PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MBA - bad SSD / warranty care

PoppaJoe
Nov 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have a 2 month old 2011 11" MBA that suddenly wouldn't boot up; it stayed on the white screen with the spinning wheel.

I took it into the Apple store and they ran diagnostics on it. It wouldn't boot up from external drive or usb key. 24 hrs later, they think the SSD has gone bad. They're going to replace the SSD. Should I tell them to just give me a new MBA?

I haven't purchased apple care yet, but I will probably since the repair bill that they emailed me (that I don't have to pay) is over $1000 in parts and labor.

Off topic, I have insurance on my phone. I was going to cancel it since I take care of my devices. I lost it out and about. Less than 24 hours later, after my insurance claim, i have a new replacement phone.

simsaladimbamba
Nov 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
Why should you get a new MBA if the SSD is replaceable, thus cheaper for Apple and the disposal factory?

daonesteven
Nov 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
i'm confused. Is an SSD replacement over $1000 in cost/labor? If not, then why did you get a repair bill for that much if all they're doing is replacing the SSD?

Either way, you can try to ask them for a new one but unless you're a lucky bastard, I wouldn't bet a dime on it.

thundersteele
Nov 30, 2011, 06:32 PM
Did they maybe change the logic board and the SSD?

A broken HD/SSD is probably the most common issue with computers, and by no means a reason to replace the whole unit. But you can always try.

dlimes13
Nov 30, 2011, 06:36 PM
A replacement phone and replacement computer are two totally different things. It's the norm to just get a replacement phone, but with a computer, it's too much money and parts are usually interchangeable. Especially the SSD.

PoppaJoe
Dec 1, 2011, 12:45 AM
I thought computer repair was similar to iPod or iPhone repair in which you just got a new one. It makes sense that its cheaper to just do the repair.

The 128 gb SSD is $795, logic board is $340, and repair labor is $39. All covered under warranty of course. It was interesting to know how much these parts would cost. I'm glad it was still under warranty. It's motivation to get AppleCare!

Minhthien
Dec 1, 2011, 01:35 AM
I thought computer repair was similar to iPod or iPhone repair in which you just got a new one. It makes sense that its cheaper to just do the repair.

The 128 gb SSD is $795, logic board is $340, and repair labor is $39. All covered under warranty of course. It was interesting to know how much these parts would cost. I'm glad it was still under warranty. It's motivation to get AppleCare!

Thats crazy! for 795 bucks you can get a 512gb SSD!:eek:

halledise
Dec 1, 2011, 04:18 AM
I have a 2 month old 2011 11" MBA that suddenly wouldn't boot up; it stayed on the white screen with the spinning wheel.

I took it into the Apple store and they ran diagnostics on it. It wouldn't boot up from external drive or usb key. 24 hrs later, they think the SSD has gone bad. They're going to replace the SSD. Should I tell them to just give me a new MBA?

I haven't purchased apple care yet, but I will probably since the repair bill that they emailed me (that I don't have to pay) is over $1000 in parts and labor.

Off topic, I have insurance on my phone. I was going to cancel it since I take care of my devices. I lost it out and about. Less than 24 hours later, after my insurance claim, i have a new replacement phone.

you are within the 90 days - demand a new Air.
it's your right.
if the SSD is fecked already, then the rest of the machine may go the same way too.

be strong