PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a new utility in the utilitys folder

yeah
Nov 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
Here is my suggestion: Make an app called Game Utility. This app will allow you to install any PC games on a mac without Boot Camp or any other apps. This will be great because you don't have to reboot (bootcamp) to play the games. And you won't need windows (unless you do) because now you can play any games on a mac! :)

Intell
Nov 30, 2011, 05:31 PM
And how would this work without Apple designing its own Wine clone? Where would the fake Windows filesystem exist? Where is the registry so that games can save their data? What about DirectX powered Games? What about games that require Microsoft proprietary libraries?

yeah
Nov 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
And how would this work without Apple designing its own Wine clone? Where would the fake Windows filesystem exist? Where is the registry so that games can save their data? What about DirectX powered Games? What about games that require Microsoft proprietary libraries?

1) Make a "games" folder in the Home folder.
2) Your right. There would be no space for the registry files.
3) Change the DirectX to OpenGL.
4) Put all the libraries in the Games folder.

Intell
Nov 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
1) Make a "games" folder in the Home folder.
2) Your right. There would be no space for the registry files.
3) Change the DirectX to OpenGL.
4) Put all the libraries in the Games folder.

What about games that spew files all throughout the hard drive?

DirectX is a Microsoft game engine. Game developers would have to rewrite their games to work in OpenGL.
Those libraries are Microsoft property. Apple can't just copy them without extensive licensing. Look at NTFS, Apple had to make their own driver for that instead of using Microsoft's.

yeah
Nov 30, 2011, 05:42 PM
What about games that spew files all throughout the hard drive?

DirectX is a Microsoft game engine. Game developers would have to rewrite their games to work in OpenGL.
Those libraries are Microsoft property. Apple can't just copy them without extensive licensing. Look at NTFS, Apple had to make their own driver for that instead of using Microsoft's.

So basically no PC games can run on a mac unless you have windows or any other app (vmware fusion)?

Intell
Nov 30, 2011, 05:44 PM
There are Wine programs that you can use. CrossOver, DarWine, WineBottler to name a few. But most programs have a hard time working correctly in them.

yeah
Nov 30, 2011, 05:45 PM
There are Wine programs that you can use. CrossOver, DarWine, WineBottler to name a few. But most programs have a hard time working correctly in them.

Oh ok thanks :)

heisenberg123
Nov 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
So basically no PC games can run on a mac unless you have windows or any other app (vmware fusion)?

seriously?

old-wiz
Nov 30, 2011, 06:06 PM
seriously?

+1. Sometimes when I read these threads I find myself wondering if I've been drinking again, or someone switched the aspirin with something else.

yeah
Nov 30, 2011, 06:56 PM
+1. Sometimes when I read these threads I find myself wondering if I've been drinking again, or someone switched the aspirin with something else.

First, you never +1'd him. Second I thought it was possible to play Windows games on OSX :p