Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At Apple's "Let's Talk iPhone" event in October, Epic Games showed off some visuals from Infinity Blade II, the sequel to the company's ground-breaking and profitable title launched nearly a year ago. Infinity Blade, utilizing Epic's Unreal Engine 3, has been highly-regarded for its rich visual textures and gesture-based input in fighting scenes.

infinity_blade_ii.jpg

As an encore performance, Infinity Blade II is making its way into the App Store today, with our sister site TouchArcade calling it "an iOS masterpiece".
Infinity Blade 2 is a step a step or two beyond what was accomplished in the original, adding in layers and layers of next-level environmental and character texture detail on top of a ton of fantastic ambient touches -- sharper shadows, stronger lighting, and a glut of atmospheric effects bolster what's already a visual delight, especially on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

It's a consistently well put together visual feast that shows off what Unreal 3, and now your new devices, can do.
Beyond the enhanced visuals, Infinity Blade 2 also advances the storyline of the original game and expands the combat experience to include more options and less predictable enemies.

Infinity Blade II has already appeared in Apple's Asia-Pacific App Stores such as in New Zealand [App Store], and should be hitting the U.S. store priced at $6.99 at 11:00 PM Eastern Time tonight.

Update: Infinity Blade II is now available in the U.S. App Store.

Article Link: 'Infinity Blade II' Hitting App Store with Cutting-Edge Visuals and Enhanced Gameplay

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Looking soooo forward to playing it! Hopefully we won't kill the download servers with this :)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Any word on price? $9.99?

edit...nevermind: $6.99 as per article. Thanks for pointing out my lack of effort.

Last edited:

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
The graphics look amazing. Cant help feeling this is basically a tech demo though and the gameplay is still rather limited.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Really like the graphics but I hope epic games makes it better like exploring around or something still going to buy it tho

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
iOS Exclusivity?

Now there is a switch. Having exclusivity with this game and more games when the next version of iOS with PowerVR 6 /A6 based SoC stretching the OpenGL version to 3.x [3.2 in PowerVR 6] and the OpenGL Shading Language 1.5 to the A6 will really push the boundaries for gaming on portable systems.

PS3, XBox360 and Wii are all going to lose ground even more rapidly when the iPad 3 with the Retina Display arrives.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Now there is a switch. Having exclusivity with this game and more games when the next version of iOS with PowerVR 6 /A6 based SoC stretching the OpenGL version to 3.x [3.2 in PowerVR 6] and the OpenGL Shading Language 1.5 to the A6 will really push the boundaries for gaming on portable systems.

PS3, XBox360 and Wii are all going to lose ground even more rapidly when the iPad 3 with the Retina Display arrives.

It will be an exciting race, to be sure. I definitely think that Epic/Chair should port this to the Vita when it launches. They are both ARM and PowerVR hardware, so it is a natural fit. However, you're right. If iOS hardware continues to iterate every year it will be interesting to see how the software develops along with that breakneck pace.

Mix

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Australia and NZ are just under Asia. I could swim there from the Indonesia.

edit: If I were in shape.

Just under not in and Australia is its own continent anyway.

"New Zealand is an oceanic island far from a continent and thus, like the Caribbean, it is not on a continent but is often considered to be part of the "Australia and Oceania" region."

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
the first one was great, visuals where better than some FPS games at 40 dollars.

This one looks to be yaw dropping sweet I can't even imagine what the iPad 3 retina display will bring when it comes to gaming on tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.