Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
95% of the time I use my Powerbook as my "office" computer in the studio (internet, word proc., etc). Should I leave the Powerbook plugged in all the time?

Does it matter?

I calibrated the battery when I got the PB.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
wow, it never ceases to amaze me how many of these threads I see.

Every week or so, try to run the battery down fully (until the PB sleeps) and plug it in to charge to full again.

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Slight Twist

OK so my Powerbook has been giving me strange readings for my battery power for awhile now so I finally decided to calibrate it. The problem is I never got a message saying that my battery was low and that the laptop would be going to sleep if I didn't plug it in soon AND it never DID go to sleep! It just died, completely. I'm in the process of charging it back to full power but this sort of worries me. Is this bad?

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Everything seems OK so far...

I just booted after getting the battery back to full power and everything seems to be on the level, however, either my battery life just got a lot longer or the percentage reading for the power isn't working right beause it has been stuck on 99% for a good four or five minutes. The estimated time remaining in the Energy Saver seems to be very responsive, varying from 56:03 to 62:51 depending on what I happen to be doing at the moment. I think its wishful thinking that this has made my battery stronger than ever before. Anyone know what's going on?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
James Philp said:
wow, it never ceases to amaze me how many of these threads I see.

Every week or so, try to run the battery down fully (until the PB sleeps) and plug it in to charge to full again.

Why every week or so?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
neocell said:
Maybe I'm ignorant, or just plain stupid, but why should this be done?

Well, it helps with the battery to make it last longer, but also it gives more accurate readouts for battery life (like on an iPod, when its fully charged and it only says it has about one hour left and the bar never moves, except the powerbook and ibook batteries can be FIXED).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.