trial version of Veescope Live. Veescope Live will allow you to record from any HDV, DVC Pro, or DVC Pro HD camera. It can also do some cool green screen stuff, as well.

careypo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Try downloading the trial version of Veescope Live. Veescope Live will allow you to capture from HDV and DV cameras. It also great for green screen work which is what I use it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.